Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack/Vedder Steelhead Telemetry study  (Read 3373 times)

stsfisher

Chilliwack/Vedder Steelhead Telemetry study
« on: January 09, 2021, 07:06:47 AM »

Is anyone able to find the 1999-2000 Chilliwack/Vedder telemetry study done on steelhead? Seems it has either been moved or taken off the web? I did just find it last week but searches bring up nothing when you click for access today?

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/appsdata/acat/documents/r7003/ChilliwackSteelhead_Nelsonetal2004_1147453320035_f5d6b7c48e5149a085e3a9784657fed0.pdf

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Chilliwack/Vedder Steelhead Telemetry study
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 08:07:42 AM »

Who knows what happened to the government document portal? When that was setup it was supposedly info that belonged to all of us as citizens of British Columbia. Your link had the author and the rough date so I just googled it and :

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/253884743_Behavior_and_Survival_of_Wild_and_Hatchery-Origin_Winter_Steelhead_Spawners_Caught_and_Released_in_a_Recreational_Fishery

your can download the pdf though I think you have to join research gate which is free. Most of the more recent papers you can get from the various fisheries journals but have to pay for a download, otherwise you can settle for the article abstract that gives a thumbnail of the article content.

Abstract:

Behavior and Survival of Wild and Hatchery-Origin Winter Steelhead Spawners Caught and Released in a Recreational Fishery. Nelson/Rosenau/Johnston

North American Journal of Fisheries Management25:931–943, 2005[Article] Copyright by the American Fisheries Society 2005

Mandatory catch and release of wild fish and supplementation with hatchery-reared fish are commonly used to sustain sport fisheries on low-abundance populations of wild steelhead.However,  their  effectiveness  in  limiting  angling  mortality  on  wild  fish  is  uncertain.  We  radio-tagged 226 (125 wild, 101 hatchery) angled adult steelhead Oncorhynchus mykissn ear the mouth of  the  Vedder2Chilliwack  River,  British  Columbia,  in  1999  and  2000  and  monitored their sub-sequent movements to determine survival to spawning and overlap in the distributions of inferred holding sites, spawning sites, and spawning times. The distributions of prespawning holding sites did  not  differ  between  wild  and  hatchery  fish  in  either  year,  but  spawning  locations  differed.Holding and spawning sites used by hatchery fish were restricted to the lower two-thirds of the river, downstream of the hatchery where they were reared but well upstream of their smolt release site.  Wild  fish  spawned  throughout  the  watershed.  Spawning  times  did  not  differ  between wild and hatchery fish, but varied with run timing. The maximum mortality from the initial catch and release  and  radio-tagging  was  1.4%  in  1999  and  5.8%  in  2000;  true  mortality  rates were lower because tag regurgitation was indistinguishable from death. The fishery subsequently killed 2.5%of tagged wild fish and harvested 20% (1999) and 43% (2000) of the hatchery fish. Seventy-two tagged fish were recaptured and released in the sport fishery up to three times without any mortality before  spawning.  Hatchery  fish  were  recaptured  at  twice  the  rate  of  wild  fish.  At  least  92%  of unharvested fish spawned, and 75% of successful spawners survived to emigrate from the water-shed. The incidence of post spawning death did not vary with the frequency of capture and release.Catch-and-release  angling  imposed small costs in terms of survival; however, behavioral differences existed between adult wild fish and the adult F1progeny of wild fish reared to smolt stage in a hatchery.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 08:11:45 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

stsfisher

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 11:08:02 AM »

Who knows what happened to the government document portal? When that was setup it was supposedly info that belonged to all of us as citizens of British Columbia. Your link had the author and the rough date so I just googled it and :

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/253884743_Behavior_and_Survival_of_Wild_and_Hatchery-Origin_Winter_Steelhead_Spawners_Caught_and_Released_in_a_Recreational_Fishery

your can download the pdf though I think you have to join research gate which is free. Most of the more recent papers you can get from the various fisheries journals but have to pay for a download, otherwise you can settle for the article abstract that gives a thumbnail of the article content.

Abstract:

Thanks Ralph, these are the only ones I was able to find as well.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 11:09:59 AM »

Ecological Reports catalog: https://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/acat/public/welcome.do

that was once accessible through the Document portal. Thanks for the assistance Firebird.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

stsfisher

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 02:31:06 PM »

Ecological Reports catalog: https://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/acat/public/welcome.do

that was once accessible through the Document portal. Thanks for the assistance Firebird.
👍

Morty

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 03:48:18 PM »

Is there anyone on this board who has access to the authors of those reports to find out if: tissue/scale samples were taken?  or if any DNA testing was done?
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 04:16:45 PM »

Is there anyone on this board who has access to the authors of those reports to find out if: tissue/scale samples were taken?  or if any DNA testing was done?
There were no samples taken for DNA in that study and I'm not aware of any DNA sampling done for C/V steelhead.  The only sampling of adult steelhead I know of, other than scales, is a small sample of fish analysed for Parvicapsula minibicornis, a parasite affecting Cultus Lake sockeye at the time.  They did not have it.

firebird

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 12:15:08 PM »

I came across this recently and found it interesting in light of current discussions about the regulation change proposals and old studies. I'm also testing whether I can share files from my OneDrive. https://1drv.ms/b/s!AuXiKvW-aydmg5M9sN1qbL6BZEvfRg?e=cmOJeC

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 01:04:38 PM »

I came across this recently and found it interesting in light of current discussions about the regulation change proposals and old studies. I'm also testing whether I can share files from my OneDrive. https://1drv.ms/b/s!AuXiKvW-aydmg5M9sN1qbL6BZEvfRg?e=cmOJeC
It worked. Thanks for the flashback.