Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly Fishing in Merritt?  (Read 5578 times)

luckygirl

Fly Fishing in Merritt?
« on: June 21, 2006, 01:45:31 PM »

Anyone have some news on how the fishing is in the Merritt area? What is landing them?

Cheers

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
Re: Fly Fishing in Merritt?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 10:07:09 PM »

You may want to scale down your query a bit by asking about lakes in certain areas?  "Merritt" can encompass a farily large area and as you may know, has hundreds of lakes in the area.  Also what type of fishing do you do?

I was in the Lac Le Jeune area on the weekend, and fishing was decent at best for me.  However, I am a newbie on interior lakes and the weather was rather unsettled (thats my excuse).

The weather looks to be stable and warm this weekend, so fishing should be good with lots of hatches going on, I think.

Shane

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 10:59:55 PM »

All the fishing has been bad on all of the hundred or so lakes in the Merritt area!  Probably best to stay in the lower mainland and cut your grass or fight the traffic.  I think the music fest has ruined the fishing! Too much noise and far too many people. The fish are shy! ;)

luckygirl

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 09:05:00 AM »

Too funny Bigguy..... I have only been to that event once years ago.... fish should be afraid...... the whole environment gets trashed.

I also think I will stick to my plan to go fishing, and buy a goat to take care of the yard.

I still haven't made up my mind which lake or what type of fishing I am going to do. I heard some friends where going to Nicola Lake, but I think I might try something else, and drag the boat and the belly and pack a few options.

McWhackit

• fishing is life, all else is details.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 05:43:25 AM »

Nicola lake is fishing well for rainbows and kokanee but is large and can get very lumpy when the wind blows. If you fly fish and want to stay a little closer to home take the clearwater exit and head up the kane valley. Thalia lake requires a short walk which keeps out power boats and therefore trollers, the edge of the weeds on the far side is a good spot to drop your anchor and a bead head nymph. Or if you prefer to motor carry on to Boss or Davis lake. On Boss there is a beavers lodge, again on the far side, (Why is it the best fishing is allways on the far side and 5 feet out of my casting range?) that seems too hold some attraction for trout. As for myself I'm heading to Hihium, where getting skunked involves standing to close to smelly rodents.
                                                        May the holes in your net allways be smaller than the fish in it.

ko

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 09:53:42 PM »

well i have to say im pretty lucky. i work on the highway between merrit and princeton closer to merrit and the lakes up there right now are fishing really good . ive fished last sun to yestruday and hooked a few. i only fish for biggg bows so some of the lakes are challenging. but if you want to catch lots of trout try harmon lake , it also gets a great caddis hatch and it should be happinin about now with the hotter weather. nothin like top water fishing for bows . green carey works or any sedge pattern with a yellow underbelly.good luck lookin forward to your report.

luckygirl

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 05:46:48 PM »

Well, I am back and I went to Gwen Lake. After talking to many of the locals, I think I will be spend a considerable amount of time in the Merritt area.
Gwen Lake was a tough lake, and for a rookie like me even tougher. At least the view and the wildlife was amazing. I caught a 3 and 4 lb, but they where too dark to keep. Everyone seem to have their theory about what worked. Some said red patterns, while others said yellow patterns. Yet, even the seasoned fishermen where getting skunked.