Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pinks By The Millions In The Fraser River  (Read 5765 times)

charles

Re: Pinks By The Millions In The Fraser River
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 08:37:58 AM »

pink year = odd year here.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 03:49:59 PM »

The next pink year is 2009.

I am not sure of the exact way they come up with numbers but they use some sort of traps, I believe around the Mission area. They then use some scientfic formula to come up with the numbers they give out.

Someone else on the forum may be able to describe this more as I am just sharing information I have been given.

Chris is right, if they count pinks the same way that the Vedder hatchery counts smolts going back then they use a trap that goes from one side of the river (normally a stream) to the other. It is set up so that all the water funnels into a cage at the end and they count the smolts in the trap twice a day, any smolts coming down that stream will get trapped in the trap because it is the only way down.... they normally use sand bags etc to block anything from getting around the trap....  Now in the Fraser I'm not sure how they would do this since it is incredibly wide and has lots of debris, I'm thinking they would have traps along the sides because I couldn't see the smolts swimming up the middle of the river and not as much debris would be along the sides to take the traps downriver. They might possibly use traps at the mouths of creeks/smaller rivers entering into the Fraser. Maybe someone that does some work on the Fraser could tell us how it goes as that is the only stuff I know from working at the hatchery (Vedder River) a few days  ;)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 04:58:18 PM »

is 2008 a pink year? thx

No 09, every two

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 05:32:10 PM »

I don't know if this is the current method their useing but they used to use Incline plane traps at Mission. Basically they are attached to a boat or barge and they sample a section of the water column ( 4 x 4 section) and count the fish caught in the trap for the time period fished. They also fish different areas of the river so they get a representative sample of what area the fish are preferring to travel in. You then mark a percentage of the fish ( dye them so they are identifieable) and move them back up river and release them. You then see how many you catch a second time so you have some sort of idea of what percentage of fish your capturing. Punch these numbers into a equation and then you get your number. Not perfect but probably the best you can do on such a large river.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 09:45:49 PM »

There is a pink run every year
just that odd years are the big ones
I am i not right

Camman

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 11:20:26 PM »

There is a pink run every year
just that odd years are the big ones
I am i not right
You are right, there is pinks every years just barley any.