Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Rivers Day On The Chilliwack Vedder River  (Read 10082 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: World Rivers Day On The Chilliwack Vedder River
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 07:38:49 PM »

On today's tv news ( Global BC I believe ) it showed a big pile of trash dumped in the valley near a stream. Really gross. Chilliwack area.
https://globalnews.ca/video/3760245/illegal-dumping-ground-found-in-chilliwack
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:40:55 PM by chris gadsden »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 09:46:56 PM »

https://globalnews.ca/video/3760245/illegal-dumping-ground-found-in-chilliwack
Thanks Chris for bring up the link.  :)
People who litter / dump trash like the above example really points out good/ bad character people.
One wonders what kind of person would do such a bad deed?
Father husband friend employee would they be?
Was it done to save a few bucks from dumping fees...at what costs to our environment. Unreal.

96XJ

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 08:24:58 AM »

I like the Global interview with the home owner who said " maybe somebody stole the garbage and then dumped it " , sounds reasonable to me  ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 08:36:22 AM »

Hey... one man's trash is another's gold... why wouldn't anyone take the time to load up garbage at someone else's house in the middle of the night.........

96XJ

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 08:48:46 AM »

Apparently i hung around the wrong crowd when i was younger , stealing garbage then driving 30 km away and dumping it sounds like a blast

James

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 03:41:34 PM »

What about the " tent city " around tesky rock ( crossing).  Is that going to be cleaned up before the fall rains ? Or is the city going to leave it.
Watch out for needles!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 06:43:35 PM »

What about the " tent city " around tesky rock ( crossing).  Is that going to be cleaned up before the fall rains ? Or is the city going to leave it.
Watch out for needles!
Cleanup volunteers on Sunday are to stay away from these tent cities. Because of all the fires Provincial government people have been very busy, things are in the works and will be discussed this Sunday.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2017, 09:43:07 AM »

Not sure what Chilliwack does for garbage pick-up etc. but in Maple Ridge you have to pay to dump anything.
This includes lawn trimmings and garden waste.
If you take a bed to the dump it costs $10 per mattress or boxspring.
They are almost forcing some to do illegal dumping with there high fees.
Im thinking maybe Chilliwack is run the same as Maple Ridge.
Very poorly.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2017, 03:53:47 PM »

Maple Ridges, Rivers day is at Alco Park, put on by ARMS society and features a Fish Pond which I have run for 17 years. There are very willing and hungry large trout. 2$ per kid attempt, BCFDF volunteers so it's great action, 11 am start on fish pond rest of event goes till 330, awesome time

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2017, 04:53:30 PM »

If you take a bed to the dump it costs $10 per mattress or boxspring.
They are almost forcing some to do illegal dumping with there high fees.

There's no excuse for dumping garbage. Nobody likes paying fees but it costs money to sort refuse, transport it, and pay people a living wage to run the transfer station.

Using the argument above, you could say that the price for Islander reels is almost forcing people to steal them rather than pay for them at the fishing store.

These scumbags should at least have the decency to dump illegally behind a mall or other urban place rather than next to a creek or river  ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2017, 04:21:37 PM »

Good turnout today and thanks to all that turned out and helped make the day a success once again. A short video with Milo as he and others got a lot of garbage and tires out of the Vedder Canal. Thanks Milo for all your hard work. https://youtu.be/MdynZjuCcpc
More pictures on the Fraser Valley Salmon Society FB page with more to post later.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2017, 05:43:30 PM »

Firstlight, I take my folks green waste and crap to the the transfer station, before in my truck and now in my car and even with the recent price hike I don't find it to be prohibitively expensive. I also score very well in the "free" book bins and more than make the trip worth it that way~
It should NEVER enter some ones head when thinking of disposal to think "damn, whats a good private stretch of rd I can toss my pile of mattresses on?"

Also BRAVO to all who worked to make today's Rivers Day clean up and all such events a great well run and fun time. I had fun seeing Chris win a prize, and even won Bent Rods (one of, they donated a few piles of stuff) jigs shirt etc prize. Thanks all

also sad to see so much crap left behind along the river, must have got 4o beer cans, I left them at the collection spot along with a found Canucks hat for you know who~

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2017, 07:00:32 PM »

Good turnout today and thanks to all that turned out and helped make the day a success once again. A short video with Milo as he and others got a lot of garbage and tires out of the Vedder Canal. Thanks Milo for all your hard work. https://youtu.be/MdynZjuCcpc
More pictures on the Fraser Valley Salmon Society FB page with more to post later.
You kidding me Chris? Those other guys put at least double my effort each into the job today! ;D
But hey, at least I showed up and did my bit. As usual, nobody took me up on my offer for a free ride and some fishing after the festivities. Shame that so many people who are active posters here and big time Vedder fishermen don't make the effort to show up at these cleanups from time to time. You know who you are...

All I can say is your loss. After the cleanup, I hit a sweet spot on the river and caught a 34" perfectly chrome RED spring. Good karma after the cleanup!

Thanks to all the organizers, especially you Chris for coordinating our efforts today. And Dave, thsnks for the great job on my rod. Much appreciated. :)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2017, 07:30:25 PM »

You kidding me Chris? Those other guys put at least double my effort each into the job today! ;D
But hey, at least I showed up and did my bit. As usual, nobody took me up on my offer for a free ride and some fishing after the festivities. Shame that so many people who are active posters here and big time Vedder fishermen don't make the effort to show up at these cleanups from time to time. You know who you are...

All I can say is your loss. After the cleanup, I hit a sweet spot on the river and caught a 34" perfectly chrome RED spring. Good karma after the cleanup!

Thanks to all the organizers, especially you Chris for coordinating our efforts today. And Dave, thsnks for the great job on my rod. Much appreciated. :)

Glad you like the rod Milo and it was great to see you again. :)
We had about 245 volunteers out today and they all left feeling good about what they accomplished.  Seeing families and their young kids attend these cleanups and the look on the kids’ faces when they come back with their bags of garbage, is one of my favorite parts of being involved in these events.   I can almost guarantee the kids attending these cleanups will never be like those they cleaned up after.
Like you I was surprised no one from this forum took you up on your offer to drive (and fish).  I remember a few years ago when we had many anglers attending the cleanups, every second guy was in waders .… now, for whatever reason, not so much.