Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re: Stamp Steelhead trip Dec27/28.  (Read 11557 times)

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Stamp Steelhead trip Dec27/28.
« on: December 29, 2009, 05:16:35 PM »

nice fish... i cant believe how downhill that river has gone though.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 07:02:26 PM »

Really? Downhill? Do you mean by numbers of fish or the flossers at the falls pool?  Otherwise on a boat I thought it was pretty good. I've heard stories of the old days though. Glad people like the video's, I just got that camera for christmas. I have 3-4 more I'll post tonight when I have more time.

Thanks Rod for posting the link.
Fish on!

rides bike to work

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 07:19:30 PM »

the river has gone down hill back in the day they would stack up like salmon and the growing pressure took a toll on the numbers luckily they enforce measures like bait ban that have help bring the numbers back still probably one of the most productive river in south western bc.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 08:10:16 PM »

Really? Downhill? Do you mean by numbers of fish or the flossers at the falls pool? 

I've never seen flossers at falls pool.  BB off that cliff is not flossing.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 09:14:42 PM »

I've never seen flossers at falls pool.  BB off that cliff is not flossing.

You've never seen flossers there!! I don't think you've been paying attention!. Every single guy at the pool fishing opposite the Cliff had 8 ft of line between their float and leader fishing 4ft of water. The float can't even float, it lays on its side because these guys just drag their weights and hooks across the bottom. they keep tension on the line and pull across the fast water in the tailout to snag a fish in the mouth. Thats flossing plain and simple. it sucks.  
I know what you're saying about bbing the deep pool, its not what these guys do.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 10:36:12 PM by bug pumper »
Fish on!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 11:02:46 PM »

Bugpumper don't assume it is flossing.
I know lots of guys already on the island, and lots of people out on the island seem to BOTTOM BOUNCE (probably because the rivers are so deep).
Normally not done with a float, but they will just fish a weight with a 3 foot leader and the fish do bite.
The Fraser river sockeye fishery has given legitimate fishing stratigies a bad name. Go down to the states and most likely everyone you will see is bottom bouncing.
I would have no problem with it as long as they are not running 4+ foot long leaders. Besides it stirs up the staging fish and gives you more of a chance short floating  ;)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 11:16:03 PM »

Don't be ridiculous, you do not know what you're talking about everyday.There is no question they are flossing, don't assume you can lecture me about that. I have more than enough experience to know the difference. Don't defend that technique, there's no excuse for it period.
Fish on!

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 11:19:12 PM »

Also everyday, it doesn't stir up the fish. it freaks them out, and they won't bite legitimately.
Fish on!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 11:33:16 PM »

Bugpumper don't assume it is flossing.
I know lots of guys already on the island, and lots of people out on the island seem to BOTTOM BOUNCE (probably because the rivers are so deep).
Normally not done with a float, but they will just fish a weight with a 3 foot leader and the fish do bite.
The Fraser river sockeye fishery has given legitimate fishing stratigies a bad name. Go down to the states and most likely everyone you will see is bottom bouncing.
I would have no problem with it as long as they are not running 4+ foot long leaders. Besides it stirs up the staging fish and gives you more of a chance short floating  ;)

Daniel I dont think you read his last post. Float, 8 foot leader, dragging it through the pool. Snagging is what that is called. True bottom bouncers dont use a set up like that.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

• Hmmm yes, quite. Where are the fish again?
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 12:34:36 AM »

