Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon Stamp. The Province is going to rip you off again..  (Read 14028 times)

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
Re: Sturgeon Stamp. The Province is going to rip you off again..
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2007, 05:53:20 AM »

Steelhd, We still offer the seminar,  usually in January when things are just getting rolling.

Troutbreath, thanks for your post.

I don't want people to get the wrong idea, I think we are all willing to pay our share and I am more than happy to pay $60 or even $100 for an annual license. I just think we need to recognize the contribution to sturgeon data collection from tourists and allow for a fair and reasonable daily fee.

Hope to see you all on the water.

Tight lines.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »

The Ministry of Environment will be hosting four public consultation meetings on the white sturgeon conservation surcharge stamp.

May 14, 2007
7:00 pm-9:00 pm
Ramada Hotel
10410 158th Street, Surrey

May 15, 2007
Rhombus Hotel,
45920 First Avenue, Chilliwack

May 23, 2007
Ministry of Environment
400-640 Borland Street, Williams Lake

May 24, 2007
District of Lillooet REC Centre
930 Main Street, Lillooet

Agenda

• Provincial Sturgeon Status and Fisheries Management 7:00 – 7:15
  • Current Lower- and Mid-Fraser Population Status 7:15 – 7:30
  • Potential and Proposed Fishery Management Changes 7:30 – 7:45
  • Questions & Discussion 7:45 – 9:00

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2007, 07:18:51 AM »

Remember there is NO conservation problem in the Lower Fraser.

stlhd4ever

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2007, 10:54:12 AM »

I'd still say there is a conservation problem in the lower fraser.does anybody really know how many fish there are in the lower fraser or how far up river they travel? Here's another ? if any body here saw a dead sturgeon would you report it or keep quiet in fear of the fishery closing. Really think about that. I reported 5 dead sturgeon last year, all under 5 feet. That's quite a few for a fish that is so tough. Think about how you play them, play them hard and as quickly as possible so not to tire them out so much and I believe people shouldn't be yarding them onto their boats for pics.
Wishin I was Fishin

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2007, 11:07:02 AM »

I'd still say there is a conservation problem in the lower fraser.does anybody really know how many fish there are in the lower fraser or how far up river they travel? Here's another ? if any body here saw a dead sturgeon would you report it or keep quiet in fear of the fishery closing. Really think about that. I reported 5 dead sturgeon last year, all under 5 feet. That's quite a few for a fish that is so tough. Think about how you play them, play them hard and as quickly as possible so not to tire them out so much and I believe people shouldn't be yarding them onto their boats for pics.

Well said and these same people are also the first ones to rant about how bad bottom bounceing is.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

bcguy

« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2007, 01:06:54 PM »

This whole post reminds me of the total inefficiency of our massive bureaucracy. We already contribute over 50% of our paychecks (when is tax freedom day?) to supporting all the programs and developments in this nation, or at least Quebec and Ontario. If we really lived in a free and democratic society, all programs would be put forward to the interested parties, and a vote put forward to implement or not (remember, democracy revolves around the theory that the majority rules, not just jamming it down our throats, something our politicians seem to have forgotten when making new policy). It's like the political cartoon the other day, joe blow taxpayer handing MORE money to a government official and stating to him" You can have half now, and then, if you can prove to me through your ACTIONS (read: NOT words), that you can spend it responsibly, you can have the other half", thats what we need to start doiing. We do it for our kids, and thats only a few dollars, why is it different when its in the BILLIONS, anyone else see a problem here? Accountability is a word some individuals seem to struggle with. Seems to me if a business or group of individuals want to make money off our natural resources, then it should be they, not us, that pay for it. Sorry if this offends a few people, but I am sick of paying for others to make money (not me, but the business). By the way, I dont even fish for sturgeon, I just get sick of hearing about cash grabs...rant, rant, rant
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2007, 03:58:33 PM »

Anyone who posts something as blatantly untrue as quoted isn't to be taken seriously anytime.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2007, 04:11:19 PM »

Anyone who posts something as blatantly untrue as quoted isn't to be taken seriously anytime.

