Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: White and Red in one outing on the Fraser, August 23rd & 24th 2008  (Read 3688 times)

hue-nut

• Old Timer

My little bro and I hit the Fraser on Saturday and Sunday. I will preface this by saying that we had never caught a Chinook and our hopes were high. Saturday we fished 4 hours and hooked into two very large springs which both managed to strip me of my line and eventually break off. I was so ticked that I did not play them better but totally pumped to head back the next day. Sunday we fished from 8 to 12 and hooked 5 Chinooks, 2 of which we landed. Mine took a really good run but felt like a  sockye, when I got it into shallow water I was disappointed to here a guy say "that's a Sockye" but upon closer inspection we realized it was a 4 to 5 pound Jack (spots on tail). My fish actually ended up being a Fall run white Chinook which we cooked up that night. My little brother was the lucky one of the day, he played and landed a huge 24 pound, 92cm, chrome chinook which is the largest fish that either of us have ever caught! We both left the river with perma grins and can't wait till we can get back out there.

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: White and Red in one outing on the Fraser, August 23rd & 24th 2008
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 12:23:10 AM »

Good to hear about your success HN, it sure gets the adrenaline going when their peeling the line out. A friend and myself were out for two trips over the past weekend and it was absolutely nutso out there. Springs being landed left and right. One old fellow had four on on Sat. and he did'nt get one to the beach, poor guy. The largest we saw weighed was 40 and a half pounds, lots of big boys right now. Lots of fun and loads of laughs being on a beach with everyone catching and smiling and enjoying the rays. Well thanks for the report and we'll see you out there. :D

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 08:42:20 AM »

Were you guys bar fishing?  Good to hear if you were!

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 04:05:11 PM »

Way to go guys, nice red spring for sure, and good on you to be able to identify ur white jack, good to hear that there are more younger guys fishing properly.

hey if there are fish in the fraz hopefully there'll be a few in the chedder with all this rain keeping the water up.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 04:07:22 PM by younggun »
Fish killer 101

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 08:13:31 PM »

thanks guys, we were bottom bouncing up near Hope at the Scale Bar. I have never tried bar fishing as we only have river rods and no boat. Much thanks to the guys at Reaction Fly and Tackle who were very helpful in giving us directions to the bar, we really wanted to find a place that we could access by foot. Although it is quite packed with people, if you get in a good group of guys who are all taking turns timing up casting it is fun. 

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 08:52:32 PM »

Way to go guys, nice red spring for sure, and good on you to be able to identify ur white jack, good to hear that there are more younger guys fishing properly.

hey if there are fish in the fraz hopefully there'll be a few in the chedder with all this rain keeping the water up.

Already in young gun  ;)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 09:42:13 PM »

This has turned out to be quite a good season for springs - 5 trips 5 springs for me, biggest about 35lb.

The Albion test fishery still shows strong numbers daily, the last 2 days with 50+ fish per day for the 2 net sets. 

I have heard from a fellow fisher that the spring fishery will be closed as of end of August. Is there any truth to that? How can they close the fishery with that kind of number in the test fishery?

On the other hand, sockeyes accidental catch is next to nothing in the bar I fished. That stock needs to be protected and why the heck DFO still opens that fishery to the natives? For one thing if the soc are in trouble in the future, we know which group has done the utmost damage to the stock.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 09:50:23 PM »

::)

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 10:18:10 PM »

Yep Steelhawk, so true. Most people with their head not stuck in the sand or so wrapped around their own personal ethics about fishing know who is taking the largest cut of the cake and it sure is'nt us sporties. Where I fished last weekend, and it was'nt the Scale Bar, the incidental catch of sockeye for a two day period was under 20 and that with an average of 16 fishermen. Fishing was indeed excellent and enjoyable with the usual personable type people we have at this place. As far as them (DFO) closing it the end of August, well no biggie. Other fisheries are soon to open and we can forget about the antics on the Fraser and all the politics that go with it. It sure has been fun once again with many a good memory and lots more good pics. Did'nt I say that last year and the year before. :D The more things change, the more they stay the same. Well Good Fishing All. :) 

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 11:25:45 PM »

Right to the point, Athezone. Regardless of what the fishing preference is among the sporties, our catch or incidental catch is really peanut compared to FN or the commercial (if they open). Why so much bickering among the sporties? Like the bar you fish, the one I fish also have whole bunch of nice folks who are friendly and generally quite helpful (such as helping each other tail fish, or release fish). I did not hear of or see any confrontation between fishermen. There are more bickerling in the Internet than the fishing ground, LOL. But I have to say the forum here is quite civil this season compared to the past. Much credit to the mods for doing a good job to stop any thread whenever it gets too heated.  :)

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 02:18:00 AM »

whats good is even though u guys were bbcing u guys knew what u were doing, meaning even if u hooked 20 socks they'd all go back into the water.

i guess i know where i'll be september 1st
Fish killer 101

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 11:28:21 AM »

whats good is even though u guys were bbcing u guys knew what u were doing, meaning even if u hooked 20 socks they'd all go back into the water.

i guess i know where i'll be september 1st

Hopefully back in greece ;D ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 03:11:40 PM »

dont worry i get back 31st, u working the first, if so i might have to say hello. need to pick up a liscence and a couple things
Fish killer 101

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 05:16:32 PM »

So much for flossing only during Sockeye season.
What a bloody shame this river has turned into.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 06:17:20 PM »

Shame? Sorry you think that way. Why waste more energy in such an archaic argument. Actually, there is nothing but good happening right now in the river - productive fishing for both camps of fishermen. Go out there to enjoy productive spring fishing. To each its own.  :)

The real shame is DFO shutting out the sporties from sockeyes way back, kind of tricked them into buying licenses (for those who only target sockeyes), then shut them out in a blink of an eye, claiming the stock is in danger, too low for those of us fishing with 1 rod & 1 barbless hook, while letting the natives kill them massively, just to supply the black market with their FSC quota (what a joke), and this happens day in & day out, while there are very few socs running the river. They are letting FN squeeze out every so called endangered sockeye in the river right now, that is the real shame in my book. Then there is the shame that a small group of people is entitled to take 1/2 a million fish while the much larger, tax paying group is given next to nothing. For this to happen in a free, just, fair and equal-right society of ours, is a total shame indeed.  :-[