Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Timing of the tides  (Read 6162 times)

ICA

Timing of the tides
« on: November 06, 2012, 01:28:53 PM »

Fellas,
I am sure that this question has been asked time and again before, so please bear with me for asking because I would like to be able to fish more efficiently. Can someone tell me how to time the tide based on Vancouver's tide to three areas: (a)Lower Arm of the Fraser tidal portion; (b)Vedder/Chilliwack system and (c) Harrison River and its tributaries.

I realize that it will not be an exact science, but at least a close enough method to determine the timing. Thanks in advance!

It has been my experience that many of you fellas who are very well versed in fishing these systems are also very helpful and willing to share information and techniques which has greatly improved my odds and experiences on the river. It is commendable and I sincerely urge you guys to teach those of us who are less experienced but willing to learn the right way to make the whole sport a memorable experience every time we are out. I was out yesterday and have to say that it was easily one of the best days I have had on the river; I had the privilege of meeting a gentleman who was more than happy to share his knowledge on how to fish this system, explaining in detail the finer art of fishing the Vedder/Chilliwack where he has been tracking for the past twenty odd years. It certainly made my day, apart from the fact that fishing was also very good, most of which were released carefully and unharmed. So to those of you who took time to help others thanks again!

alan701

Re: Timing of the tides
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 03:16:09 PM »

I tried understanding the tide thing recently as well. So basically what people do is read the tide at point atkinson and add 4 hours for it to reach mission bridge. For the current tide I find reading the water level better since it's real-time. The water level in the Fraser rises and then drops according to the tide. http://www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/graph/graph_e.html?stn=08MH024

ICA

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 04:13:56 PM »

Thanks Alan701! Much appreciated.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 04:44:18 PM »

Once you have the graph for your area I like to switch it to tabular data
shows the level every 5 minutes so you can see exactly what happened the day before, usually goes ahead 30 minutes or so every day.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 05:40:55 PM »

I use the tide tables for New Westminster (http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/nwm), so you are about an hour for it to reach the Pitt, another hour so to reach the Stave/Mission Bridge and little more than 3 hours or so to reach the Chilliwack/Harrison.  So an 11:30 High tide at New Westminster on November 5th, was registered at about 1:30-2pm at the Mission Bridge according to the Hydrometric station (http://www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/graph/graph_e.html?stn=08MH024&prm1=3&prm2=-1&mode=graph&smo=11&sday=4&syr=2012&emo=11&eday=8&eyr=2012&y1min=&y1max=&y2min=&y2max=).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 06:00:56 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

ICA

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 06:37:07 AM »

Fellas, many thanks for the kind assistance which is more than I expected. Now I can get to work on the tide table and as I said, fish more efficiently in the future.

Tight lines and stay safe at all times!

crazypop

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 04:18:59 PM »

THats interesting, I can time my day now! Thanks for the thread!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 07:27:06 AM »

So which tide are you going to hit? Incoming? High slack? Outgoing? Low Tide? Now that is the question. Most of my fish taken this year has been on the outgoing. One thing I have learned from fishing in the tidal portion of the Fraser is you just never know for sure which tide is going to be the right tide. So now I look at the tides before going out so I know what tide I can expect BUT I now dont rely on them for when I think its the right tide for a push of fish. I just fish when I can.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

whereismyfloat

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 08:28:34 AM »