Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Enforcement At KWB Today.  (Read 13702 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Enforcement At KWB Today.
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 04:20:49 PM »

Intresteting thanks for the info. If that's the case they should let the natives net the river after they get their brood stock.

Jk47

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 05:30:17 PM »

Salmonrook-

Although I don't think all fishing practices in the canal are acceptable or ethical. A closure is not the answer.

The vedder is a hatchery system. One of very few where anglers can retain salmon without any impact on future runs. It worries me to see so little education on how hatchery fisheries work, especially on the chilliwack system.

I see more and more posts on forums and social media by ignorant uninformed anglers rallying for restrictions and closures in the name of conservation. In fisheries where conservation isn't an issue. Vedder chinook both summer and fall are transplants.

Neither stock successfully produces offspring on their own. To put it simply at time of year the fry hatch their isn't suitable survival conditions for the fry.

With that said this run of fish is 100% hatchery. As long as the brood for coho and chinook is collected then literally every other fish could be harvested and it would not impact the following cycles run size. For anyone wondering more fish returning to the hatchery does not mean that they will spawn more fish. They have set brood quotas for all species. All the excess is sold as fertilizer and the hatchery does not receive any of this money.

I only bothered writing this to hopefully educate some people. Fishing opportunity for salmon has been reduced unimaginably in the last 10 years so it's downright idiotic to rally for closures and restrictions like bait bans, spot closures etc. in fisheries where catching and killing fish doesn't change a thing. There is real issues out there that majority of recreational anglers have no idea about because they don't see it with their own two eyes. Most people don't bother to learn because their too busy spiking their blood pressure freaking out about someone killing a hatchery chinook that can't even produce offspring.

I'm honestly terrified that if enough ignorant anglers continue to push to have our opportunities further reduced that the powers that be will actually listen and take away even more fisheries from us.
^^^Real talk^^^ Thanks for posting Avid Angler

avid angler

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 05:32:41 PM »

Intresteting thanks for the info. If that's the case they should let the natives net the river after they get their brood stock.
uuuum what? Canadian tax dollars pay for these fish. They are there for a recreational fishery. Not a food fishery.

buck

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 05:50:38 PM »

Summer red chinook are fish from Slim creek , 100 miles NE of Prince Georage and spawn last week of August to the middle of Sept. Harrison whites were transplanted in the early eighties. No fall reds were transplanted. Red chinook that people are catching are actually whites that have red coloured flesh possibly due to their diet.They all have that strong white chinook odour.
 No need for natives to net river as they get all excess fish not required for brood stock. Fish do not go for fertilizer but are processed for human consumption.
It was calculated that about 5% of returning transplanted whites are from natural production.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 06:57:35 PM »

Finally the definitive answer on Chwk.- Vedder chinook from someone who knows! That issue has now been put to rest. Well done Buck.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2017, 07:16:41 PM »

Finally the definitive answer on Chwk.- Vedder chinook from someone who knows! That issue has now been put to rest. Well done Buck.
x2

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 10:29:27 PM »

x3
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

salmonrook

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 10:44:40 PM »

Salmonrook-

Although I don't think all fishing practices in the canal are acceptable or ethical. A closure is not the answer.

The vedder is a hatchery system. One of very few where anglers can retain salmon without any impact on future runs. It worries me to see so little education on how hatchery fisheries work, especially on the chilliwack system.

I see more and more posts on forums and social media by ignorant uninformed anglers rallying for restrictions and closures in the name of conservation. In fisheries where conservation isn't an issue. Vedder chinook both summer and fall are transplants.

Neither stock successfully produces offspring on their own. To put it simply at time of year the fry hatch their isn't suitable survival conditions for the fry.

With that said this run of fish is 100% hatchery. As long as the brood for coho and chinook is collected then literally every other fish could be harvested and it would not impact the following cycles run size. For anyone wondering more fish returning to the hatchery does not mean that they will spawn more fish. They have set brood quotas for all species. All the excess is sold as fertilizer and the hatchery does not receive any of this money.

I only bothered writing this to hopefully educate some people. Fishing opportunity for salmon has been reduced unimaginably in the last 10 years so it's downright idiotic to rally for closures and restrictions like bait bans, spot closures etc. in fisheries where catching and killing fish doesn't change a thing. There is real issues out there that majority of recreational anglers have no idea about because they don't see it with their own two eyes. Most people don't bother to learn because their too busy spiking their blood pressure freaking out about someone killing a hatchery chinook that can't even produce offspring.

