Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will Pinks hit the Harrison?  (Read 2297 times)

canuckjgc

Will Pinks hit the Harrison?
« on: September 04, 2013, 01:12:10 PM »

Thinking of launching at Kilby this weekend with the kids - any chance the pinks will be there? Anything happening on the Harrison lately?

MoeJKU

Re: Will Pinks hit the Harrison?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 02:40:47 PM »

There is probably some up there right now. Not in huge numbers. They are flowing into the other rivers just downstream.

lapa

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 03:05:23 PM »

Got a few upstream today using Dick Nite under float.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 07:49:16 PM »

I have caught them in the Harrison in the past in late August, but got nada in two trips this year.  That said, your odds increase daily, and as I mentioned in previous posts on other threads, the kids will have a blast catching pike minnow and cutties, both of which are plentiful right now.  Pike minnow can be found anywhere but especially around the weed beds, but for cutties head over to the "bait store" (straight across from the launch just above and around the corner fron the rail crossing). There are also still tons of sockeye moving through the system so it is hard to key in on the pinks, but I expect more to enter the system this week.
Not all those who wander are lost

canuckjgc

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 08:30:29 AM »

Thanks - I assume the weed beds are in Harrison Bay?  I haven't been there for awhile  :-\

I have caught them in the Harrison in the past in late August, but got nada in two trips this year.  That said, your odds increase daily, and as I mentioned in previous posts on other threads, the kids will have a blast catching pike minnow and cutties, both of which are plentiful right now.  Pike minnow can be found anywhere but especially around the weed beds, but for cutties head over to the "bait store" (straight across from the launch just above and around the corner fron the rail crossing). There are also still tons of sockeye moving through the system so it is hard to key in on the pinks, but I expect more to enter the system this week.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 11:01:44 PM »

Thanks - I assume the weed beds are in Harrison Bay?  I haven't been there for awhile  :-\

Weedbeds are all over.  There is a large one right beside the ramp.  The one referred to as the "bait store" (where all the cutties were jumping) was directly across from the ramp (technically in the "Bay" but right next to the main part of the flow directly above the train bridge).  There is another large one above the #7 Bridge on the East Side of the river in front of the trailer park, just below where the river widens into the "Flats" and another large one at the mouth of the river where it meets the Fraser.  That being said, the Pike Minnow are all over right now as they seem to follow the sockeye around, not to mention they will go wherever the bait balls do and I saw one bait ball out in the middle of the flow.  So look for fish jumping and get the kids to cast nearby.  The Pike minnow and cutties will find their flies, spinners, or bait soon enough.
Not all those who wander are lost

fishman254

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 11:15:44 PM »

Yes, pinks will hit the Harrison. My notes indicate that, traditionally, Sept 19 is the start of the real RED HOT fishing on the lower Harrison for pinks, but they are in the river as we speak, just not in great numbers yet. I'm thinking of starting Sept 13 this year there, or so. Some are saying, looking at commercial test nets, that this is a late year, but I don't know.

http://www.psc.org/info_testfishing_summaries.htm#2013

http://www.psc.org/image_lower_fraser_river.htm

Guys, how closely do you think that the MOUTH of the Harrison correlates to the FRASER when it comes to pink salmon run timing? Pretty close maybe, since are the fish at the mouth of the Harrison are mainly FRASER fish that are dipping into the clearer water of the Harrison? Or not? Your thoughts?