Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Global News - Upper Pitt River Garbage Dump Issue  (Read 3142 times)

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
Global News - Upper Pitt River Garbage Dump Issue
« on: September 26, 2005, 09:24:08 PM »

Anyone else see the 6:00 news tonight on global?  I think they did a good job of addressing the issue at stake that the river is eating away at the bank and exposing more garbage to this sensitive river.  Beautiful stream by the way, and nice to see all those sockeye paired up and doing their thing.  Hopefully something was noted to the government of this problem, especially so close to BC and World Rivers day.  They even said this site wouldn't take too long to clean up, maybe 3 weeks or so, so why wait before its too late and another high water period passes!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Global News - Upper Pitt River Garbage Dump Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 09:32:28 PM »

Saw that on the news tonight. According to the Minister of the Environment, they are in touch with a contracting firm to do the cleanup. Let's  hope so because the Pitt sure is a beautiful river.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 09:42:11 PM »

i know sooo many ppl who would be willing to volunteer to clean that river up. but the government wants ot pay for it????

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 09:50:56 PM »

This has been going on forever. They have put this off for way too long. Its just a sickening site to see. I feel sorry for the owner of the lodge up there as he is losing a ton of business.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 10:07:59 PM »

he is losing some but i wouldnt say a tonne. Dan is a good guy. when we were up there a few weeks ago he drove us up to 12km and we were talking aobu the garbage. he said they were gonna pay a guide with a jet to clean it up. I would be willing to go up there and help. and i have a few othher friends who would be willing to come for the volunteer hours.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 11:18:12 PM »

he is losing some but i wouldnt say a tonne. Dan is a good guy. when we were up there a few weeks ago he drove us up to 12km and we were talking aobu the garbage. he said they were gonna pay a guide with a jet to clean it up. I would be willing to go up there and help. and i have a few othher friends who would be willing to come for the volunteer hours.
That day was awesome, nicest river I've ever fished. I would cleanup that mess anyday and Dan knows we would, Dion.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 11:21:12 PM »

Where's the garbage originating from ?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 09:35:16 AM »

Where's the garbage originating from ?
I understand from media reports from a few months ago it was from a logging camp that was situated close to the river and the river has eroded into the garbage dump over the years.