Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New boat owner, looking for a good place to learn.  (Read 6388 times)

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
New boat owner, looking for a good place to learn.
« on: June 30, 2014, 11:19:19 AM »

Hey all... so my family and I just got ourselves a new boat, its a 2014 16.5 ft Legend Xcalibur with a 90hp Optimax and a bow mounted trolling motor. Since this is my first boat and have only ever been a passenger in other boats, I only have a slight knowledge of how to operate it. I do have my boat license so that's not an issue. My question is, where is a good place to learn how to operate a boat (ie, Launch it, load it, dock it, drive it)? I want to get some time in before I decide to take my family out on it tubing/fishing. Advice is greatly appreciated, so have at'er!
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
Re: New boat owner, looking for a good place to learn.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 11:32:56 AM »

Sorry, forgot to mention that I live in Tsawwassen so somewhere within a 1.5hr drive would be best. Thanks!
Peace. One. Jewelz.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 11:35:57 AM »

Very smart.

Practice backing up in an empty parking lot before heading to the launch. 

When you head out the first time, bring another person with you, who knows in advance that this is a 'working out the kinks' trip.  Always good to have an extra set of hands and eyes with you as you hitch up, launch, and start to familiarize yourself with the boat.  Trim, tilt, electronics, get used to the steering and handling and the throttle response.  Get used to using the reverse of the motor smoothly.  Good boat control is CRUCIAL for the safety and enjoyment of your boat.

Practice approaching and departing a dock a few times, ideally in differing wind conditions.  Learn how to tie up to a dock properly and using the bumpers at the correct height to protect your boat.

Be prepared to scuff up that painted aluminum a bit.  Don't sweat it.  Ask yourself if you are going to be okay with beaching the boat.

I would go somewhere mid-week if possible to get used to launching and queueing up.  Perhaps a lake with a nice launch to get you started and get used to it.  Don't drink.

There is no substitute for patience and practice.

HAVE FUN!

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:59:47 AM »

Thanks for the reply Damien.

I would only assume that backing up the boat would be the same as backing up a trailer. I have experience in that field as I have a 10x6 ft trailer that I use to haul stuff in. So im confident in that area (assuming its the same). But all the others that you speak of, I'm kinda foreign to.

So where would one suggest to learn this stuff?
Peace. One. Jewelz.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 12:24:28 PM »

Perhaps Alouette Lake, mid week.

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 04:56:24 PM »

Alouette eh... I been reading about it and most say that if the wind picks up it can be quite challenging. If it's okay for a beginner in these conditions then I will give it a try.  How is Cultas?
Peace. One. Jewelz.

Humpy

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 05:37:34 PM »

Alouette is fine, I was in it with a 12 ft inflatable boat and trolling motor, your boat will be just fine. I prefer Alouette over Cultus.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Mkulak

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 06:00:32 PM »

You should have no issues at Alouette Lake.   I take my 16ft inflatable to that lake all the time.

chromeo

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 06:02:20 PM »

I was gonna say alouette too but make sure you stay on the boat launch side of the lake.  Although with your boat it should handle the waves and wind no problem.  Do not go down to the bottle neck after say 11 in the morning as the wind will pick up.  Get your engine broken in with some nice easy trolling on the side of the lake where the pillars are at.  Enjoy the new boat!

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 07:41:45 PM »

Alouette is a good choice . I have a 14 foot with a thirty yamy and go to the top end a back in no time . Winds always seem to pick up in the afternoonish times at any lake . I go mostly to Stave lake witch is infamous for the winds picking up and I do rather well . I go to the top end of Stave as well . If it gets to rough I will head in to the beach and chill ,swim , give my dog a good run after being in the boat for hours . Word of advise , for heaven sake don't forget the plug   ::) . Even most seasoned boat runners have the odd brain fart and forget to plug it  :o . Have fun , be safe . Oh , if you are going to beach it I would sudjest finding a good size log , if there are any around , something like around 4 or 5 '' round log and use it for the beach so's you don't scratch up that black bottom paint . Just sayin  8)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 07:43:53 PM by armytruck »
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 07:42:48 PM »

You can allways make a list of things.
You would be surprised how many of us with lots of experience have done silly things like forget the plug or tie downs still on while trying to launch and wondering why boat is not coming off and the trailer is floating. :o

Allouette is a great place as any to start.
Stay away from the Fraser until it drops down to normal levels and flow.

You have the Tsawassen Jetty right there but I wouldn't go out there until you have some experience.
Enjoy the new boat. :)

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 10:18:45 PM »

Alouette eh... I been reading about it and most say that if the wind picks up it can be quite challenging.

I'm glad others have echoed Alouette.

I'm really NOT trying to be a dick here....but if that is 'challenging', boating isn't for you.

Or here is an idea, rent a boat a Sewells a couple of times and get used to it.  Then take your boat out.  Do that twice, and you will have much more confidence on the water and you will laugh at how much comfort you have gained when you look back at this thread.

Then, as the EXCELLENT POINTS made by the others after me re: drain plug, tie downs, dead batteries etc.  Half the time, I say to myself before, at, or just after launching, "how the F did I forget to do/bring that?". 

You will get there with experience.  Again, have fun and congrats on a nice boating set up!

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:20:37 PM by Damien »

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 11:35:32 PM »

So I guess the consensus is Alouette Lake! Thanks guys for all your advice. I will definitely make a "list" to make sure I don't forget any of the essentials!

On that note, since this will also be the first time I go trolling/fishing on a boat of my own, and I already have the Boating Safety Kit and life jackets, what else would you guys have on this list of essentials?

Peace. One. Jewelz.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 12:20:32 AM »

T P, or worse case scenario , fresh water fishing synopsis ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

riptide

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 08:59:02 AM »

Another useful tip is when you are trailering your boat don't forget to trailer trim your leg , trim up is not enough to get the leg off the pavement .The end of the earth grinding sound and abrupt stop are good indications you messed up . Always double check your straps in and out , there isn't many places to secure your straps on the road  after the launch at allouette . You don't want your brand new boat skidding down the hill back into the water . Having someone in the boat that can drive is a bonus , the parking lot is a good 15 minute round trip , the dock can get a bit crowded . Otherwise have your bumpers and rope ready and knot tying skills are always an asset . Happy and safe boating and yes Allouette is probably your best bet locally .
Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that