Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Customizing a flyfishing jon boat  (Read 4785 times)

Sir Snag-A-Lot

Customizing a flyfishing jon boat
« on: August 18, 2009, 02:09:30 PM »

I finally got an older 10' Lowe flatbottom boat for flyfishing the interior.  Sometimes I go out with a partner, but I often just fish with my dog.  I want to set up a simple to use anchoring system for the front and back of the boat.  Right now I am just tying rope to the handles at either end of the boat, but this is far from ideal. 

What do you guys suggest for improving this?  I know that Scotty makes an anchor puller.  Should I just buy those, or is there a better and cheaper way of doing it myself?

Also, what depth finders would you guys suggest for fishing the interior?

fishdreamer

Re: Customizing a flyfishing jon boat
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:10:35 PM »

Hello Sir
Scotty anchor mounts are very good.  There are a couple of different mounts depending on your boat.  It is nice to be able to use the flush mount ones if possible.  When you buy rope buy the good soft, thick nylon one and buy 50' for each anchor.  Suggest #15 pound anchor in front and #10 for the back.  Happy fishing.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 08:18:42 AM »

Here's a look at a 10' Lund that I customized and repainted this spring as an extra boat for our cabin for my son or friends to fish from. 

Started with this:

Finished with this:

I would definitely get the scotty anchor mounts and pullers, 12-15 lb anchors (I like cannonballs) so you'll hold on the windiest of days, carpeted plywood boards are a must to protect your fly lines, adds stability, and adds years of life to your boat, a swivel seat (this one is portable to switch from the centre or to the rear seat), rod holders (scotty or berkley).  Personally, I don't have any rod holders in my flyfisher because I don't troll and prefer to set the reel of my rods just behind the middle seat right beside me.

I put indoor/out door carpet on the back seat as well, just for asthetics because it was like a pin cushion with a lot of previously drilled holes in it.

The boat in action:

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 09:56:35 AM »

Thanks for the tips.  Are the anchor pullers removable after mounting?  I would be concerned about them getting damaged in the bed of my truck.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 12:58:03 PM »

Thanks for the tips.  Are the anchor pullers removable after mounting?  I would be concerned about them getting damaged in the bed of my truck.

Yes, they just pop out.  Like Fishdreamer said, there are two types of mount, the regular all purpose mount (for anchor, pullers, rod holders, fish finders, etc.) and a flush mount.  The first is much easier to install. To install the flush mount you need to drill a large enough hole to get a jig saw blade through to cut a 1" hole.    Both work equally well but the flush mount looks better in my opinion and it copuld never get knocked off which is highly unlikely in the first place.

Have fun with your customizing job!  Cheers~