Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jones Lake  (Read 4611 times)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
Jones Lake
« on: April 04, 2020, 04:57:18 PM »

Hello anglers. Wanting to self isolate and take a drive up to Jones Lake and go wet a line for some trout. Anybody been up there lately? Is it open? How’s the rd conditions? Thanks

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Jones Lake
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 05:05:10 PM »

Buddy of mine was up there two days ago. He says no ice or snow but it did snow yesterday a bit and some this morning here in town. I personally wouldn't touch jones till mid April or May. The water is too cold. That's just my opinion tho.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 06:20:38 PM »

Buddy of mine was up there two days ago. He says no ice or snow but it did snow yesterday a bit and some this morning here in town. I personally wouldn't touch jones till mid April or May. The water is too cold. That's just my opinion tho.
Okay. Makes sense. Thanx for the reply.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 08:40:54 PM »

The earliest we've fished one year was in mid February but it was a pretty mild winter.

Other years we've been up there around now, but we're having a colder April for sure so I'd delay it for a few more weeks.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 01:37:08 PM »

Good advice!

arimaBOATER

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 09:37:13 PM »

Adventure 90% driving up & down getting to Jones & leaving Jones lake.
Adventure 10% the fishing part.
Guess this lake freezes so ice fishing would be good ? 

hammer

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 07:40:01 PM »

I took my kids there last summer. We trolled around with wedding rings and flatfish and caught quite a few small pan fry size rainbows - great fun. We also caught some pretty big signal crayfish. Has anyone had success targeting the cutthroat? I would have thought of the twenty or so fish we caught a bigger cutty might have turned up but nada. Any advice? Post or pm me...

Robert_G

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 07:47:21 PM »

I took my kids there last summer. We trolled around with wedding rings and flatfish and caught quite a few small pan fry size rainbows - great fun. We also caught some pretty big signal crayfish. Has anyone had success targeting the cutthroat? I would have thought of the twenty or so fish we caught a bigger cutty might have turned up but nada. Any advice? Post or pm me...

Strange....I wonder if it was the time of year. I don't fish Jones in mid summer, but wedding bands with worms is lethal for both cutties and rainbows on that lake.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 09:03:23 PM »

Creek mouths. :) Both Alta Lake in Whistler and Jones Lake are stocked with 3N Taylor strain cutthroat trout. They are aggressive under the right conditions, and usually found in the shallows in April, May and even into June. We catch them by casting and retrieving 1/8oz Crocs, float fishing with single eggs, stripping a leech pattern with an intermediate sink line.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 09:14:54 PM »

Creek mouths. :) Both Alta Lake in Whistler and Jones Lake are stocked with 3N Taylor strain cutthroat trout. They are aggressive under the right conditions, and usually found in the shallows in April, May and even into June. We catch them by casting and retrieving 1/8oz Crocs, float fishing with single eggs, stripping a leech pattern with an intermediate sink line.
x 2. 
The cutthroat are stocked into Jones and Alta Lakes to predate on stickleback, in order to boost the kokanee population, as the stickleback compete with the kokanee for food.

Knowing that coastal cutthroat are piscivorous and were put there for stickleback for crowd control, spoons and other terminal tackle meant to imitate batifish would be highly effective.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 09:27:36 PM »

Love catching these cutthroat trout, probably my favourite species in lakes around here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbOH_38qkbg

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 10:25:12 PM »

Wow! Nice catch Rod!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 10:47:33 PM »

Here's another one from Alta Lake.

At Jones Lake, I've never encountered any specimens that are as large as the big ones at Alta. Here's a Jones Lake fish.

They also tend to be a bit on the skinny side.

hammer

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 11:19:01 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking it was time of year.

hammer

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 11:19:46 PM »

Have anyone eaten one?