Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skeena watershed information.  (Read 1377 times)

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
Skeena watershed information.
« on: July 23, 2023, 09:22:06 PM »

Hi all, I'm heading up to the terrace area from the aug 4th to around the 10th I've been trying to do some research on where are some nice mid range rivers thinking like Coquitlam river size with ok access for walk and fishing. I've also been reading the regs and boy howdy I can't wrap my head around all the different sections of the skeena and tribs. I'm not really looking for a wild time, fish after fish just some nice light fun with a chance to do the grand slam on my own. Any help would be appreciated very much but I'm sure I'll have fun regardless. Thank you all in advance for your inputs!

roeman

Re: Skeena watershed information.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 08:30:54 AM »

Copper River coming into Terrace walk or drive down just before you go over the Hwy bridge. Good fly water in the Copper or go out to the Skeena. Coming out of Terrace there is a pullout before you go over the Copper where you can walk down to the Skeena, use to be a good gravel bar there but changes every year with water conditions.   Kitimat river walk into Hirsch Creek Trail or take Ollichan road off the hwy and go down to where drift boats are launched, google and you should be able to figure out the roads to turn on, should be able to cross the back channel and lots of water to hike.  Been a few years since I lived up there but if you hit the timing right on the Kitimat river the coho and pink fishing jigs and spoons and fly  is fantastic. Pinks are chrome and fight very well.  Not like the tribs off the Fraser.
Are you fishin or catchin

roeman

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 08:33:17 AM »

Post some pics of your trip , I miss living and fishing up there.
Are you fishin or catchin

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 08:10:16 PM »

Thanks roeman, I'll be sure to check those out. The copper was on my radar already forsure! And I'll post some pictures for sure!

redside1

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 09:50:11 AM »

Current Skeena steelhead return is the second worst in the 68 years of data collection.
The only year that was worse than this year at this point was 1979.
Decisions on the fishery will be made August 15 and at this point expect to see fishing closures happen.

Google up Tyee Test fishery to see the returns so far this year and it's easy to compare back to 2011.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 09:47:42 PM »

Thanks for the info reside! I've tried looking at the numbers before but it's different from the albion test net, there is some equation needed? Also I'll be out of there before the 15th so hopefully I can get a bit of fishing done. Also I don't need to fish the skeena mainstream. I'd be more then happy to explore smaller tribs that would remain open.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 06:53:49 PM »

After a day or two of rest from all the driving I've come back to update. The trip was fun but not as successful as I wanted it to be (all 5 species) I caught a couple coho, 1 sockeye and more pinks then I could possibly count also hooked into but didn't land a big chrome something. Possibly a steel or large coho. The skeena mainstream got clouded up from the copper river on my last day there so I headed to the kitimat and again hooked and landed more pinks then I could shake a stick at. All in all I probably wouldn't do it alone again or drive up there again, would consider flying up though. But Thank you all for the information, and just wanted to post back saying I had a good time and appreciate everything.