Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Altercation at Larfarge - Banana's speak out!  (Read 15541 times)

Nothat

Re: Altercation at Larfarge - Banana's speak out!
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 04:35:35 PM »

Mattyo, Easywater explained  it better than me.   You will usually hear it from  the first generation Canadian Chinese to mock their children that do not understand Chinese culture.   It is not too much an insualting term.

fish007

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 05:38:20 PM »

I have crossed others` line or been crossed by others several times when fishing. Just say sorry and smile as it is difficult to say who is wrong or right. The fact is when the line is under the water, others will not be able to know where they are, especially for newbies. 

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 05:57:12 PM »

I have crossed others` line or been crossed by others several times when fishing. Just say sorry and smile as it is difficult to say who is wrong or right. The fact is when the line is under the water, others will not be able to know where they are, especially for newbies. 

Its quite easy to know who is wrong or right. If your line is straight infront of you and a guy casts a line over yours its his fault. What so hard about that? If a new fisherman comes and casts over your line and its an accident he would immediately apologize. Blatant casts over your line is different as this poster has mentioned. I would have cut his line. I have done it before. No words used just grabbed the line cut it and continued to fish.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

camtheman

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 06:09:52 PM »

i was fishing the vedder once when this guy came on the far bank and started casting right to the side i was on he had a barbed treble hook that got me right in the arm
i wouldve called the cops cause he assualted me and the dfo but i dont have a phone
instead i pulled his line in till i got to his snaggers weight and then ran from the river as fast as i could when that line tightened up his rod came straight out of his hands
i only dragged it through the sand and gravel for 30 feet or so then i told him he could go swimming if he wanted it back  ( the water was only 3 feet deep there)
he got his rod back and proceded to throw rocks at me  i threw bigger ones back and he left soon after
i hope that learned him

toyt_lines

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 06:14:48 PM »

i was fishing the vedder once when this guy came on the far bank and started casting right to the side i was on he had a barbed treble hook that got me right in the arm
i wouldve called the cops cause he assualted me and the dfo but i dont have a phone
instead i pulled his line in till i got to his snaggers weight and then ran from the river as fast as i could when that line tightened up his rod came straight out of his hands
i only dragged it through the sand and gravel for 30 feet or so then i told him he could go swimming if he wanted it back  ( the water was only 3 feet deep there)
he got his rod back and proceded to throw rocks at me  i threw bigger ones back and he left soon after
i hope that learned him

that is something else but I wish I had seen that happen

fish007

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 06:48:50 PM »

Corss others ` line with intention is not good >:(did not see this happen before). I just mean someone across the rive and we both cast to the middle of the rive. Or we stand should by shoulder and both casting forward...

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 06:54:22 PM »

i hope that learned him

lol thats hilarious!
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 07:57:58 PM »

Corss others ` line with intention is not good >:(did not see this happen before). I just mean someone across the rive and we both cast to the middle of the rive. Or we stand should by shoulder and both casting forward...

I dont fish places where its shoulder to shoulder so thats not a problem for me. I avoid those places like the plague....

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Sinaran

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 08:51:52 PM »

Are they a group of elderly people?  I was there today too from 2pm to 3:30pm, fishing at the southeast side. 
If so, i think it's not worth getting upset at that, just let them know they are wrong, and if shiets persist, just call in.  Don't worry about whether the DFO or CO etc would show up or not, just do our part and call them in. 
Sometimes it's hard to change some people's values and behaviours, especially for the people that grew in a different society(regardless of the race).    I speak both mandarin and cantonese, and i have approached some of the violators that speak the languages quite a few times.  All I can say is that, if you talk to these people in a friendlier tone, MOST of them would usually change the way they are fishing, and some of them are even very willing to learn more because there is no language barrier.  As well i think pointing out the race would not help diminishing stereotypes....
So, take it easy, dude.  The next time you see this, just call in and walk away, don't let them ruin your day. 
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 09:20:35 PM »

Racial stereotyping does not help the situation at all.  Bannana, manyana, whatever we are all fishermen.  However, if some people are going to be rude and ignorant all you can do is to try and make your point. If that does not work, I would just leave and go find another spot to fish.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2009, 09:42:37 PM »

those guys are at the south end of the lake almost every day it is their personal buffet and they think they own that spot I came up on them once just walked away in disgust.

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2009, 09:50:25 PM »

Racial stereotyping does not help the situation at all.  Bannana, manyana, whatever we are all fishermen.  However, if some people are going to be rude and ignorant all you can do is to try and make your point. If that does not work, I would just leave and go find another spot to fish.

