Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oiling my Abu  (Read 1969 times)

kindalonismo

Oiling my Abu
« on: January 12, 2012, 10:05:36 PM »

Hey guys, I recently oiled and cleaned my Abu 6500 and my first trip out on New Years Eve the weather was cold and the reel wouldn't spool like normal. Has anyone else ever encountered this?  It was a cold morning and after a few long casts it seemed to free itself up and work much better for short and long casts (almost lie it warmed up?) Is the oil too heavy for the cold weather?  I am using the Abu Silicote Reel Oil.

R

awurban@msn.com

Re: Oiling my Abu
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 10:16:59 PM »

hey man, when ever you oil bearings and use a little bit too much this happens. Lubricants are meant to be used lightly if you use a bit too much it actually slows the bearings, or parts down a bit, even though the oil is a lubricant, if there is excess it has friction. You can take the reel apart and use a towel to dry it up a bit or just use it a couple more times and the extra oil will probably seep out. Also when oil heats up the viscosity of it decreases, so as it gets a bit warmer it does thin out. Synthetic lubricants are not really effected by cold weather so its probably just a bit too much oil. 

kindalonismo

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:32:06 AM »

Thanks a lot for the information!  Really appreciate it!

deepcovehooker

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 09:25:12 AM »

In cold weather use gun oil as it is lighter than reel oil and will not gunk up in cold windy weather.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:50:03 AM »

Yup, awurban is bang on. Keep that oil at a minimum every time.
Lube often, but lube sparingly.

A tiny drop of oil into the worm gear assembly is all you need from time to time between services.

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 11:19:22 PM »

Just a quick reply about the gun oil. I use CLP gun oil on rifles and hand guns and its the same deal too much oil same problem especially in the cold weather. Any synthetic oil has a good range for heat and cold its just dont use too much.

kindalonismo

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 11:57:28 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys, gonna have to do a little service before Sunday.  Looks like it is going to be cold!

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 12:00:22 PM »

x2 what Milo said.Worm gears are the only part that needs it between service.Oil on drag washers can be bad.I always wpe the worm with a cloth before I apply oil.This removes the excess and any dirt it may have picked up.A freiend of mine who is a gunsmith and centre pin builder recommended air tool oil years ago because it leaves no waxy residue.Also tre cheap.
Riverman

kindalonismo

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 11:54:09 PM »

This is exactly why I love this site!  Always great feedback and information! Thanks again