Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sockeye flies  (Read 11874 times)

mikeH

sockeye flies
« on: August 09, 2010, 03:14:43 PM »

I'm curious what flies have been productive I plan to target them on the Fraser near Chilliwack.using a 9wt sage.

BBarley

Re: sockeye flies
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 03:26:15 PM »

The fly is tie up for sockeye uses a simple small chartreuse rabbit fur tail, only extend the tail beyond the end of the hook by one hook gap in length. Then use some sparse hot pink crystal chenille to wrap the hook up to the eye, tie off and done.

I find the Mustad R90 size 4 hook to be perfect for sockeye. 

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »

It doesn't matters what you use for a fly....these fish won't be hitting it so the colour is moot..  Sockeye need to be flossedon coloured water like the Fraser.  Just make sure it's a good strong hook like the one suggested above.  The most important thing is getting down to the fish so be prepared to have several tips that can get you down.  I've seen guys on the Skeena and Kitamat Rivers even put a couple  of large split shot on their leaders to bottom bounce the run as seen on SPOTF.  Hopefully the rocks aren't the type that can damage your flyline.  River speed should be about the same as walking speed. 

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 07:06:57 PM »

Hey guy's,

Which bars are more suited to the Fly?  ???

Want to find a little space to cast a fly line without giving a gear fisher a new furrey ear ring!  ;D

Thanks!
Try the fly!

BBarley

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 12:45:47 AM »

Hey guy's,

Which bars are more suited to the Fly?  ???

Want to find a little space to cast a fly line without giving a gear fisher a new furrey ear ring!  ;D

Thanks!

You and me both. I also want to try and find some decent water to use the spey rod, as I will not use my gear rod for sockeye......no fun for me.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 01:19:46 AM »

good luck with that guys. Most likely need a boat to be able to get enough space to yourself for a spey especially. I would also love to get out there with the spey rod and get some on the fly.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 05:25:59 AM »

The speed of water is key.  If you were to throw a piece of wood out into the area you were to fish it should move at walking speed....any faster and it's tough to get down to them.  You've got to remember...these fish won't move to your fly...AT ALL!  Be prepared to have your tips hitting the rocks until you find the right weight.  Obviously better to use built up tips of different length out of T14, etc. as opposed to premade 15' Rio tips that cost about $20 each.

I imagine if you could get yourself out on to Peg Leg you could find lots of room.  From what I've heard it won't be crowded since no one can access it unless you boat over across the channel.

BBarley

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 06:02:10 AM »

A 18 foot section of T-14 was ticking bottom for me the other day, unfortunately I wasn't able to get my line out to where the sockeye were at the location I was at. Typically sockeye travel close to shore but not at this spot.

I'm hoping some solid hiking will pay off with at least a little bit of room to do some fly casting.

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 07:57:11 PM »

Such a shame the authorities dont make a 'fly fishing only' spot!  :(

Here you with the water speed but with my Teeny T-500 sink tip this is lower down the scale than simply finding somewhere to cast!

Do we go - do we not????  ???
Try the fly!

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 11:36:56 AM »

It doesn't matters what you use for a fly....these fish won't be hitting it so the colour is moot..  Sockeye need to be flossedon coloured water like the Fraser.  Just make sure it's a good strong hook like the one suggested above.  The most important thing is getting down to the fish so be prepared to have several tips that can get you down.  I've seen guys on the Skeena and Kitamat Rivers even put a couple  of large split shot on their leaders to bottom bounce the run as seen on SPOTF.  Hopefully the rocks aren't the type that can damage your flyline.  River speed should be about the same as walking speed. 

Socks don't need to be flossed as they will bite a fly and a drifted piece of wool.
I've fly caught them on the clearer waters of the Vedder and also as incidental catch fishing for Summer  Vedder springs. Have witnessed the same by other anglers. Have also fly c&r them and pinks on the Fraser in Sept. last year when the water has receded and is much clearer on wool flies of chartreuse,hot pink and any other bright presentation.  Tips used ranged from type 6-8 and t-14 dependent on the speed of water fished.
It ain't the roe bro'

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 04:05:48 PM »

Socks don't need to be flossed as they will bite a fly and a drifted piece of wool.
I've fly caught them on the clearer waters of the Vedder and also as incidental catch fishing for Summer  Vedder springs. Have witnessed the same by other anglers. Have also fly c&r them and pinks on the Fraser in Sept. last year when the water has receded and is much clearer on wool flies of chartreuse,hot pink and any other bright presentation.  Tips used ranged from type 6-8 and t-14 dependent on the speed of water fished.

Socks will not take a fly on the Upper Fraser. To catch them with success on that part of the river you need to floss them. They can be caught without being flossed on the Harrison quite easily. I have not fished for them in a few years on the Harrison but when I did I was quite successful.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Gilbert05

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 04:18:14 PM »

Can sockeye be retained on the Harrison

lovetofish

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 05:04:24 PM »

Can sockeye be retained on the Harrison
Only below the highway bridge.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 08:00:15 PM »

If socks don't bite on the upper fraser then why ?????? do guides take clients to fly fish for them and then take pictures of their catch with the fly squarely in the corner of the mouth and publish the pic on their
brochures ?  I  don't believe that guiding outfits are being dis-genuine.  Believe it socks do bite a fly in the upper fraser. Socks travel close to shore in slower shallow clearer water when they aren't harassed by predators / flossers. Socks have very good eye sight ,hence their trademark large eyes, and can see and will take a presented fly in water that seems to us as liimiited visibility.
It ain't the roe bro'

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 01:10:33 PM »

I have caught them on the fly in the Thompson and the Fraser by Lillooet.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"