Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shore Fishing from CUBA beaches  (Read 81955 times)

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: Shore Fishing from CUBA beaches
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »

Well, I only got a chance to wet a line for about 45 minutes which was unsuccessful.  Our trip was all too whirlwind. 

Cuba certainly is interesting.

The south is RUSTIC.  lol

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2012, 06:34:37 PM »

The south is RUSTIC.  lol

You were warned.
Hopefully, you got to appreciate the beauty of the land and the wholesomeness of the people.

Did you get to snorkel in the Cueva de los Peces?
What was the fate of the Blackberries?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2012, 06:51:11 PM »

I knew it was rustic.  We stayed at the Playa Larga hotel for one night.  It was fun hanging with locals in the bar there watching Cuban baseball.  You think Canadians are passionate about hockey, they are about 15 games into an 87 game season and they are bouncing off the walls, yelling, screaming debating and hanging on every pitch, it is nuts.

We did get to appreciate the beauty of the land.  We rented our our car and made the VERY interesting journey from Havana to Playa Large and further to Giron.  The 'potholes' on the Autopista look like exploded land mines.  But our car survied, a white Geely Emgrand was our ride.  It didn't have a straight panel on it, despite having only 27,000 kms on the odo, lol.  The think looked like it spent 20 years navigating parking lots at Metrotown.

The wholesomeness of the people, I can appreciate that.  They are great.  At the same time, at 50% of our interactions, we were scammed, or a scam was attempted on us.  We are friendly, happy go lucky travellers.  The people were warm in return, but with a clear alterior motive.  Take a couple dollars off of the "Yumas".  It was very frustrating, and extremely tiresome.

We did hit the Cueva de lost Peces.  Too bad it smelled like sewage.  We still went in.  Didn't matter, because when we showered later at the Playa Larga hotel, the water smelled the same there.  Lol.

The Blackberries, well, we forgot to the bring them.  Only one made it into our luggage and our Havana guide on the first day essentially begged us for it.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 06:53:42 PM by Damien »

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2020, 11:07:55 AM »

BUMP!!!  Heading back go Cuba in March.

I will be staying in Cayo Santa Maria this time.  Going to be packing some gear to use and some to give away. Hoping to go on a 'specialized' trip for Tarpon and/or Permit.

And will try trolling off a hobie cat and/or kayak.  Life is a bit different since the last time I went, 5 year old and 1 year old in tow.  So escaping for fishing time will be tough, but looking forward to wetting a line when I can!