Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stamp River Anglers - Past, Present & Future...  (Read 1804 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Stamp River Anglers - Past, Present & Future...
« on: January 23, 2007, 10:20:44 PM »

HiYa Folks,

There has been some thought of late as to whether Fishing Forums might be able to help overcome the perception of general apathy (lack of attention, caring) amongst the Angling Community when it comes down to providing input regarding impending management decisions. And yes, that is the current perception alright, not only amongst the varying management authorities in this Provonce, but as well amongst many of us who invest time and energy to try and help make a difference.

To that end, an experiment of sorts is currently being conducted over on FishBC (with apologies to Rod - it was simply easier for me to run with this on the site I do help moderate). The question is whether those that do fish the Stamp, historically, currently, or are planning to, wish to see the current area bait prohibition lifted or remain in place. The survey itself may be of little consequence. BUT it is an opportunity for US, as the angling Community, to indicate whether we believe we can overcome that perception, and whether Fishing Forums in general might be able to help provide a liasion between management authorities seeking input, and the user groups they manage.

There have been more than a handfull from here that have recently enjoyed their experiences on our home river, and I suspect perhaps a few more with thoughts of doing the same shortly. So I felt it important to run this up here, and see if those same folks have sufficient interest in what happens over here to provide comment...

The survey can be found at: http://fishbcforum.com/index.php?showtopic=42334

Again, this is unlikely to have much effect on the current process that MOE is undertaking. BUT it IS an opportunity for US, the angling Community to show that we care enough to provide input towards such decisions, are willing to take five precious minutes out of our hectic lives, and provide input when that is being actively sought.

Hope to be hearing from at least a few of you out there...

Cheers,
Nog

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Stamp River Anglers - Past, Present & Future...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 12:37:24 AM »

Why stop there. With the lack of access to most of the river, you'd think they were stocking it for the Guiding business thats built up in a couple spots around there. I wrote the chamber of commerce in Port Albernie once saying it's a pity the rest of your tourism industry suffers because a few people have prime access to the river with boats, while the rest bushwhack past Dobermens trying to find a spot to fish. Typical in BC, I'd hate to think that someone will get some free trips for the right people, for the wrong reasons, and we all pay to sustain the close to closed down fishery because of access.

As for bait, especially steelhead roe, the guides keep it for the next paying customer. Unless thats changed. Maybe someone who's been out with the guides lately can shed recent light on the last Doe they caught and kept, guided there. Usually they hang onto it.

Fished there awhile and access is getting worse not better. Don't blame the guides(they need there buck) just the lousy management of a fishery with little public access.

My rant again. :(
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

darmin

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 07:51:21 AM »

;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 07:15:03 PM by darmin »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 01:20:38 PM »

I sympathize with your perception TroutBreath. But as one who literally lives on the Stamp through the winter months, I am well aware of many many access points to get to good water. And while that has become more restricted over the past few years, there are a host of very fine locations available for those with the willingness to hike, wade and wander off the beaten track. Much more than you might imagine.

So, lot's of anglers who do come over to fish our home River from here, and many more with the expressed desire to do the same. But it seems none have any thoughts or concerns regarding just how you're allowed to do so when here? Kinda odd IMO, but then again, perhaps simply a reflection of the apathy referred to by management when it comes down to trying to get our attention regarding regulation changes that have the potential to affect our chosen pursuit.  ::)

Just find it kinda strange is all...

Shakin' the ol' noggin yet again...
Nog

allwaysfishin

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 03:08:17 PM »

i did not find the river to have limited access.... as a matter of fact i was surprised to find how short the river actually is (all 3, stamp/sproat/somass) and that most of the stamp CAN be accessed by shore anglers willing to pound some ground. Maybe if you are a person physically limited in thier ability to hike.... yes there is little access but by boat.... BUT there is tonnes of good water that can be accessed without a guide boat.
There are key spots that are surrounded by nothing but private land but this is just the way the ball bounces i'm afraid. MOE and the guides can't do anything about that.

I'll check out the survey Nog.