Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fluorocarbon  (Read 11312 times)

Carich980

Fluorocarbon
« on: October 13, 2011, 09:36:34 PM »

I recently switched from Mono to Fluorocarbon & I'm breaking off way more now at my Nail knot from the weighted fly line tip to the leader. To make sure i went back to Mono and have yet to break off again. Anyone have a solution? Id like to use the Fluorocarbon since it has a smaller diameter in the water.

blackskull

Re: Fluorocarbon
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 01:31:28 PM »

Flouro doesn't like heat.  So, cinch really slow and use a lot of lube.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 01:36:51 PM »

Flouro is more brittle of a line, almost no stretch, and nicks more easily on rocks.  It's great in clear conditions, but you have to treat it differently than mono. 

So, cinch really slow and use a lot of lube.

Great advice for many things in life!  lol

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 07:47:41 PM »

Stick to mono or copolymer ..... flurocarbon is rubbish - too unpredictable  ;D

There are so few times when 4 or 5lb breaking strain mono/copolymer will scare fish it's not worth bothering about.

It's all about the latest fashions!  ::)
Try the fly!

iCemAn

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 11:35:44 PM »

I recently switched from Mono to Fluorocarbon & I'm breaking off way more now at my Nail knot from the weighted fly line tip to the leader. To make sure i went back to Mono and have yet to break off again. Anyone have a solution? Id like to use the Fluorocarbon since it has a smaller diameter in the water.

Were you using full fluoro for a leader & tippet?

I use tapered leaders (mono) and attach a small fluorocarbon tippet with a triple surgeons knot. Make sure the taper is a similar diameter to the tippet and wet the knot a lot when you tighten it.
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 12:38:54 AM »

if you were nail knotting your flouro directly to your fly line then stop doing that and instead put a small chunk of mono nail knotted to the fly line (25/30lb is good) and leave this chunk about 6-8inches long and tie a double surgeons loop in it. this will act as a butt section and a loop to loop connector. then double surgeons your flouro and loop to loop connect the two, add your fly and Voila !!!

of course if your fly line has a welded loop already then there is no need for a mono butt tied in, however i have yet to see a sink tip that has welded loops on both ends.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

blackskull

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 10:43:52 AM »

Rio Mow Tips are looped on both ends  :). http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/spey/tips/skagit-mow-tips

if you were nail knotting your flouro directly to your fly line then stop doing that and instead put a small chunk of mono nail knotted to the fly line (25/30lb is good) and leave this chunk about 6-8inches long and tie a double surgeons loop in it. this will act as a butt section and a loop to loop connector. then double surgeons your flouro and loop to loop connect the two, add your fly and Voila !!!

of course if your fly line has a welded loop already then there is no need for a mono butt tied in, however i have yet to see a sink tip that has welded loops on both ends.

Carich980

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 07:43:38 PM »

Thanks for the help going to try it out again this week.

iCemAn

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 09:33:49 PM »

Thanks for the help going to try it out again this week.

Good luck! Should be cheaper for you too since Fluoro is pricey!
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 01:08:55 AM »

glad to hear someone is starting to make sink tips with loops on both ends however i think the MOW tips are that way so you can add more tips to them if needed  ;)
Check out our new blog

Preliator

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 05:14:49 PM »

I have an Airflo tip that has loops on both ends... or at least it HAD before it snapped off while playing a Logfish. It's 12 LB breaking strength, but it's tapered end makes it smaller in diameter than my mono's in 10+ LBS. What would be ideal to attach for a new loop connection point?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 06:29:23 PM »

All flouro is NOT created equal.

Maxima makes some strong flouro, check it out. 

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 09:15:53 PM »

hey I always tie two nail knots and I put a small dab of aquaseal on the knot and it never pulls out on me. Just my suggestion.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 12:47:23 AM »

Preliator - nail knot an 8-10inch chunk of 12lb mono and then do a double surgeons knot in that mono and you will have made your own loop connection. I say 12lb because you said that was the breaking strength. I use 25-30lb on tips with 20-30lb breaking strength and have never had the tip snap on me but i have had the loop bust apart or off leaving me a nub of mono.
Check out our new blog

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 11:16:56 AM »

I've found the brand of fluoro to make a big difference, as some indeed do appear to tie weak unpredictable knots.  SA Fluoro was bad, Rio Fluoroflex was ok and Seaguar was great.  The differences were drastic.  I had a spool of Triple Fish fluoro that I've used pulling plugs and spoons for piscivorous trout up to 14lbs and I never had any problems.  Seemed it was a good product as well.