Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The HST vote - making a decision  (Read 125042 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: The HST vote - making a decision
« Reply #285 on: July 07, 2011, 06:00:12 PM »

Chris - How can you compare what the local city mayors relunctantly (???) did in order to raise monies for a very long overdue public transit extention (albeit - they could have selected a less expensive model) with that of the reduction proposal.  This is something Bill or Chris D would say...  :o

Sidebar - I'm NOT in favor of the 2 cents gas tax increase.  I would like to see the public transit user bear some of the costs - but that would raise yet another can of worms - perchance a future debate  :D
A number of these mayors are just Liberal backers.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #286 on: July 07, 2011, 07:05:22 PM »

This article says "every sector of the B.C. economy" supports the HST...   Apparently the sector that Novabonker operates in, isn't part of the BC economy.  ;D  ;D

Yes AF - It's really funny when a business struggles and the family has to live within an eroding income too.Highly amusing (for a psychotic personality).Now that's just plain low.Do you feel good about cheap shots like that? Does it make you feel like a hero when a man puts years of his life into building a business and then has troubles that weren't of his own making? So you can spit on him? Does it make you feel more secure in your manhood?  How gutless and pathetic.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:12:28 PM by Novabonker »
http://

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #287 on: July 07, 2011, 07:17:26 PM »

Yes AF - It's really funny when a business struggles and the family has a hard time too.Highly amusing (for a psychotic personality).Now that's a shot below even the lowest levels.Do you feel good about cheap shots like that? How gutless and pathetic.

Are you sure you read what I posted?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #288 on: July 07, 2011, 07:37:18 PM »

Are you sure you read what I posted?

Yes I did and found the comment disgusting and very classless. Low.Cheap shot. Below the belt. Not funny, just tasteless and lacking anything but a low class barb.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #289 on: July 07, 2011, 09:02:21 PM »

Yes I did and found the comment disgusting and very classless. Low.Cheap shot. Below the belt. Not funny, just tasteless and lacking anything but a low class barb.

Quite honestly I did not interpret that the same way.

J
- John A.

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #290 on: July 08, 2011, 06:59:58 AM »

Me thinks there is more that meets the eye with NB's initial comments.  Just because each sector 'supports' the HST - does not mean that everyone benefits from it.

=================

But as a possibly humorous side bar - in second of the FightFightHST videos, Bill was asking "has anyone seem lower prices?" - I can state YES I HAVE! - on the drive to work today I spotted a restaurant sign stating 'Lower Lunch Menu Prices!'.  Chris - could you mention this to Bill for me?
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #291 on: July 08, 2011, 07:42:55 AM »

I've previously stated, and quite clearly, that my business is off well over 20% since the introduction of the HST. I've made investments of many thousands in equipment and tools, only to be faced with a steep drop in business. I've lost a helper whom I've spent many hours and dollars in training, no expansion. AF was quite aware of this when he decided it was funny to spit out that sputum at me. Very crass, cowardly and a sad commentary on ones character when they choose to hide behind internet anonymity and slash at another man's business. I was initially angry, but now I just feel sorry that people like that have any form of influence over others.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #292 on: July 08, 2011, 08:36:16 AM »

Reminded me of a little story I heard years ago.....   :)  I modified it a little, so my apologies to the original writer.

During these days of continually being bombarded by doom and gloom about the HST, it might be a good time to re-visit the story of the Hot Dog Vendor...

A Man lived by the side of the road...and sold hot dogs. He was hard of hearing, so he had no radio. He had trouble with his eyes, so he had no newspaper. But he sold good hot dogs. He put up a sign on the highway, telling how good they were. He stood by the side of the road and cried, "Buy a hot dog, mister!" And People bought. He increased his meat and bun order, and he bought a bigger stove to take care of his trade. He got his son home from college to help him.

But then something happened. His son said, "Father, haven't you been listening to the radio? The new HST tax is killing the economy.  Restaurant sales are down, the service industries sales are down and Vanderzalm says it's the end of BC as we've known it."

Whereupon the father thought, "Well, my son has gone to college. He listens to the radio and reads the newspaper, so he ought to know." So, the father cut down on the bun order, took down his advertising sign, and no longer bothered to stand on the highway to sell hot dogs.

