Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Landing net must be used for coho?  (Read 2937 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Landing net must be used for coho?
« on: September 30, 2021, 01:32:26 PM »

A friend was told that landing a coho on the Vedder should use a net and not dragging up to the shore or risking a fine. Is this an ethical issue or required by regulations or just misinformation? If by regulation, even if you already identify it at water's edge as a hatchery fish, you still cannot drag it to shore without a net? If this is true, can someone post a link to such regulation?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 01:35:46 PM by Steelhawk »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Landing net must be used for coho?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 01:47:53 PM »

That's news to me. I think your friend is pulling your leg.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 02:37:25 PM »

You also have to talk nicely to them before knocking them out. :-X

Seriously, a landing net with soft mesh is not mandatory but definitely recommended. I carry mine all the time now, but it's not used for every situation. It has cut down the fight time, saved a few near losses, and most importantly released the wild coho unharmed. In the canal, once the fish is identified as one which I can and want to retain, it gets slide up the beach. If it needs to be released, then the net comes out and it gets scooped, so I can take the hook out in the water and send it back without it thrashing around too much.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 03:54:01 PM »

That is news to me too but my friend said some experienced fishermen around him told him he needs a net landing coho. I thought it may be a new regulation but internet searches show nothing so I ask if anyone  knows about it.

I think it is a good idea to say something nice to the fish before we bonk them, such as "Thank you for the nice fight (or thank you for keeping yourself in great chrome shape. RIP!" BONK! 😆

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 06:49:50 PM »

I use a landing net as well. Wild coho remain in the net when unhooked and revived.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 09:45:15 PM »

That is news to me too but my friend said some experienced fishermen around him told him he needs a net landing coho. I thought it may be a new regulation but internet searches show nothing so I ask if anyone  knows about it.

There is no requirement, but its good practice. Too often you see people drag it up on the rocks, THEN identify it, which is poor form.

The regs do say they should be left in the water, though I suspect tickets arent issued too often for that...

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 10:24:25 PM »

I would carry a net more often but I don't like to carry one in my hands. Playing a fish whole holding a net is a little...awkward. What's an appropriate net for coho that you carry on your on your back with a magnetic net lanyard?

essyoo

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 09:56:24 AM »

After my favorite Gibbs net washed down river a couple weeks ago (going to blame my kid for that one ;D ) I wanted to switch to one that I could more easily carry on my bag but still big enough to land salmon with. I found a folding one at McFrugal's in langley and attached it with a cheap Maxcatch net magnet off amazon. It works great. It's not the folding type where the net "hoop" folds up but the handle just pivots 180 degrees. it's light enough I barely notice it on my back. I'll try to take a pic and post it later. Cost of net and magnet combined was about $50.

Morty

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 02:16:20 PM »

I always bring a net because over the years I have seen way too many fish lost once they get into water that shallower than 2 feet.
My net has helped others more often than I have used it for my fish.  And like others have indicated, it's a safety measure for unclipped fish that haven't earlier been identified.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 06:07:57 PM »

After my favorite Gibbs net washed down river a couple weeks ago (going to blame my kid for that one ;D ) I wanted to switch to one that I could more easily carry on my bag but still big enough to land salmon with. I found a folding one at McFrugal's in langley and attached it with a cheap Maxcatch net magnet off amazon. It works great. It's not the folding type where the net "hoop" folds up but the handle just pivots 180 degrees. it's light enough I barely notice it on my back. I'll try to take a pic and post it later. Cost of net and magnet combined was about $50.

And it was the dog that omitted that smell    ;D
http://

georgecorbett

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 08:35:38 PM »

That's news to me too. Now I know these things  :D :D :D

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 12:20:54 PM »

There is no MUST. 

A landing net is PREFERRED if you are not particularly confident on your fish ID and confirmation, your ability to quickly differentiate between a wild over hatchery or just want to make it easier to do both in a fashion that is least harmful for the fish.   

Please remember, even with a net, please use the net in knee deep water, any shallower and the fish can still run the risk of bashing itself senseless or loosing an eye on underlying rocks or gravel.

knotbadman

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2021, 04:06:15 PM »

Last week I had a wild coho on my line when it jumped out of the water and landed hard on the deck of my kayak before bouncing back into the water. So, even with the best laid plans and good release practices, some fish are just not that smart. It seemed to swim away alright but I imagine it had quite a headache.