Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: some spey questions  (Read 3759 times)

boscheefish

some spey questions
« on: September 06, 2008, 11:08:30 PM »

ok im pretty new at this spey thing, got a nice little 7 weight with a skagit and sink tips....... what im wondering is, with the skagit line, how do you replace the weight of the sink tips if i want to fish a dry fly, what is the norm? or personal prefence. or do i have to get a different set up for dry flies/and the spey?
long live the vedder

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
Re: some spey questions
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 08:13:02 AM »

although you can use a floating tip on the end of the skagit it doesn't roll out as pretty as a straight out dry line does. Depending on you line length preference a line like the Airflow delta can be nice and easy to toss. Really it's just preference, but keep in mind how far do you want to cast, how much line do you want to strip, and what size flies are you going to be chucking.

boscheefish

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 11:17:15 AM »

well, the tight budget says i can only have one line for the time being so skagit it is,

so do i have to get those cheaters for the dry section, or do i have to make a chunk of floating line
long live the vedder

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 11:58:47 AM »

The strength of the skagit line is that it can throw the sinktips and heavy flies with ease. However, as you heard with an earlier reply to your post you may have to do some experimenting to get the right length of floating line to work with your skagit fly line. If it were me, I would take the line and rod into a shop like M &Y, or Reaction Fly and Tackle and see what the fellas can do for ya. Their hints and tips will save you plenty of time and grief,  which is invaluable especially for those of us who are getting into spey castiing.

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 04:15:40 PM »

Heading into one of the shops mentioned is a great idea, but if you can't you can definately take the tip end of a heavier wt floating line and use it for a floating tip. Staying with the same 15ft length would probably be best if that length is working for you rod, so try and dig up a 9-11wt old single hand line and wack off the tip. You can make your own loop at the back usnig a variety of methods but a braided loop is probably the easiest.

J.G.

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 04:33:57 PM »

Cheaters are for lengthining your head so your head fits in the 3-3.5X the length of your rod Skagit parameters.
Rio sells 15' floating tips for Skagit Lines. Match the weight of your tip....ex.....600grain. to the floating tip you are buying. ex....600-650grain. Better yet, take the weight of the tip that you are best at casting, then weigh the tip you are going to buy and make sure it's close. I find that a slightly heavier floating tip is easier to cast when using skagit lines. You don't have the luxury of your anchor sinking in the water to load your rod for you, so the heavier tip seems to help load the rod.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 04:37:49 PM by J.G. »

boscheefish

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 10:55:24 PM »

i like the idea of upgrading the size of the floating tip for a little heavier than required, have you tried it?
long live the vedder

J.G.

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 04:31:23 PM »

i like the idea of upgrading the size of the floating tip for a little heavier than required, have you tried it?

It's not heavier than required. It's whats required to make it work.

The skagit line I use most with the floating tip weighs 650grns. The floating tip I use weighs about 160grns. ( Rio's 600-650grn. skagit floating tip )

This loads my rod perfectly. It will change with different rods and casters.

If you don't have a scale, take the sink-tip you cast the best into a Fly Shop and have them weigh it. Then weigh the floating tips until you find one that works.

boscheefish

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 05:37:33 PM »

sounds like a solid plan, i will try, thanks again
long live the vedder

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 08:55:42 PM »

if you go into pacific angler and talk with jason  he will be able to set you up. he knows a ton about spey fishing
girls suck throw rocks at them!