Every methods got a reason, bb is used for deeper, faster waters. Sure it has a bad name, you can floss with it but sometimes it is needed and they do bite. It's got its ups and downs. BB is either they take it, floss it or spook it. It really ups the % chance to hook the fish, just people don't like that method due to you know what reasons. I do agree with everyday on the fraser sockeye bb reason, does give it a bad name. I don't normally use that method but sometimes its got its useful side, getting deep down and out, its either hit or miss. No fisherman are the same, everyones got their styles in fishing and they polish it. You shouldn't fame them but rather say, hope he catches something, goes with any other fisherman. Encourage them then being all "I don't like the way the guy fishes, I dislike him and wish he doesn't catch anything" If the guy is throwing line with no bait but only a hook, there is a problem but if its BB or long leader with bair whatever, it is still fishing and there will always be a chance of the fish coming up and taking it. Long time ago fishing consisted of spears and nets on the river, that is still fishing. If an old first nations man came to the vedder and started spearing for fish, would u say thats not fishing just because he doesn't have a fishing rod in their hands? no, it is still fishing. People are too controlling, blurting out what they think and hoping the victim would do what they think is right. There are no right or wrongs, thats excluding snagging, netting, poaching and 100% flossing without bait or wool, etc. No one has the right to judge others, but rather educate them in the nicest possible way. Don't force the educational tip, just recommend.
Nothing to see here, Hmm yes.......
Quite........
Carry on......

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 01:05:47 AM »

Oh dear... Good ol' winter in Vancouver. ;D They're flossing, they're not flossing, their rod is too light, they're not holding the fish properly, they shouldn't use bait... ;D

After so many years of similar discussions, I'm not sure why some people are still expending the time and energy to go through this on every discussion forum in the winter months. Want to make a difference? Join a local association, attend Sportfishing Advisory Committee meetings where changes are started.

Stick to the fishing reports in the fishing reports board since only a handful of people can access it, leave these discussions in the fishery issues board so everyone can see it.

And, go fishing. ;)

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 02:18:04 AM »

Sorry Rodney, we're having too much fun and getting carried away :D
Quite........
Carry on......

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 01:08:20 PM »

Funny. Almost.

I occasionally frequent the Falls, and have already done so numerous times this year. Several of the area's better rods often accompany me, and are quite often there when I am not. It is ludicrous to suggest we are flossing. Dunno what type of binoculars you're using, but would suggest perhaps cleaning them once a season.  ???

A few of The Ladz do bottom bounce from up high. 3 foot or less leaders. On the water line we use standard float rigs, with the same 3 foot leaders. In the great many years I have fished there, I have yet to see a single fish flossed as described. Yes, we catch a lot of fish compared to some. Comes with serious experience, and knowing exactly how to fish that water. Of course I do understand the jealousy thing - those guys catch a lot more than me or my buddies, therefor they MUST be cheating somehow. NOT!  ::)

That said, this past few days we have seen a fairly serious and aggressive influx of anglers here. A great many of them proudly informed us they are The Vedder Wrecking Crew. And several of these boys attempted to run floss gear on the park side - two days in a row. They were quietly informed to knock it off, leave or swim. They listened the first day, and a couple the second, while the balance left.

The vast majority of local anglers are ethical, and have little tolerance for those who are not. If you are amongst the latter, please stay home. The rest are of course welcome, even when it means us local types stay home a day or two (as I am again today) simply to leave the water to the visitors (and of course avoid the Vedder style crowding).

It is also appreciated that you do not throw stones at us about what you know not. Thanx.  ;)

Nog

Nog

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 02:24:25 PM »

Holy crap !! It seems everyone with the exception of bbronswyk2000 can't read!!  Where are some of you reading about BBing in my post!  Read slowly again. The flossers were NOT bottom bounceing, do you understand that? Not bottom bounceing. Iron noggin your condesending comments are way out of line, like you have some experience that I don't.-doubtfull. If you don't realize that a guy with 8ft of line under his float, and then 3 ft of leader, fishing 4ft of water, dragging it across the tailout...is flossing, then you need to learn how to fish. NO joke. I'm not jealous of a guy hooking a fish in the pec fin and keeping it, just pissed.
I know Rod is sick of this topic, but some people seem to be in denial.
Fish on!

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 02:31:24 PM »

ohhh, hahahaha  :D
under a float at a tail out, sounds very suspicious indeed  ::)
Quite........
Carry on......