His hot dog sales fell almost overnight. "You were right, son", the father said to the boy. "The HST is killing the economy."

Moral of the story --

Stop reading the newspaper, turn off the news on the radio and television, and KEEP SELLING!

http://www.wisdomgroup.com/blog/the_man_who_sold_hot_dogs/
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #293 on: July 08, 2011, 09:56:22 AM »

hot dogs are not that good for you
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #294 on: July 08, 2011, 10:07:31 AM »

hot dogs are not that good for you
;D  ;D

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #295 on: July 08, 2011, 10:39:58 AM »

I am very much interested in the results of this HST vote...either way, I'll keep on truckin' but it's kind of interesting nonetheless...

J
- John A.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #296 on: July 08, 2011, 11:53:43 AM »

I've previously stated, and quite clearly, that my business is off well over 20% since the introduction of the HST. I've made investments of many thousands in equipment and tools, only to be faced with a steep drop in business. I've lost a helper whom I've spent many hours and dollars in training, no expansion. AF was quite aware of this when he decided it was funny to spit out that sputum at me. Very crass, cowardly and a sad commentary on ones character when they choose to hide behind internet anonymity and slash at another man's business. I was initially angry, but now I just feel sorry that people like that have any form of influence over others.

I am sorry to hear about your drop in business Nova but blaming it on a tax is hard for me to believe.
there could be other factors in play I am sure you could contribute a very small decrees to the tax shift but I am certain there will be other factors if you look hard enough.

Find a new way to promote your business and try and improve your customer facing attitude and I am sure you will find something to smile about
gloom and doom gets old and customers like to buy from happy people not victims of the economy.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #297 on: July 08, 2011, 05:31:43 PM »

I am sorry to hear about your drop in business Nova but blaming it on a tax is hard for me to believe.
there could be other factors in play I am sure you could contribute a very small decrees to the tax shift but I am certain there will be other factors if you look hard enough.

Find a new way to promote your business and try and improve your customer facing attitude and I am sure you will find something to smile about
gloom and doom gets old and customers like to buy from happy people not victims of the economy.
I just got a call from a friend of mine that has 3 restaurants in the Fraser Valley as he wanted to discuss the HST. He says business is down 20% at his 3 restaurants since the HST first came in.

Does one need any further examples of how the HST has effected many of us?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #298 on: July 08, 2011, 06:55:44 PM »

I'm sure there are some businesses that have been affected by the HST. However the majority of businesses have seen the positive effects of the HST. Under PST the vast majority of BC businesses were being hurt.

Tax policies always effect some more than others...  So, do you implement tax policy that helps the majority, or do you do it to help the minority?

In general the restaurant industry is pleased with the HST as indicated below. I am sure along with the HST, the higher minimum wage and the tougher drinking laws have affected the restaurant industry.

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Several sectors in the tourism industry have rallied in support of the HST, and it appears any doubts about the new tax regime that may have existed months ago have disappeared.

A couple of years ago, there were predictions the HST would have a devastating impact on tourism. Now, Steven Regan, President and CEO of the Tourism Industry Association of BC, says they never asked for the tax to be scrapped.

"The impacts have been positive in some cases, they've been challenging in others. We came to the conclusion when the Minister of Finance announced the two per cent reduction for consumers, that that was the tipping point."

Mark Reid with Ceili's Restaurant and Pub in Vancouver says the restaurant industry has seen some challenges lately, like the increased minimum wage and higher liquor costs, but "if we were to go back to the old way of taxing with the twelve per cent, we lose our margins, and it's people's jobs and expansion for our company that would be compromised."

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #299 on: July 09, 2011, 12:23:47 AM »

I just got a call from a friend of mine that has 3 restaurants in the Fraser Valley as he wanted to discuss the HST. He says business is down 20% at his 3 restaurants since the HST first came in.

Does one need any further examples of how the HST has effected many of us?

I think, if'n I remember correctly, that we can expect a rise that roughly corresponds to the approximate loss in business over time?  Wouldn't society..."normalize"

John
- John A.