Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bait for Reds  (Read 6214 times)

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: Bait for Reds
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 11:47:12 AM »

full bodied roe, when u use straight natural its transparent, if died a natural orange colour then i has body, might be just a confidence booster but i like my roe like that.
Fish killer 101

JL

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 10:16:15 AM »

Big chunks of roe...I prefer mine dyed as red as possible

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 09:34:08 PM »

Just to clarify, are we talking about red springs?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 11:21:25 PM »

Just to clarify, are we talking about red springs?

Yes

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 05:34:51 PM »

hey all well im new to the lower fraser let me say the whole fraser. I went to  brownsville last saturday and yesterday and well i was using roe and well it was all soft and mushy.. wouldnt say on for long... what do i gotta do to keep it on that hook...  cand were can i get some good roe..  and the tides... i get there and the tide is quite high ..  i go again and it low.. im lost when is it good and how do i know  well any tips that will help me hook in to one of these  hight talked  about prize would help   thanks all take it easy... Joe
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 05:36:29 PM »

Try tying your roe into roe bags if it's mushy. You can buy some decent roe from Berry's

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 07:23:16 PM »

I've also used a little bit of spider line (I think its called that), you just wrap it around your roe a few times and it helps secure it if your bait loop is not working too well.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 10:34:05 PM »

You can get good pro-cured roe at Fred's Tackle. Stays on your hook very good. If you pro-cure of borax your roe and freeze it for a while it stays on the hook way better because it gets tougher.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 11:23:30 PM »

hey all jsut got home went to this small river here in langley tossed around a  hook with a worm.. got many small rainbows cuple those pesky bullheads.. none the less had a good time... yeah i was useing the egg loop got some leaders with the knot already tied... i gotta learn how myself.. yeah i need more information on this subject... i went out today and got more gear..  i am thinking of going tomorrow afternoon..  for abit... but yeah were is berrys? and  well when is the prime time for  fishing...  well thanks alot for the tips
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 11:37:05 PM »

If you are coming out to the Vedder, just hit Freds to pick up the roe since it's right on the river. There is no prime time for fishing, they turn on and off constantly but I have found best time to fish for the Reds has been as soon as the sun gets off the water till you can't see your float anymore. If you are just starting out for salmon, you may not want to start with Red Springs, these fish can get extremely frustrating. I would start out with White Springs in late Septemeber/early October. I would say in order from easiest salmon to catch to hardest would be pinks being easiest, whites after that, chum after that, then coho, sockeye, then Red Springs, and last but not least, the fish of a 1000 casts the Steelhead.

If you get really bored you can always catch some smolts... some of them can get quite big in the Vedder (ones left over from last year that residualized). Best way to catch them and have fun is on a light fly rod (6 wt or less) and a dry fly. Trout rods with worms or shrimp work well too. Those pesky little buggers are always hitting my prawns and roe when fishing for Springs.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 12:26:27 AM »

hey all jsut got home went to this small river here in langley tossed around a  hook with a worm.. got many small rainbows cuple those pesky bullheads.. none the less had a good time... yeah i was useing the egg loop got some leaders with the knot already tied... i gotta learn how myself.. yeah i need more information on this subject... i went out today and got more gear..  i am thinking of going tomorrow afternoon..  for abit... but yeah were is berrys? and  well when is the prime time for  fishing...  well thanks alot for the tips

Westminster Hwy in Richmond

http://www.berrysbait.com/