Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Got a boat, now what?  (Read 5953 times)

Lumps

Re: Got a boat, now what?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 08:31:28 AM »

Is this a serious thread? Out on the chuck mean?! Stick to the docks.
Best 4 wheel drive I ever had was a company 2 wheel drive.

Stu

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 09:49:17 AM »

Is this a serious thread? Out on the chuck mean?! Stick to the docks.
I understand how that can sound funny to you,
but remember that not everyone was born here. English is not my first language.
There are some expressions that I've never heard before.

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

tumbleweed

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 10:11:17 AM »

Stu out in the chuck means the ocean. I grew up taking trips to the ocean with my Dad and his Buddy. They were experienced and had both taken the power squadron course. We got into some nasty situations. Its nothing to play around with. The weather and tide changes can cause you a lot of problems in a hurry. We were at Sandheads during a tide change and nasty weather and we were lucky to make it out. Stick to some smaller lakes until you have figured out what you are doing.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 03:54:25 PM »

2nd to what tumbleweed said...for example just the other day we were out at Sandheads & the wind from the from the SE really increased... (a steady blow)
The waves were 3.5 & some 4 fters possibly.
With our type of hull (boat design) when it gets too rough we have to go max. 5mph. as it is not a deep V ...thus our boat does not cut through the waves.
Plus we are under-powered with only having a 40hp (should have a 50 min.)
Anyways as we are heading up river with these waves hitting against the starboard side of our boat on  (right side of us) & with big fishing seine boats full of fish are powering up the river.
Their wake waves (from their boat) clashed into the waves made by the wind.
When these waves met the height of the waves jumped up to a 5 fter.....that had our 16 ft boat jumping about in all sorts of angles. Fortunately we have a 7ft 6in beam (width) so the boat is quite stable.
Nevertheless it was a little concerning.

As tumbleweed said the Fraser river can be quite un nerving...it can turn from good conditions to very bad conditions in a matter of a short time...(winds & tide change)
Stay to the lakes & on calm days ... wear your life-jackets & just get experienced.
 ;) Have fun.
As mentioned in an earlier post ya can rinse out your outboard after use with flushers ...connect to a water hose & attach to the bottom of your outboard & turn the water on alittle & start up...water will spray out from the impreller (pee hole) if everything is set up right. Flush for 5 minutes at least.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 04:00:08 PM by arimaBOATER »