Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best size of Jig Head for float fishing?  (Read 5791 times)

Dr. Backlash

Best size of Jig Head for float fishing?
« on: August 07, 2009, 08:44:25 PM »

I'm about to order some jig heads from Ebay and I plan on fishing them under a float in the Vedder and rivers of similar size for Chum, Chinook and Steelhead later on this fall, but I don't know what size to order - 1/4oz or 1/8oz?  What do you think is the best size of jig to use while float fishing?

Thanks in advance!

jeff

Re: Best size of Jig Head for float fishing?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 08:55:37 PM »

I use both sizes, they both work well and it depends on water conditions I use the bigger size when visibility isn't the best and the smeller size when it is running clear.
Enjoying the water..........

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 09:07:17 PM »

buddy, order your jig heads from RVRFSHR.com specialty steelhead tackle. They have the very best quality jig hook (Sickle) which is basically the same hook that Bent Rod has on his jigs. They run approximately $.50 a piece. I use 1/4 oz only, seems to do the trick. I have bought jig hooks on ebay and they are often really crappy quality. The RVRFSHR jigs are money and they ship super fast.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 09:11:19 PM »

I placed an order last year from RVRFSHR last year but it never arrived. After a couple of emails unreplied, I finally gave up and was just glad that it was only a 30 dollars loss.

For jig hooks, I've been getting these ones:

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/catalogue-items/hooks/gamakatsu_604.htm

and I buy solid stainless steel beads for tying onto these hooks.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 10:45:42 PM »

I placed an order last year from RVRFSHR last year but it never arrived. After a couple of emails unreplied, I finally gave up and was just glad that it was only a 30 dollars loss.

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/catalogue-items/hooks/gamakatsu_604.htm

bummer, i've had nothing but great experiences with them, just got an order of jig hooks and ocotpus hooks yesterday, two days shipping.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 12:45:44 AM »

I've also had excellent service with RVRFSHR as well.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 01:09:12 AM »

Yep, obviously I was unlucky. I'm not so bitter about that the package did not arrive, packages are lost in mail from time to time. However, when one chooses to run a business, he should do his best to please every customer because it takes just one bad experience to affect his reputation. I'm simply unpleased that there was no follow-ups to my emails to work out something so both parties would be pleased. I've mailed lures out to members on this forum only to have them lost in the process and I've always mailed another package to ensure they received what they have paid for.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 10:08:05 AM »

So do you mold your own jigs onto these hooks Rodney?  I like the fact that Luremaking.com is a Canadian company

Thanks for all the replies (and for the PM YakiDeath)!  I think I will just order both 1/4oz and 1/8oz jigs for different types of water to fish.  The wife just bought me a book on how to make my own jigs - so eventually I'm going to try to make my own (molding the lead jig head onto the hooks etc.) but since I'm a beginner I'd rather start by ordering the jigs already molded onto the hook and painted

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 11:27:17 AM »

So do you mold your own jigs onto these hooks Rodney?  I like the fact that Luremaking.com is a Canadian company

Thanks for all the replies (and for the PM YakiDeath)!  I think I will just order both 1/4oz and 1/8oz jigs for different types of water to fish.  The wife just bought me a book on how to make my own jigs - so eventually I'm going to try to make my own (molding the lead jig head onto the hooks etc.) but since I'm a beginner I'd rather start by ordering the jigs already molded onto the hook and painted

I'm telling you buddy, the rvrfshr jigs are definitely the best for quality and price and they are already poured so you don't have to mess around with molten lead. I leave my jigs unpainted, but there are an infinite assortment of colors that you can paint them. Just a side note as well on the tied jigs on ebay, most of them will not stand up to salmon/steehead, the hooks are very bendable, and cheap quality. At least RVRFSHR is a Northwest company (Oregon I think). Good luck, its really fun getting a fish on a  jig that you tied yourself.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 09:38:35 PM »

Here's a decent website I've come across www.jannsnetcraft.com that has really competitive prices and lots of stuff for lure making

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 07:51:29 AM »

I would by them directly from Rod in Chilliwack if you live in the area I am sure he would meet you somewhere.

http://www.bentrods.ca/jig-hooks-and-components.htm

Good luck

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 10:31:49 AM »

The biggest thing about Jig hooks is that 90 % of them for sale are meant to be fished for small pan fish and have thin wire hooks that will bend at the site of Salmon or Steel.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 10:37:27 AM »

I have landed huge Chums on those jigs from Rod the sickle hooks are the best ;D

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 10:37:44 AM »

Rod sells great hooks, if you can get your hands on decent gammies or owners in bulk you'd be set aswell.

I like 1/4 oz lead heads, or 3/8" bead heads. You can get away with an 11/32" bead head. tied on 1/0 hooks.
Fish killer 101

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 01:20:30 PM »

i just finished reading about bead head jigs and how you attach them to the hook - very cool stuff!  much better than lead style jigs I think (lead is no good for humans, fish, water etc.)...I've heard that Bent Rod makes the best jigs and I will definitely check his website out - thanks!