Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: White or red springs  (Read 5981 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: White or red springs
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 12:20:25 PM »

Further more there's no way on earth anyone can say that a stinky Vedder white tastes as good as a red spring. 

I say white springs taste better then red springs. And so do the people who eat white springs I prepare for dinners.

But it's like everything in life, until you get experience you know nothing.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 12:24:57 PM »

The intent of this post is just to find out if you can tell the diff without cutting it open.  It was not for the purposes of chosing wether or not to keep it.  I was asking because there are a number of people out there that make many unbelievable claims (like being to tell the difference between a resident trout and a steelhead without genetic testing), and thought this might be another one of those claims.  But, apparently it's not. 

SnaggedADuck

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 12:39:17 PM »

My friend claims to be able to tell the difference by looking at the meat by the anal.......he is into that kind of stuff

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 12:41:56 PM »

I say white springs taste better then red springs. And so do the people who eat white springs I prepare for dinners.

But it's like everything in life, until you get experience you know nothing.

Well that's definately personal preference, I think the Vedder whites are disgusting.  For the guy who has driven 2 hrs. to get to the vedder at a time when both reds and whites are there and he wants a red, whats the harm in looking to see if he has one ? Better than slicing them open somewhere to check, and that does happen.  Show the guys who want to know, how to do it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:02:09 PM by iblly »

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 12:44:17 PM »

iblly, I know you're making a good point, but to put it in print is just giving all the "anti-anglers" more ammunition against us. We should really try to curb putting up comments like these. No offense intended by the way.

Good point, no offense taken.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 01:00:51 PM »

Iblly I think you need to relax a bit there bud, I'm just saying if you want to retain a spring get the fish in and bonk it. To check under the gill plate you would have to get the fish up on the shore or close to do you not? Reaching under the gills can be very damaging if a large fish which springs usually are starts wiggling around on shore with your mitts near the gill rakers. Damage can easily be done. For me if I do not want to keep the fish all the things you said in your post happen for sure (laser sharp hook, gob of roe, photo op etc etc) but the difference is I am NOT bringing the fish on shore it stays in the water, is revived and sent on it's way. You cannot tell me checking under the gill plate does not add risk to the fish, especially with a fish that is as large as the white nookies can be. I am not saying this can't be done properly but to say that it isn't pretty risky to the fishes health is wrong, especially for people who haven't handled many large fish before.

It is just added risk is all I am saying. :)
  You are forcing the fish towards the shore, a direction I'm sure it does probably not want to go after it's been hooked. This I think stresses the fish,  something that you guys were concerned about.  Some added risk by looking under the gill plate, yes. But minimal.  You have already put it's health at risk by hooking it. Where are you gonna draw line on it's health and safety. Be realistic, that's a little overboard on the ethics. Sorry for coming across like a d- - -head, but as I said before if your that concerned than leave the fishies alone. Cheers

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 02:00:46 PM »

Buddy last year this time caught 3 twenty plus reds, I released a high teens red two weeks ago and 30% of my jacks have been reds or marbled. So there are a few in there, and I for the most part (with the exception of the large red) I just decide on keeping the fish if it is in mint shape or not, the red or marbled part is just a bonus that you find out when you are gutting it.

Thanks for pointing that out "buddy" but I had already changed my post to represent the few that are in there before you had a chance to correct me.  I added the word "practically" because I didn't want to mislead people and I was quite certain someone would try to jump on that. 

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 08:54:46 PM »

I've been looking forr someone who speaks their language but no dice till this point. 8)
always a student