Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Potential parking problem in Lower Squamish River  (Read 2488 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Potential parking problem in Lower Squamish River
« on: March 19, 2013, 11:23:42 AM »

Valley Fishing Guides has just posted a photo of a gate which has been installed at the entrance of the dyke to the Mamquam Bar on the Lower Squamish River.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=555452641154185&set=a.130796246953162.14141.130137093685744&type=1&theater

How will this impact the parking situation and the surrounding neighbourhood during this summer's pink salmon fishery?

StillAqua

Re: Potential parking problem in Lower Squamish River
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 12:33:26 PM »

The gates are to protect the Skwelwil’em Squamish Estuary Wildlife Management Area. From the 2007 Management Plan:

"Motor vehicles potentially threaten fish and wildlife values within the WMA, especially off-road and all-terrain vehicles. All-terrain vehicles can easily access sensitive habitats and cause extensive damage. For this reason motor vehicles will not be allowed within the WMA."

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 12:59:09 PM »

Thanks. Is there a link to that management plan?

I'm all for protecting riparian and estuary habitat from off-road vehicles. I think my concern is how parking is going to impact the surrounding neighbourhood now that everyone (assuming people are willing to walk the distance) will be parking along the road by the gate and at the other end where residential areas are. It'll be interesting to see this July and August.

StillAqua

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 01:25:29 PM »

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/planning/mgmtplns/skwelwilem_wma/skelwil'em__wma_mp.pdf

I've been packing a cheap mountain bike in the back of my pickup for the last couple years....seem to run into more and more gates and decommissioned logging roads.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 03:16:31 PM »

I have been doing the same with the mountain bike and have found some pretty splendid areas beyond gates.

The report says re mountain bikes: "Not in WMA but allowed on roads and District of Squamish training dyke" so I'm guessing that means they are OK.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 03:24:54 PM »

From the picture, I can't tell where gate is, but if the entire dyke road is closed off, Government Rd will be very conjested during the pink season. Tempers no doubt will flare among unfortunate residents and fisherman.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 09:32:54 AM »

The gates are to protect the Skwelwil’em Squamish Estuary Wildlife Management Area. From the 2007 Management Plan:

"Motor vehicles potentially threaten fish and wildlife values within the WMA, especially off-road and all-terrain vehicles. All-terrain vehicles can easily access sensitive habitats and cause extensive damage. For this reason motor vehicles will not be allowed within the WMA."
Actually the gate is due to a few complaints from locals about dog - vehicle interactions as well as they did not like the dust caused by the vechiles. If it was about vehicles only then there would be no access allowed to the wind / kite boarding area at the end of the spit. That has not happened. Voice your concerns to :
  Squamish Mayor and Council<council@squamish.ca>;
 If all of the vehicles park in residential areas this will cause a big issue as people arriving early in the morning have a tendency to make lots of noise and who wants to wake up to that. Best to nip this in the bud before the season starts otherwise this is going to turn in to a huge mess.