Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: setting up for short float fishing - part deux  (Read 5836 times)

ja

setting up for short float fishing - part deux
« on: September 24, 2007, 08:45:08 PM »

I'm setting up my lines weights etc. for short floating.  I was hoping someone could share a bit of their wisdom on the following:  Am I in the normal range in using size 7 brass barrel swivels, size 1 hooks (barbless), amber, peach, lime, and orange wool, 12lb test maxima ultragreen leader, and 1x4 1/2" styrofoam float.  I understand that everyone may have their preferences for an item or two, but will my setup work or are any items just not appropriate at all.   The wool I tied to my hooks are about 1" wide by 3/4" long.  (Wish I knew how to post a pic, I'd show the hooks.)  Am I using too little or too much wool?  Will my success rate increase if I add roe or gooeyballs (or whatever they're called)?  Finally, where should the swivel be -- above the float, inbetween the float and weight or below the weight.

I know it's a number of questions but any help would be appreciated.  Cheers all.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 08:49:16 PM by ja »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: setting up for short float fishing - part deux
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 09:17:18 PM »

I prefer a size 10 or 12 swivel. It can be above or below your weight depending on your setup but definitely not above your float.

gman

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 09:24:12 PM »

Your setup sound about right. If its super clear water and a sunny day you can reduce hook size, line weight and wool size. Murky water targeting big springs gear up.

Wool works ok, roe is better. For a first time out wool is simpler.

Main line goes through float to a swivel. Weight is usually near swivel. Then tie on approx 24" leader.

Good luck.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 09:32:41 PM »

Wool works ok, roe is better.

Hey, who told you that? ;D

I still remember that day (late September/early October 2004). That was some fine coho fishing. ;)

Ja, the setup sounds good. Float and weight sizes vary, depending on the depth and speed of the waters where you are fishing. Typically I like to fish very slow, shallow water, so I use second smallest Drennan Piker/Zeppler float. I use 8lb test for leader instead of 12lb test. My main is 12lb test. My hook size is between #2 and 2/0, depending on the size of roe I want to use. I rarely use wool.

Everyone has his or her own effective setup. It's best to take a look at what others are using, modify them to suit the way you fish. Good luck! :)

ja

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 09:46:18 PM »

Hey guys, I really appreciate your feedback.   :) I'll be going over these posts again tomorrow to make sure I've got all the details.  I hope to get out either this Sunday or Monday and if so, I'll report back.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 12:10:27 AM »

The best way to catch fish if you are and I am sure you are, wanting to make a fish actually bite is to use a little wool as I do but use good roe as well, its that simple. Make sure your float is riding straight up, not on its side or you are using the method that Ghost Fish is describing and you will just be sweeping your fish.

With the pinks now spawning using pink bait is a good choice.

With lots of chinook jacks in the system now you can not miss using this method. ;D ;D ;D

gman

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 08:36:56 AM »

Wool works ok, roe is better.

Hey, who told you that? ;D

I still remember that day (late September/early October 2004). That was some fine coho fishing. ;)

Yes that was a good day. And the good advice I got then also lead to a lot of other good days on the river.  :)
With a little luck Friday will be my first day out this year.  ;D

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 08:48:03 AM »

Hey Rod - or anyone....

A  buddy made up some roe (pink eggs) and he used the 1 cup of borax + 1 cup salt + 1 cup sugar mixed with 3 cups of water formula. He cut the pieces up in chunks and let it soak for about 2hrs he said - and then air dried overnite.

I looked at the roe on the river and they look ok (I'm not a roe guy) but they seem almost rubbery  - they held together good on the hook (almost too good) but when you squeezed an egg the membrane sort of peeled off in your hand (like a grape) and the egg itself was semi-hard thick viscousy if you know what I mean. 

It was definitely not the soft milky almost raw roe I see some guys used.

Anyways he did not catch much on sunday and I did better on the fly.

Was it just bad luck - or was this sort of "rubbery" roe the problem? The colour was a lovely bright natural orange...

allwaysfishin

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 10:20:04 AM »

stick with plain ol borax..... i add a pinch of demererra brown sugar to darken up light coloured roe.... various kool aid or jello powders for other colours... if i'm feeling adventurous. Pink roe takes a lot of draining prior to a good cure as well. I lay it out in skeins on plastic window screen and let it air dry for 6 to 8 hours prior to any curing agent. My roe formulas NEVER include the addition of water.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 10:36:20 AM »

Hmmm...I use a brine method for my roe that ALWAYS uses water.   ;D
President Club S. C. & P.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 10:54:40 AM »

My roe formulas NEVER include the addition of water.

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/resourcecenter/eggs.htm

I looked at the roe on the river and they look ok (I'm not a roe guy) but they seem almost rubbery  - they held together good on the hook (almost too good) but when you squeezed an egg the membrane sort of peeled off in your hand (like a grape) and the egg itself was semi-hard thick viscousy if you know what I mean.

It was definitely not the soft milky almost raw roe I see some guys used.

Anyways he did not catch much on sunday and I did better on the fly.

Was it just bad luck - or was this sort of "rubbery" roe the problem? The colour was a lovely bright natural orange...