Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simms G3&G4 fishing jackets  (Read 13701 times)

Juwtee

Simms G3&G4 fishing jackets
« on: February 10, 2011, 05:58:47 PM »

Hey does anyone own a G3 or G4 jacket, if so how do you like it cuz I'm thinking of buying one
Work hard, play hard, fish harder!

hawg hunter

Re: Simms G3&G4 fishing jackets
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 07:16:04 PM »

I have the G4 jacket and it is awesome. Was out at the vedder a couple of weeks ago and I should have been shooting a Simms commercial. The rain never stopped all day! It went from raining to pouring to raining!! Jacket held up great! Not only is it Water tight but the breathability is also awesome.
I know some out there will think the price tag is way too high, however, i do believe you do get what you pay for. I too was considering the G3 as well and I know of some who swear by it but I felt I was into a jacket for a significant amount of money already so thought might as well go for it!

Either one you will not be disapointed!
Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish.  ~Roderick Haig-Brown

Kenwee

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 07:27:10 PM »

I have one too and I can say you can't go wrong with it. It is pricey but " you get what you pay for". I say go for it.

Randofish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 08:20:18 PM »

Got the new G4 for Xmas and it is awsome.
Wear good warm gear underneath as it is not a warm jacket by itself in cold temps.
Rain is not a factor so far.Time will tell as it has been worn maybe a dozen times so far.
Like it so far.
Rando
The Fishin Musician

iCemAn

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 08:43:11 PM »

I have the G4 jacket and it is awesome. Was out at the vedder a couple of weeks ago and I should have been shooting a Simms commercial. The rain never stopped all day! It went from raining to pouring to raining!! Jacket held up great! Not only is it Water tight but the breathability is also awesome.
I know some out there will think the price tag is way too high, however, i do believe you do get what you pay for. I too was considering the G3 as well and I know of some who swear by it but I felt I was into a jacket for a significant amount of money already so thought might as well go for it!

Either one you will not be disapointed!

Now I know you are telling a fish story hawg because you and my old man don't like to get your "rain gear" wet! ;) Hopefully soon I will be able to start joining you every once and a while on a monday!
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

Verdi

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 09:55:19 PM »

The thing i like is the sleeves have a cinch strap around the wrist, and if you are like me and drop stuff in the river or even landing a fish, you pull the strap tight and you can stick your whole arm in the water without getting your shirt sleeves wet.
Also the material around the wrist does not wick water like the old neopreen, that use to get your sleeves wet too..

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 10:58:14 AM »

I also wear a G4 jacket and it cant be beat. remember though that its only a shell so make sure to layer underneath because it breaths great which means you wont have all your body heat trapped inside your jacket like regular rain gear (causing you to sweat and become moist/cold anyways) dont get me wrong it keeps me plenty warm but sometimes i do notice i get a chill if im not wearing the proper sweater underneath.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

brownmancheng

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 07:03:58 PM »

simply awesome... must have

Juwtee

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 09:49:56 PM »

Thanx everyone! I have the G4 on order and I'm sure I'll love it.
Work hard, play hard, fish harder!

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 08:10:55 PM »

I use SIMMS waders and boots, but for jacket, I go for the Arcteryx jackets, proudly made here in BC.
Truly world class outfits we can depend on in all kinds of weather. :)

lapa

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 11:47:57 PM »

I use SIMMS waders and boots, but for jacket, I go for the Arcteryx jackets, proudly made here in BC.
Truly world class outfits we can depend on in all kinds of weather. :)

what model did you buy?

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 10:04:24 AM »

what model did you buy?

Mine is Stingray, which I have been using for three seasons now with great pleasure. :) :) :)
It's Goretex outside with light insulation inside.
My wife bought one first and liked it so much that she bought one for me too.

However, because this was not made for fishing purpose, it does not have large pockets as in other fishing jackets.
But, I don't mind as I carry all my stuff in my Simms fishing vest.

Kenwee

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 11:49:36 AM »

The G4 is really nice and right for fishing. It has 2 lanyards which can be slide back into their sheaths, I use one for my scissors and one for my hemostat. It also has 2 pockets with zips for warming your hands.It may be a good idea if you check it out before you buy, cost is only $429.95

It has also 2 large chest pockets useful for keeping cell phone, wallet and car key  ( this is what I use them for).

It is a rain jacket and it will not keep you too warm, so on a cold day you have to layer yourself accordingly. It has worked well for me both on cold and rainy days as well.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 12:51:23 PM »

your missing some pockets on the G4  :D

mine has: hand warmer pockets, 2 large front pockets each of them having 2 smaller zipper pockets on the front (total of 6 front pockets), large pocket in back of jacket, and if i remember right there is 1 or 2 inside pockets also  ;D

Simms website retails these at $479.99 which is better than mine which was $599.95 !! I do NOT like the new colouring though(mine is dark grey/orange), what were they thinking using a yellowish colour  ???

G3 jackets is basically the same but has 2 less small pockets upfront is the only difference i see

Love my G4 because there is no need for a fishing vest when im fly fishing even though i do wear a waist pack because i dont really like having my pockets jammed full and bulky infront of me.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Kenwee

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 03:40:06 PM »

Hi Hook, thanks for the info on the 2 pockets inside which I have not noticed. I don't use the pockets as much as I carry a Simms dry creek hip pack which I can fit all the suff I need for the day. G4 simply the best!!!