Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tofino fishing spots  (Read 15130 times)

fengyuanfei

tofino fishing spots
« on: October 21, 2005, 08:50:10 AM »

I am going to Tofino on remembrance day long weekend, and I want to do some fishing, no matter river, lake or ocean. I don't have a boat and am not interested in a charter, any suggestions please?

Thanks

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: tofino fishing spots
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 10:27:33 AM »

Salmon will proabaly be done for fishing in the ocean and wraping up in the river. The stamp is on the way and should have some coho or if you have a tube or boat you could try some of the lakes on the way like sproat,cameron. There are some really nice rivers on the way that may have some trout i would check to make sure they are open. Sorry dont have much more info i dont fish out near tofino much. If your interested i know a few other lakes.

phatwop

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 05:11:35 PM »

I couldn't find it in the reegulations, but kennedy lake, kennedy river might be an option, it's just before the junction where you either go to ucluelet or tofino, comber's beach has sea-run cutthroat year round, casting for coho off the crab dock in town is pretty good, surf perch at chesterman if you can bear the cold and surfers.

ocean_going

• fish on
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 05:57:34 PM »

you can rent  a small boat like I did and catch dogfish they are fun I've never kept them but fun any way.

phatwop

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 09:12:07 AM »

you can rent  a small boat like I did and catch dogfish they are fun I've never kept them but fun any way.

if you want to go for dogfish for some reason, any dock in tofino at high tide will provide plenty of opportunity for dogfish and the occasional skate.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 12:35:33 PM »

Forgot about the docks in town, I have seen coho and springs caught there maybe some late coho left. Never fished kennedy but have been down to it. We took the route near the tofino dump and it was about an hour or more on gravel roads although i think we got lost.

fengyuanfei

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 10:16:48 AM »

fishing the docks in town sounds best so far, what technique would you use?

I don't think I want to be out on a boat on choppy water and driving too much dirt road to get to the lake doesn't sound too appealing either.

Keep the hints coming guy's, thanks.

phatwop

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 02:57:00 PM »

fishing the docks in town sounds best so far, what technique would you use?

I don't think I want to be out on a boat on choppy water and driving too much dirt road to get to the lake doesn't sound too appealing either.

Keep the hints coming guy's, thanks.

off the docks, you can try casting for salmon using stingzeldas (sp?) , buzz bombs, zingers, spoons. otherwise, you can use bait and do some bottom fishing for cod, shiner, perch, tommy cod, flounder, eels, etc. a simple spinning rod and reel set up will suffice. good luck.

fengyuanfei

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 09:37:07 AM »

Interesting, I have never bottom fished in the ocean, what kind of bait would you use, and would you suspend it floating from a sinker that sits on the bottom? Thanks.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 10:12:47 AM »

I use shrimp and squid together. put on a piece of squid first then a piece of shrimp.

phatwop

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 12:12:41 PM »

Interesting, I have never bottom fished in the ocean, what kind of bait would you use, and would you suspend it floating from a sinker that sits on the bottom? Thanks.

no float is needed as the ocean bottom off the docks is pretty much all sand. the best bait would be to use clams, anything from the sea worm family, and mussels.  i have never used squid or prawns there, but i don't see why they wouldn't work. mussels and sea worms are all over the place near the dock, so i would recommend those, prawns and squid you might need to purchase beforehand somewhere.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 12:39:23 PM »

I usually ask my wife to save some when she cooks just freeze it and bring with you. Mussel and clam is a great bait you'll catch fish for sure (at least perch) but easy for small fish to steal.

For seaworm is probably by far the best the only problem is you have to time your arrival.

fengyuanfei

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 10:31:45 AM »

so whats my setup for bottom fishing off the docks?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 10:47:53 AM »

If your target fish is not sole then use 1/4oz weight on mainline then swivel and a 11" leader with #4 hook if you are going after bigger fish only otherwise use #6.

fengyuanfei

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2005, 11:13:12 AM »

Here is the report from the weekend:

I tried the 1st road pier in the village, and all I got with squid was crabs on the hook. Current was too strong also, only got seaweed tangling up on line and sinkers. Next stop was the crab dock on 4th road. Current wasn't too bad there, but other than a sculpin there was no fish...

Went onto some rocks just outside the hotel and cast mussel into the tides, and got a nice 12" perch almost instantly. Hard to tell the fish bite though since the tides rolling in are so strong they bounce your weight off as well.

Kept the fish out on the balcony over night in a plastic bag, and although it was still there when going for breakfast it was all gone, including the bag after coming back, some seagull must have snatched it off.

Very impressed with Tofino, not necessarily with the fishing, but the beaches are great. Liked casting away into the incoming waves, didn't think perch are brave enough to go in there...