Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Morris Lake August 16th  (Read 2304 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
Morris Lake August 16th
« on: August 17, 2008, 08:28:07 AM »

In a word- squawfish. Not a trout to be seen, but the squawfish are as thick as thieves. Didn't matter what pattern I put on, they loved it.The access was brutal, as were the skeeters. At least 5 boats with 20 to 60 horse motors scooting around the electric motor only lake, having come up the creek from the Harrison.
This used to be one of my favourite pieces of water in the lower mainland. Bellyboated there in January. My oldest son had a van load of his chums for a birthday fishing derby when he was a young lad. We spent more than a few weekends there , not always catching fish, but really enjoying everything from watching the scvhools of salmon fry to the big resident eagle who would swoop down and grab a whacked squawfish gratefully. You could camp at the area were Weaver Creek flowed into the lake, but drunken yahoos fixed that so the access through the Evans farm was closed and I completely understand why. I went down there one day just before they closed it off and spent 2 hours cleaning up garbage, looked at the creekbed that some wasted dough heads thought was a challenge for their 4 wheel drives, saw an area were some other air for brains rocket scientist had evidently opened up his RV holding tank and let 'er rip.

I wish the motor boat crowd wouldn't push their way in, but as access is either down through some steep and rough terrain or come up the creek and it appears a lot of the people don't give a fat rat's patoot about the electric only designation. What a shame as this WAS a small jewel that didn't stand out, was never crowded and one of the most peaceful places to wet a line I have ever found. Too bad it's been abused. :(
http://

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
Re: Morris Lake August 16th
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 08:57:01 AM »

I'm with you on this one, Went in there a few weeks back to see one fellow with his 20ft 115hp boat. As I thought that was bad enough another fellow came ripping in in his big jet boat. Did some doughnuts chucked a few beer cans in the water and left. I got a chance to inform the other fellow of the regs after which he left. Still sucks to see.

tnt

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 05:59:33 PM »

I dont think the sign is up at the mouth anymore....Maybe I am wrong...
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 07:19:53 PM »

WTF, can you read, is it still in the regs as electric only? 

The sign isnt up any more, pretty piss poor excuse. 

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 08:36:12 AM »

I tried to explain it to one group of beer hazy yahoos and was promptly told to go perform an impossible act. DFO or whoever is in charge really needs to step up enforcement. Next time I go I'm taking a video camera and record some of the stupidity that happens there. The garbage around the area is disgusting. I've seen everything from used personal sanitary products to a discarded tent tossed by visitors.

Old Morris Lake tale- I went down there one day and found three bags of household rubbish laying around. The culprits were not overly bright as some of the loose garbage had a Coquitlam address on it. I cleaned it up along with some other garbage that some "conservationists" had left laying around. I can't imagine the surprise that they had finding the lost trash had "walked" back from the lake and had gained weight in the process. ;D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 09:16:59 AM »

MORRIS LAKE 2-19 Wild trout/char release; hatchery trout/char daily quota = 2 (none under 30 cm); electric motors only

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 10:54:46 AM »

I think T-N-T was just saying it as a reason why some of the other boaters might not be aware of the regs. Still not an excuse, I have also had to re-direct folks that have found their way up the Hope river. Same excuse was given there.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 11:10:27 AM »

You see not everyone with boat also fish.  As the reg you are refering to is called "Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis".  They are not required to read the fishing reg.  So instead on calling names, may be attention should be called upon to have a publication put out for boaters.

tnt

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 11:49:54 AM »

Wow GLX why dont you call me at 604-857-5387 if you want to bash me , all I am saying is a lot of boaters who do not fish dont go carrying fishing regs around with them....on the last long weekend there was about 50 boats near the mouth of morris...maybe one or 2 did not have regs....but then WTF am I thinking.....
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 10:06:27 PM »

Not trying to bash you, but your first comments could be taken as someone who is using that theres no sign as a legitimate excuse. 

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 06:54:18 AM »

While I certainly don't like it when gas motors are in an electric only lake, I'm almost more concerned with the huge squawfish population.  Anyone thought of having a couple squaw derbys there? 

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »

Let me know when it is, we just started getting one together at another lake in that area. Last year was the first time, but it went ok.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 06:11:19 AM »

While I certainly don't like it when gas motors are in an electric only lake, I'm almost more concerned with the huge squawfish population.  Anyone thought of having a couple squaw derbys there? 

GREAT idea! Are there any limits on these annoying little monsters? I just think the whole system is so full of them that all the fry would have a much better chance if there wasn't so many.