Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish?  (Read 2155 times)

SNapz

Squamish?
« on: October 01, 2009, 11:07:43 PM »

Anyone been to Squamish recently and know what the water clarity is like? Any Chum starting to move in yet?

Duffs

Re: Squamish?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:09:50 PM »

Bump.

The Squamish was very coloured today, but didn't really spike from the new rain overnight.  I would say no more than a few inches of viz, but that didn't stop the chum from following flies.  I threw all sorts of things at them and they responded, but best (fly) results came from big , light-coloured fleshy patterns (I was using an egg-sucking version of a pattern I got in Washington that they call the Cop Car - http://www.salmonflies.net/Dickson1.html).  LOTS of fresh fish today, still carrying their little free-loading sea-lice friends.  I played around with nymphing egg patterns in some pool tailouts and got one nice dolly and two rainbows, so that's working too, even in really coloured water.

I did the Cheakamus and the Mamquam in the afternoon/evening.  Nicer weather, better viz, but very few fish.  I only saw one roll on the Cheak.

Oh, and one of the most important things for the Squamish: it was cold up top in the mountains.  Nice layer of fresh snow on the peaks above the river.  Hopefully the river will start to clear a little with some colder temps.

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 01:07:58 PM »

Tried the Squamish yesterday. Visibility next to nothing. The cheakamus wasn't much better with both Culliton and Cheekeye causing lots of problems.

ICA

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 11:25:07 PM »

Fellas

I am planning to go and try out the Squamish next week and since i have never fished at that river, can someone help me by giving me some directions and recommendations as to possibly better spots. Thanks guys and by the way, I find this site very interesting as it is filled with information and there is a lot to learn from so many experienced anglers.

Thanks in advance for any assistance rendered.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 11:50:08 PM »

Google map it, and drive up the road to around 24-32 Mile (marked with signs).  The river is very susceptible to changes from season to season, so last years hot spot it now devoid of fish.  Pack a sandwhich and plan to walk 5km+ in a day.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 06:15:50 AM »

Agreed what Matt said, Hot spots my even be devoid of water it changes so much year to year. It is a system to enjoy the scenery, do alot of walking  and if you put your time in your fish will be there.....eventually ;)
always a student