Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need Help  (Read 1619 times)

notracy

Need Help
« on: September 05, 2013, 05:05:11 PM »

Hey was out on the river this morning and got my first spring of the year, as well as I kept a couple of pinks for some experimental cooking. Now its been a lot of years since i have kept any fish, but what I need help with is getting rid of all this "SLIME"
I took my fillet knife and scraped my spring getting rid of all the slime and scales that come off where possible. But when I did the  pinks (and yes they really are soft like everyone says!) I scraped them while running under cold water but everytime i touched them to fillet them and so on they were still slimy, seemed to actually be producing it still. So kinda hoping for everones 2cents on how they do their fish?

And FYI the pinks were in decent condition. About 3/4 chrome still. When I caught each fish I cut the gills to bleed them, tied them to a stick, in a slow current.

So what did i do wrong?? lol and TY

mattyo

Re: Need Help
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 05:20:07 PM »

Try scraping them right after you catch them....

4x4

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 07:01:49 PM »

Never put your fish back in the water.
Once you catch one. Kill it right away. Clean it and put in a cooler with ice or frozen bottles. Your taste buds will thank you later. :)

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 07:07:39 PM »

My mom swore by using vinegar for fish slime....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 07:12:42 PM »

My mom swore by using vinegar for fish slime....
All my life I have fought to get the slime off my fish when I am cleaning them for cooking or for my smoker. Today I decided to smoke some salmon up for a Birthday Gift for one of my Grand Daughters.

I was dreading the time it would take to De-slime the Salmon under running water, so I went on line and did a Google Search for De-slimming methods.

One of the links took me to a discussion on the methods of De-slimming fish. There was one Gentleman who said to use a mixture of 50% Vinegar and 50% Water. He said to get a clean little hand pump sprayer that is used to mist flowers for the job. Then you just lay the fish out, spray them down with the mixture and leave them sit for a few minutes.

He went on to say that soon you will see a white colored jelly all over the fish. The fish is now ready to be scraped under running water. When you are done the fish is perfectly clean of all that nasty slime.

I tried it and was amazed at how quickly and efficiently the slime was Totally Gone!  It works Fantastic! No fuss, no muss! I had 6 salmon cleaned of slime in a matter of 10 minutes! Try it, you'll like it and you will wonder why you never thought of it before!

Dick

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1472881
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 07:57:28 PM »

X3 on the use of vinegar

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 08:29:21 PM »

Try wrapping the fish in newspapers for about 15 to 30 minutes. When you remove the paper all the slime stays attached to the paper leaving the salmon slime free. I use this method when I fillet my salmon, except I fillet the salmon first, then just lay the fillets on a newspaper.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

sumasriver

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 08:46:34 PM »

Not a big fan of cooking/eating pinks.

I tend to give them all away at the river.  I  will wait for the coho.