Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-tidal Fraser River, August 12th 2009  (Read 1349 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Non-tidal Fraser River, August 12th 2009
« on: August 13, 2009, 08:03:15 PM »

Welcome to The Journal on Fishing With Rod your top fishing web site in the North West for fishing information, tall tails, instructional video's, fishing tips, discussion of environmental issues and much more.
Checking the river on Tuesday afternoon I saw an improvement in water clarity so decided once again return to the Fraser River for a day bar fishing trip on Wednesday. Water clarity has been a problem for the bar angler this season and of course with reduced visibility your success rate decreases.
The Leaf Craft had to be emptied before the trip could begin as it was being used as a temporary storage for bottles and camping supplies.
With that chore complete the first stop was Tims where the paper was read and coffee enjoyed.

I arrive at Island 22 just before 8 and the boat launch is busy as the guide boats and their clients are arriving. They usually assemble around 8. Frank is also there getting his volunteers organized for the sockeye study down at Grassy. I also sell 2 FVSS memberships and talk to some other anglers that I know. Finally 45 minutes later the Leaf Craft is launched, she was annoyed because of too much talk, she is anxious once again to get fishing. Even though unhappy she jumps to life quickly and she turns her nose upstream, towards Maple Leaf Bar.

As I near the bar I see 3 anglers on the beach and a couple of boats anchored, plenty of room for a single rod so I slip in below the last shore rod and well above the anchored boat. I am told no action yet so I have not missed much.

The bar weight is attached and with a #0 silver with mylar winds and a red top. The good Doctor is launched by the Fraser King rod into the still murky waters of the mighty Fraser. Visibility is better than the last trip, maybe 15 inches. I know the Chinooks are going by but the question will be, will one take a likening to my glow.

I settle in to the lawn chair Mark gave me as the wait begins. I think I should have a good chance today as before leaving home I took out of the freezer the last two steaks from the 28 pounder I caught back on July 22.

Boat traffic seems heavy today as many others are getting back out on the river after 2 days of rain welcome to help take away the forest fire threat and cool the Fraser River water temperature which was 18 Celsius today.
The sun is shinning so I huddle under the umbrella that offerers some shade. The umbrella is in bad shape as it was one I had rescued from some blackberry bushes a few weeks ago, thrown away by some careless person.

Anglers come and go over the next few hours as I nap and eat. A boat below leaves its anchored position twice, chasing a fish each time which I am told are both landed. 

Pin Head and a friend slip in above me, they come down for a visit and PH said he got a 30 pounder the night before and saw another angler break off two. Hope now rises. Dennis from badminton and his grandson arrive and settle in below me. The 3 anglers that were there before me call it a day, its 2 O'Clock. I am in for the long haul as I am committed for the day. With the last bit of fish taken from the freezer it would be nice to resupply it. Nothing better in my mind for table fair than these Fraser River reds or for that mind early timing whites.

Pin Head and his partner come down for another visit and we talk how this bar fishing is a waiting game but is very enjoyable and the social aspect is not too shabby either.

As we talk I just happen to be looking at my rod and I see it start to dance, it then stands straight up, slack lined. I donot even hear the bell if it even did toll as 3 or 4 strides see me snatch the Fraser King from the rod holder in the Leaf Craft.

The fish battles hard and I think it is at least 20 pounds. It does a torpedo run a couple of times during the 10 minutes of the tussle. Finally it surrenders to my urging on the Fraser King and a silver beauty blunt nosed chinook is safely on the shore. I notice a couple of sea lice near the tail, a sign it has moved quickly from the salty brine of the ocean to fresh water.

As we gather around an admire the silver chrome of this fish we guess to be in the 15 pound range.
I am pleased as I mark my 3rd Fraser River chinook on my license and I notice it was 3 weeks since my last one.

A couple of souvenir pictures in front of the Leaf Craft and I am on my way home, I arrive home at the regular supper hour, for a change. As I enter the house I smell the aroma of the fish I took from the freezer before I left. Maybe this was the thing that did the trick today and I should do it more often.

Once again it was a privilege to spend a day on the Fraser and I was thankful she provided me a fresh run salmon, something I never take for granted as that opportunity could be lost at any time, especially if we all donot do everything we can to make sure our precious salmon return year after year.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 08:08:24 PM by chris gadsden »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Non-tidal Fraser River, August 12th 2009
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 01:07:48 PM »

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 01:35:31 PM »

nice fish Chris and well said!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 11:04:48 PM »

Another great read Chris.
Nice fish too.
Thanks again.

Sabre

• Bite Me
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 08:54:43 AM »

Great report Chris & nice fish thanks for sharing :)

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 11:04:50 AM »

Great report Chris!! as boring as barfishing seems to be you make it sound pretty good ;D nice fish!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 07:24:14 PM »

Great report Chris!! as boring as barfishing seems to be you make it sound pretty good ;D nice fish!
Once you try it you will be hooked, fishing is supposed to be relaxing and bar fishing is just that. You eat, visit, sleep and if you like you can drink and be merry and then you sleep some more.. ;D ;D

We should get Rodney to organize a FWR bar outing for members, its his turn as I did it last time. ;D

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 01:57:16 AM »

Chris, Rod...i would love to get a chance to bar fish with you guys as I dont have the grear or a boat. it seems like a boat would be an asset for bar fishing.. I am more then happy to supply the entertainment, food and drink (entertainment being my lack of fishing skill).  ;)