Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: best lines for Centerpins??  (Read 15004 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
Re: best lines for Centerpins??
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 01:18:46 AM »

For the record XL is Extra Limp, XT is extra tough. XL is good for spinning reels, XT is much stiffer line which can be nice for Centrepinning.
I have to correct myself. I have berkley trilene maxx on my pin. Looking at the spool with some remaining line on it.

bowriva76

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 07:49:15 AM »

i use Siglon FF, great line for pinning, can"t find out here I usually bring it in from the states or Ontario.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 09:00:01 AM »

that was very interesting, thanks guys im thinking maxima is the way to go a west coast favorite.
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

Brian

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 09:23:01 AM »

Thanks for all the info guys ive Decided to put on #20 dacron and  my usally #12 maxima UG.Now all i nedd to figure out is how much dacron to put on for i have around 180 yrds of mono. :)

If you can tie nail knots, just spool the backing 1/2 way up the reel, then mono for the remaining bit.  Leave a bit of space at the edge of the reel, at least 4mm so that if your line bunches up while fighting fish it doesn't jam up under the reel foot.

chromer

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »

Tis the season!! #20 dacron, #15 Utragreen.

Tight Lines. ;)

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 08:27:44 AM »

that is a beautiful fish... :o
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

Silex-user

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 09:04:54 AM »

Being using straight mono fishing lines on my CP reels for 37 years and I have never put backing on it before. Never had any problems. Same with my mooching single action reels. I used lots of P-line as my mainline on all my CP reels.

Silex-user

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 11:28:43 AM »

In the old days one used to wrap wool around the spool (as the cushion) then add mono.
Now I have 30# backing ( you don't get as much on as 20#) but it loads back onto the reel smoother if I should happen to go past my 150 yds of UG.
I just do that because I tend to put 30# backing on my fly reels where I notice the respooling.
and backing will retain it's strength longer than straight mono.
My 2 cents.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 12:14:23 PM »

I use backing on my islander simply because it holds so much line. Its cheaper and easier to changes 150 or so yards rather than what the spool will hold. My avon holds less line so i spool it with straight mono.

I use 15lb maxima camelion. I have used ultragreen before but prefer a stiffer line on a pin. I haven't used any other brands than maxima. There may be better but what I use works good and is easy to find so I don't really feel a need to try others.

lapa

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2010, 05:49:44 PM »

i use Siglon FF, great line for pinning, can"t find out here I usually bring it in from the states or Ontario.

what  # are you using? Anybody else using one of thesehttp://www.centerpinangling.com/main-line.html

lapa

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2010, 10:17:36 PM »

I used the Hi-Vis pink Siglon F  in 12#(frays easily, stretches and bad line twists) then tried Ultima Flo-Cast in 20# and was great till you hooked a fish with some weight like chinooks or chum and then the line would split and expose the fibers around the hollow core. I'm now using 15# Raven(Hi-Vis yellow) and so far it's not bad. Great knot strength, floats like the others and pretty good abrasion resistance and low stretch. I still go back to and always feel secure using 15# Maxima Chameleon.

Thanks ChromeKings. Where did you buy your GLX 1563?

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2010, 11:15:42 PM »

Lots of guys start using fireline on their centerpin for bigger system in Ontario and many good reviews....  I switched to seaguar  invizX fluorocarbpn in 15lb and worked like a charm...