Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice Fishing within 6 hrs or Vancouver?  (Read 3337 times)

NFM

Ice Fishing within 6 hrs or Vancouver?
« on: December 03, 2008, 02:49:23 AM »

Me and a few buddys always go up to the thompson river every yr for the awesome steelhead fishing and have now been informed that there will be no fishing up there this yr. So what now ? its December and theres not much else other then ice fishing ? if I'm correct? Does anyone have any experiences or any knowledge in ice fishing in BC? We would be looking to go up for a weekend , do they have those little cabins on the ice were you can fish/sleep/eat? like home improvement ? or do ppl just sit on the ice with a chair or bucket and sleep in hotel/motel?Were is a good place for new "ice fisherman" to go. We all do lots of fishing but have never done ice fishing. So if anyone has any thoughts or anything that can help that would be great . thanks all ! NFM

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Ice Fishing within 6 hrs or Vancouver?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 06:13:06 AM »

Not sure if its cold enough yet.  If it was my choice, I'd head over to the Stamp for steelies.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 07:47:32 AM »

still a little early but the 100 mile house area is a very active place to start looking at ice fishing lakes. Try phoning Donex Pharmacy (250-395-4004) or Lone Butte sporting goods (250-395-2217) to get a report on current conditions.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 04:18:03 PM »

Here's a site I use for up to date pics on Sheridan. Ice just starting to form in the last few days.

http://www.beddowtree.com/sheridan/lake.htm
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

NFM

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 10:14:57 PM »

Thanks guys for all the info , we are looking into it all and just waiting for the ice to freeze and we sound like we will be making the trip towards 100 mile .Anymore infro from anyone would be great !

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 08:07:33 AM »

hey there NFM.. between princeton and merrit there are a bunch of lakes....  three that are good are link chain and osprey.... nice size trout in all of them....  WATCH OUT IN  ONE LAKE YOU CANT FISH FROM DEC.1st TO APRIL 30TH...fishing is the best in that lake...hence the closeure for ice fishing. BUT FUN NON THE LESS.... HAVE A GOOD TIME ON THE HARD WATER...
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

cohojoe

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 05:26:09 PM »

learn how to judge the thickness and safety of the ice before you bring all your gear out.    some folks even set up a  tent to protect themselves from the wind.   post some photos of your ice fishing adventures.    us guys who do not like the ice want to see fish from the hard water