I'm honestly terrified that if enough ignorant anglers continue to push to have our opportunities further reduced that the powers that be will actually listen and take away even more fisheries from us.
Sorry but I am not an ignorant uniformed angler or a member of PETA but an avid angler for many years . I have fished this system for years and have seen some really unethical things, it doesn't matter if the fish are hatchery , wild or otherwise.The standards have to be upheld for the method of fishing. Condoning this behavior by saying it doesn't matter its a food fishery anyway doesn't do anything to curb these poor methods.
The point being that this area seems to attract poor behavior and illegal methods , maybe because its the easiest area to snag or line a fish, that's the ignorant angler your talking about .
The fact that they do have "wild"coho on this system, I have caught several, is a testament to some conservation measures .
 I have not seen the hatchery that's located on the Chilliwack system , I know its up by Slesse creek , I have often thought to visit or volunteer there and help continue this important recreational fishery.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 11:37:03 PM »

Salmonrook, you say you're  an avid angler and have fished this system " for many years " and you have never seen the hatchery? Guessing where it is lol..your argument just lost all validity...,   closing the canal, ..many years of low water??    Like avid angler said your way off base and another approach that takes away opportunity instead of the real problem. Enforcement.. way too many whacked out posts here recently. Thank christ that proper clubs and organizations actually make legitimate claims which affect legislation

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 11:40:19 PM »

Oh and Buck. Remember that the summer reds when in short supply have borrowed from.the Chehalis to meet quotas

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 07:52:32 AM »

pending revision by one of acknowledged experts; the coho in the Vedder is a wild natural run with hatchery enhancement. I have seen estimates of the long term average at about 20,000 fish that spawn naturally per season.Best I know the % of hatchery enhancement of coho has been drawn back over the years. Sure you can argue they have been 'corrupted' by the hatchery fish but the coho don't need the hatchery to survive as the White Springs and summer reds do. Steelhead are similar - naturally sustaining with hatchery enhancement.

Pink, and bull trout are all natural stock . I think chum are almost exclusively natural stock as well with some hatchery enhancement.

Races of white springs such as the Harrison fish lack the enzyme that metabolizes the red pigment seen in red spring flesh though I guess some small % of the race does have it.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 08:03:30 AM »

pending revision by one of acknowledged experts; the coho in the Vedder is a wild natural run with hatchery enhancement. I have seen estimates of the long term average at about 20,000 fish that spawn naturally per season.Best I know the % of hatchery enhancement of coho has been drawn back over the years. Sure you can argue they have been 'corrupted' by the hatchery fish but the coho don't need the hatchery to survive as the White Springs and summer reds do. Steelhead are similar - naturally sustaining with hatchery enhancement.

Pink, and bull trout are all natural stock . I think chum are almost exclusively natural stock as well with some hatchery enhancement.

Races of white springs such as the Harrison fish lack the enzyme that metabolizes the red pigment seen in red spring flesh though I guess some small % of the race does have it.
  There was a study done in the 90s that showed quite a bit of hatchery coho were spawning naturally.  In addition, they release lots of unclipped coho (fry? parr?) in the lower Vedder tributaries each year, so there's no way of knowing how many of the unclipped fish are actually wild.  But yes, last I read the coho stock used in the hatchery was wild Chilliwack river stock, taken from 3 different locations in the system with different run timing.

avid angler

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 08:50:25 AM »

Sorry but I am not an ignorant uniformed angler or a member of PETA but an avid angler for many years . I have fished this system for years and have seen some really unethical things, it doesn't matter if the fish are hatchery , wild or otherwise.The standards have to be upheld for the method of fishing. Condoning this behavior by saying it doesn't matter its a food fishery anyway doesn't do anything to curb these poor methods.
The point being that this area seems to attract poor behavior and illegal methods , maybe because its the easiest area to snag or line a fish, that's the ignorant angler your talking about .
The fact that they do have "wild"coho on this system, I have caught several, is a testament to some conservation measures .
 I have not seen the hatchery that's located on the Chilliwack system , I know its up by Slesse creek , I have often thought to visit or volunteer there and help continue this important recreational fishery.
If you think the issues caused by recreational anglers are worthy of closing the river then you are absolutely ignorant and uninformed. I am not saying they aren't issues that eventually need addressing. I'm saying there is 100000 other issues facing fish and recreational fisherman that need to take priority long before we even start to prioritize the flossing problem on the vedder

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 08:59:12 AM »

I think you covered this nicely Ralph.  It is interesting that more fall run red fleshed chinooks are showing up in the sports fishery.

bobby b

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 09:28:57 AM »

I've had a few marbled springs in the past, the red parts being very light red. This season i got a red that was very deep red indeed. It also did not at all emit the acrid stench that the whites have.

Back to the title of this thread... The enforcement was def visible on the river this weekend. By any account this, imo, is a good thing.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:30:37 AM by bobby b »