Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye fly fishing  (Read 6527 times)

cut plug

Sockeye fly fishing
« on: June 10, 2007, 02:41:38 PM »

Hello, I am new to this forum. Does anyone know where and how to flyfish for sockeye in the Fraser? Also what kind of flies work? Thanks ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Sockeye fly fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 02:50:14 PM »

In the fraser you would just be flossing them. So if you want to floss them the fly is not important.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Mike D.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 02:54:25 PM »

Fly Flossing on the fraser is reely quite simple....you just need a 12-15 foot leader, gotta find a nice bar with a walking speed current, mainstream of pegleg before it diverts into the minto channel is a good place....make sure your fly is ticking the bottom time to time as its going down the rive, a sink tip or full sinking line is a must!

Mike <"))))><

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 03:19:06 PM »

Edit: Nevermind, who cares anyway. :-*

Mike D.

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 05:31:16 PM »

If you want to get sockeye to bite on the fly...try the harrison using the fly's rod mentioned, and other sockeye fly's...I have a decent one that looks funny but works like a damn...spectacular fishery! they nail the flys preety hard too!

Doesn't get any better when you can catch a sockeye, pink, coho, chum and chinook on the fly all on the same day does it?
Not that its happend to me before but it is achievable!

Mike <"))))><

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 07:20:29 PM »

The Fraser is a tuff call, and all the combat anglers make it worse. If you want to catch a Soc there I recomend C & R before and after retention is allowed. Other wise I recomend the Thompson. I did okay on then last Sept on the Thom with pink & lime green patterns. Nice to spend and afternoon wading wet in your shorts, catching some 30 degree rays, while fly casting for Socs. Again pressentation is the key; I found you can expect to land an average of three an hour once you have dialled them in. I also found the fight to be very much like that of a Steelhead on my 6wt.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

cut plug

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 12:27:51 AM »

Thanks for the info ;D

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 03:35:22 PM »

In the fraser you would just be flossing them. So if you want to floss them the fly is not important.
I disagree. A heavily weighted fly with a large gap is essential.  ;D

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 04:47:17 AM »

Newman, I have to dis-agree with your post. Telling anyone to target salmon outside of the opening dates especially sockeye isn't the best idea. Since last year and now currently there is a request not to use methods to catch sockeye as there was once they closed retntion last year, targeting them anyhow is not responsible angling. Also almost all the socks that would be caught on the fly in the Fraser, are flossed. It would be a better use of ones time learning to target the other species that can be properly caught, not snagged.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 06:04:49 PM »

Okay point made. I have not fished for Sockey in the lower fraser in four years; can't stand the croud. I fly cast for them at Lillooet on the fraser and at various places in the Thompson. I agree don't fish for anything when fisheries has closed them; in the passed the regs read no retention not no fishing. My mistake. As for your stance that you can't catch a Sock on a fly without snagging, GO BACK TO SCHOOL!
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 11:21:17 PM »

Newsman,

Since you've already told me to go back to school, thanks. Could you first read my post and show me where I have made that statement. I know very well when Sockeye will and won't bite and what the odds are of getting one to in the Fraser. Please feel free to email me if you would like to discuss it further.