Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what to do with bait that gets soggy in the borax.  (Read 5626 times)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: what to do with bait that gets soggy in the borax.
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 08:58:49 AM »

I just slap mine willy nilly into a glass jar with some extra scent. Bang ! fish on  ;)

I do like drying mine a decent amount before bagging it for the fridge or freezer, I like dry to the touch roe because I hate sticky/gooey hands, pink fingers and disgusting looking gear. Sorry I mean its tacky to the touch but feels dry after being in the Borax

I could probably be due to learn how to make excellent roe but seriously I might use it a few times a season so I could care less because it works when I use it.

HOOK - would rather toss a fly anyhow !!!  ;D

Hook - you know I'm with you about tossing flies.  But having the "secret sauce" roe at the peak of the coho run is gold!  As for the mess and pink/red hands - I wash off every time I bait-up, and sometimes wear disposable nitrile gloves.  Yeah, I hate the mess too.  But if it means I'm hooking up every cast, then I'll live with it for a while... ;)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 05:20:46 PM »

FFM - this year im just gonna toss small dynamite sticks while a friend is downstream netting our limit  ;)  I figure I will be home in bed before the wife is even awake using this tactic LoL

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 06:36:44 PM »

Wow, Spoonman, some nicely coloured and dry looking roe & single eggs in your photo. You should change your name to Roeman,  ;)  I don't see any juice on the paper towel. How do you get the eggs so dry? Do you want to share your 5-ingredient recipe?