Well show me a study that that is different. Show me where the Province said there is a concern.
The study done said there was none in the Lower Fraser, however there were in other parts of the river which they closed to fishing.

stlhd4ever

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2007, 04:18:39 PM »

They are on a comeback, sure but doesn't mean there is no concern for them. Another huge die off like what happened 7 years ago? would devastate the population in one shot. So there is no reason to argue that there isn't a concern when it is clear as daylight. If something like this happens again you can bet you a$$ that they shut the fishery down.
Wishin I was Fishin

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2007, 04:37:12 PM »

And how many do anglers kill via catch and release?

How many die via poaching?

Why is it that the same government that wants to tax you to fish for these fish will not clean up all the S**t that is pumped into the Fraser each and every day?

Vancouver is worse than Victoria in this regard and an outside agency has to sue to try and get government to clean up?

roeman

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2007, 05:01:38 PM »

Dead sturgeon does not indicate poor catch and release, how about all the nets in the river.  Have seen on many occasions the picking of set nets, and up comes a sturgeon, how long has net been sitting there with the sturgeon caught.  Just another way they could be dying
Are you fishin or catchin

stlhd4ever

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2007, 06:13:42 PM »

I'm not saying it is poor catch and release, just a contributing factor. You can't tell me that releasing injured fish from yarding them up on your boat is good for them. Sending them out into a polluted river with open wounds can't be good for them. I've done it myself overplaying a fish and watching float down river hoping it revives itself. That's why I play them hard and fast make them give up and if I want a picture I take it to shore big or small. I've also seen brbs ripped off of them being yarded into the boat, when I first started fishing for these monsters. But I want to enjoy them for years to come so I try my best to preserve our local heritage.
Wishin I was Fishin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2007, 12:13:07 PM »

Here is a information bulletin released by the Ministry of Environment today:

MEETINGS SET FOR INPUT ON WHITE STURGEON SURCHARGE

VICTORIA – The Ministry of Environment will be consulting on a proposed conservation surcharge for white sturgeon anglers taking part in the catch-and-release fishery in the lower and middle sections of the Fraser River. Public meetings have been scheduled to gather input.

Recently, the majority of the white sturgeon populations in British Columbia (Columbia, Nechako, Kootenay and upper Fraser Rivers) were listed as endangered species under the federal Species at Risk Act (SARA). As a result, there is no fishing allowed on these populations. White sturgeon populations in the middle and lower Fraser River were not listed as it was felt that the populations were healthier than those listed, and are able to maintain the socially and economically important catch and release fisheries they support.

However, the middle and lower Fraser populations are still vulnerable. Accordingly, there is an increased responsibility on the Ministry of Environment to more closely monitor and assess the health of these sturgeon populations. In order to accomplish this task, the ministry is proposing the implementation of a sturgeon conservation surcharge stamp.

Every angler who fishes for sturgeon would be required to have this stamp on their licence and the ministry is currently exploring options for both pricing and duration of the stamp.

Revenue generated from the sales of the sturgeon conservation stamp will be used directly to fund sturgeon stock management activities on the middle and lower Fraser River.

Meetings are scheduled to acquire additional information regarding this initiative and to allow for their input and feedback. Locations and dates are as follows:

• Chilliwack, May 15, Rhombus Hotel, 7 – 9 p.m. (45920 First Avenue, Chilliwack)
• Surrey, May 14, Ramada Hotel, 7 – 9 p.m. (10410 158th Street, Surrey)
• Lillooet, May 24, District of Lillooet REC Centre, 7 - 9 p.m. (930 Main Street, Lillooet)
• Williams Lake, May 23, Ministry of Environment office, 7 – 9 p.m. (400 - 640 Borland Street, Williams Lake)

Stakeholders who cannot attend the public meetings can request additional information and provide feedback at: fish.web@gov.bc.ca

Media contact:

Kate Thompson
Media Relation
250 953-4577

For more information on government services or to subscribe to the Province’s news feeds using RSS, visit the Province’s website at http://www.gov.bc.ca.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2007, 01:55:37 PM »

Just bring this back up to the top. For those who were unable to attend the public consultation meetings that took place a month ago, you can now send your concerns by email to:

fish.web@gov.bc.ca