Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trapping Salmon on the West bank of the Capilano  (Read 10614 times)

ALBA CHIEFISH

Trapping Salmon on the West bank of the Capilano
« on: July 09, 2012, 05:18:59 PM »

Hey Guys.

went a walk down to the shopping cart the other day to see if anybody was throwing spoons and learnt its namesake.

I understand that there is no fishing below the bridge and that the caravan park is 1st nation however there was 2 guys trapping salmon on the west bank.

is this game ?

speycaster

Re: Trapping Salmon on the West bank of the Capilano
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »

Park Royal is on native land so they can use the west bank to trap fish. Company that I worked for rebuilt the Cap from the bridge down to tidewater about ten or so years ago, Indian Affairs and DFO paid for it. Some natives were not too happy as we destroyed all their favourite fishing pools. ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 06:09:27 PM »

Only 2  ??? Wait a couple of weeks

Speychucker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 06:38:58 PM »

This has been going on for yrs. ain't ever gonna change.  >:(

GordJ

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 07:30:51 PM »

Yeah, about eight thousand years.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 09:08:12 PM »

So does that mean the fish can only get through during the really high tides?

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 10:24:05 PM »

So does that mean the fish can only get through during the really high tides?

Yes, very few make it through the weirs during low tide..

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 12:03:28 AM »

First Nations have been trapping coho on the capilano for thousands of years. It is their right, no matter whether we like it or not. Period; end of story.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 12:09:31 AM »

I didn't know they used shopping carts or iron treble hooks wrapped with pencil lead 1000+ years ago.
Fish killer 101

kalex60

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 12:58:31 AM »

I think they should be able to fish how the please only if the you traditonal equipment pretty much no modern fishing materials they dont make

StillAqua

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 04:33:11 AM »

I didn't know they used shopping carts or iron treble hooks wrapped with pencil lead 1000+ years ago.
They used wooden weirs across the river to divert the salmon into woven traps, kept what they needed and released the rest to spawn. Far more efficient than a rock weir and shopping cart. The hatchery was built to replace their salmon that we wiped out to build a dam and water reservoir for Vancouver.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 08:20:37 AM »

No we didn't, but i didn't claim that to be one of my rights and use it to my advantage, only to take/abuse a resource while others are constricted to a different way of life.

BTW, I believe all the excess fish at the hatchery are also given to the band.
Fish killer 101

samw

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 09:26:57 AM »

Good points silverghost, StillAqua, and salmonpirate.  I'm just happy with my advantages that I can fish as a recreation, making a living and taking resources from land that was occupied by other nations many many years ago.  As a recreational angler, I have no hard feelings whatsoever to see First Nations people fish for salmon their way on Reserved land.  In the whole picture, if there is any constriction in way of life going on, i don't think it is to us.  
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:22:23 AM by samw »

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 09:55:32 AM »

Don't get me wrong, when I was new to fishing I would get mad at the FN guys under the bridge harvesting their coho. But when I learned a bit more about that river and that nation, I have no problem with what they are doing.

I know a guy there that ensures the members release the steelhead and only harvest the coho.... Just in case any of you were thinking about that.

And in terms of the treble hooks and "shopping carts"... They are only using the technology of our era, analogous to us using the Internet instead of mailing letters. Why spend hours weaving a trap when you can buy a metal one and use it right away?

And what shopping carts? Yes, There are a few metal grate pieces but I haven't seen any "shopping carts" used in the past few years. If you disagree with me I would love to see photos of these so called shopping carts.

Every family gets a share of the coho caught, as a food staple. That Number is different each year, last year it was around 20.

And no, the surplus broodstock at the hatchery have been transported above the dam to spawn naturally, they are not given to the nation. I don't think they would be interested In the black+red coho anyways.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 10:11:06 AM »

Aye,its thar land,and they can do as they see fit,no business of the pale faces who angle for hoes on thee cap. Argh mateys leave the red skins to be,for they be here many.many moons before you and i set foot on thar lands. Be gone lassies and leave thar peoples be.