Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Still trying to motor up the Upper Pitt -- inflatable with shallow water drive?  (Read 6817 times)

canuckjgc

I'm determined to buy a rig to get me up the Upper Pitt after my canoe idea was trounced on this forum.  I can get a 16' inflatable with aluminum floor and heavy duty double-layered fabric bottom (not a RIB) with a 25hp 2 stroke with shallow water drive. 

If you've actually motored up the Upper Pitt, could you please comment on this setup?  I don't expect to get to the Hot Springs, but surely I could make it far enough up for some great fishing?  If I bash up an aluminum prop I don't really care -- I'll just bring a few spares. 

I can't afford a jet obviously, or I'd do that.

Eagleye

• Old Timer

I've never been to the Upper Pitt but I have a 14' inflatable with a short shaft 25hp Yamaha with shallow water drive.  I've been up the Harrison and Stave with it and both times I made use of the shallow water drive when traveling in 2ft or so of water or when I'm not sure of depth and worried I'll bang my prop which I've done once already.  The shallow water drive has proved to be a useful feature but at least with my boat (likely due to the height of the transom I would guess) my power is greatly reduced since the propeller sits quite high in the water.  The stability of an inflatable is great and it allows me to go in really shallow water even with the motor all the way down.  But I have no idea what the depth and speed of current is like on the Upper Pitt.  Also I find the 25 is just about right for my boat but at times a 30 would be nice so you may want to consider a larger motor for a 16'.  I've been told that you shouldn't go lower than about 75% of the boats maximum hp rating.  Mine is rated for 30hp but I got a 25 because it is more portable at about 100lbs.  Just a few things to consider.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 01:11:29 PM by Eagleye »

fish2much

• It's all about how you wiggle the worm

park your boat at the dock and bike up the trail.

wagz

• Can"t get enough!!

If you still want to fish up there...
 2 things to consider;
1) If the water is low and clear you will not make it very far. - The river has many splits and side channels, some only inches deep.
2) If the water has color on it, - from snow melt or rain, visibility can be reduced to 6" - 12" If you can't see bottom and hit something... it is a long paddle back to grant narrows!!

Do your self a favour, take a bike with you. You can ride up to 10 mile in no time at all. There are lots of access points on the way up to stop and fish, or, at least get an idea of what the river looks like.

Better yet, take your overnight gear and then you will not feel rushed.

Let us know how you made out!

canuckjgc

Ok if I just take the bike, then am I better off with a 16' Lund WC and a 25 or so outboard rather than an inflatable?  The inflatables look good but the Lund may be more practical (better seating, better ride, etc).  I plan to buy at the boat show.

Inflatable:

Lund:

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:37:58 PM by canuckjgc »

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.

going up is'nt the real problem (unless you hit bottom) coming down is a different story.

Eagleye

• Old Timer

If you are going by yourself you may want to get the Lund as the front end of the inflatable will lift up quite a bit until you get it on plane.  I have only taken my boat out by myself for a short jaunt, I found standing up and riding it like a surfboard helped to push down the bow.  Lots of fun but could be sketchy in rough water. 

Eagleye

• Old Timer

That 16'er looks rather stable, might not lift up as much as mine depending on the motor.  Looks like it could take at least 40hp or so though.  The Transom looks much higher than on my Aquamarine 14'er.  Mine has a dip in the middle and measures about 18.5" if I remember correctly. 

canuckjgc

Yes, it takes a long shaft 40hp and has 22 inch tubes. Seating is always an issue with inflatables though....it has 2 cross benches but no comfy seats

HOOK

• Old Timer

I would be willing to sit in the bow to plane it out for ya  ;D ;D LOL
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

marmot

• Old Timer

What about throwing an outboard on a pontoon boat for the ride up, then putting it on the rack for the drift back?  I know people use outboards on pontoons but I do not know how much power you could put to one before it got a little squirrelly.....I guess you couldn't take your kids anywhere on a pontoon boat.  For the drift back down I cant think of anything safer, thats for sure.

Eagleye

• Old Timer

Yes, it takes a long shaft 40hp and has 22 inch tubes. Seating is always an issue with inflatables though....it has 2 cross benches but no comfy seats

If that is the case you will probably be better served with at least a 30hp engine.  When operating the motor on mine I sit on one of the side tubes.  On the first bench seat I have a fish finder mounted and am still trying to figure out how I can secure 2 downriggers I have to it.  The front bench seat is for one passengers and if I go with 3 people someone sits on the tube on the opposite side of the boat as me or in rough water on the floor.  If you plan on leaving your boat inflated on a trailer you could probably rig up a seating arrangement with a backrest by mounting stuff to the aluminum floor (you may want to ask the manufacturer about this).  There are mounting brackets to hold a cooler in place and back cushioned seats that can be mounted on top.  There are also adjustable bench seats that can be placed anywhere that you can add cushioned seats to like this. http://www.allinflatables.com/shopping/custom/seats.html  But if comfortable seating for all passengers is one of your top priorites the Lund would be better.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:40:43 AM by Eagleye »

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer

canuckjgc-there's some great advice about the bike and as jetboatjim says it's going downsream that's dangerous, hell-on-wheels doesn't begin to describe it.

~~~~~~~~
...On the first bench seat I have a fish finder mounted and am still trying to figure out how I can secure 2 downriggers I have...
The only practical way to attach downriggers is to have them somehow attached to the transom I've seen some great looking custom rigs but they didn't look cheap.

canuckjgc

Thanks, but if I could motor up with the inflatable, would it not be the ideal boat for going downstream?  (See picture above).  Or is it too hairy/fast for even that?

I'm going to drop some big coin, I want the right boat...

canuckjgc-there's some great advice about the bike and as jetboatjim says it's going downsream that's dangerous, hell-on-wheels doesn't begin to describe it.

~~~~~~~~
...On the first bench seat I have a fish finder mounted and am still trying to figure out how I can secure 2 downriggers I have...
The only practical way to attach downriggers is to have them somehow attached to the transom I've seen some great looking custom rigs but they didn't look cheap.

robj

Why don't you buy used and spend a little more for an outboard with a jet drive?  I personally would never buy a new boat.  For one I cannot afford it, but more importantly they depreciate real fast.  Go look on CL Vancouver or even Seattle.  You should be able to find some deals.