I agree that Racial Stereotyping does not help, but to leave a fishing spot that you got to at 6am because someone is being a jerk is wrong as well. Why should the fisherman in the right have to leave or find a new spot, let the Jerk move on, after all, it's his issue, not yours.

I am sick and tired of ethical fishermen (Like most of us) having to bow down to the few jerks out there. I wish there was some sort of way we could self regulate or something, the DFO is HUGELY understaffed and we can't blame them, but there needs to be a way that we as fishermen can help them out, calling the DFO is NOT WORKING!!!!!! I just read another post on a different forum where there was a guy that had a WILD Coho, nothing on his hook, and NO LICENSE, what did he get a $115 fine!!!

There needs to be a MUCH HARSHER fine, that might deter the jerks as well, maybe they will stay at home!!

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 10:35:26 PM »

I agree harsher penalties for people who poach should be levied by DFO officers and COs.  Steps in the right direction would be larger fines, and confiscation of not only the fish but all fishing equipment such as rods and fishing tackle, etc. .
However, that is where the officals have to get get their act together and follow through on cracking down on fisherman breaking the law.

Not much you can do when a guy is going to throw over your line aside from warning him not to do it, and if he keeps it up to cut his line. However, you have to be careful about that because it can soon escalate to more than that. After all look what happened a few years ago in Southern Ontario, where Asian fishermen were subjected to violence by either being thrown into lakes or rivers, or being beaten up, just for fishing.  The reason given is that Asian fishermen were stereotyped into being poachers by certain groups of fishermen who decided to take the law into their own hands.  And unfortunately during that time period if they saw an Asian angler, it was a case of judge, jury and punishment being inflicted on any Asian fishermen who ran into this group of vigilantes.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2009, 11:08:54 PM »

I think its more of an identity than a stereotype.  Part of my identity is that I am Caucasian.  The OP is merely saying he identifies with being Asian but accustomed to North American cultured.  Nothing wrong with that.  A few of my Asian friends refer to themselves as Bananas, there's no attached derogatory meaning to the term.

All he's saying is that he thinks these Chinese fishermen may listen to him a bit better than they'll listen to, say, me, as he has race in common.  That may be the case, i don't think there is any need to completely dismiss the notion of race every time the topic comes up.  Racism is different than race.  Racial groups do have something in common- obviously.  Why else would there be a Persian community, a Greek community, a Chinatown?  Differences don't need to preclude respect or ability to get along between the two groups, but often common ground is useful in resolving issues.  In this case, the common ground is merely race.  Fine, nothing wrong with that.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 11:15:31 PM by Matt »

gcal

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2009, 02:04:36 AM »

I think its more of an identity than a stereotype.  Part of my identity is that I am Caucasian.  The OP is merely saying he identifies with being Asian but accustomed to North American cultured.  Nothing wrong with that.  A few of my Asian friends refer to themselves as Bananas, there's no attached derogatory meaning to the term.

All he's saying is that he thinks these Chinese fishermen may listen to him a bit better than they'll listen to, say, me, as he has race in common.  That may be the case, i don't think there is any need to completely dismiss the notion of race every time the topic comes up.  Racism is different than race.  Racial groups do have something in common- obviously.  Why else would there be a Persian community, a Greek community, a Chinatown?  Differences don't need to preclude respect or ability to get along between the two groups, but often common ground is useful in resolving issues.  In this case, the common ground is merely race.  Fine, nothing wrong with that.

Thanks Matt.   This is exactly what I'm saying.   You're very astute for a young guy.   :)     Non-asian even!  (just kidding everyone!)

And yes, it is the crowded South - Southeast side.   Fishing dock.    Many times if the dock is occupied, I move on.  But yesterday, it was empty, until they arrived.   Time was 9:30-10:30 am.   The other "fisherman" wanted to cast into the south-east pocket from the dock, rather than moving to the surrounding bank (which had open spaces - just not as comfortable as fishing from the dock).

I'm still going to be fishing there.   As someone earlier mentioned, I got there first, and it's not right that it's ME, that has to move out of the spot.   Fishing at Lake Lafarge (bottom fishing) is not like river fishing.  There is a lot more sitting around and waiting, similar to bar fishing.

This is my first year fishing (except for when I was a boy growing up in Victoria).   I started when I attended the Father's Day fishing event at Lake Lafarge.   Then I got "hooked" and started fishing there, and then onto the Pinks, which was a lot of fun, catching 18 this year.    I visited the Vedder and Stave to check things out, but I didn't fish.   I'll do that next year when I get more experienced.

But even for a relatively new guy, I know what should be obviously right and wrong and what should be normal common courtesy.