Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need advice on Shimano Voltaeus rod & shimano curado 200e7 reel  (Read 4597 times)

Shmoke Shaman

Need advice on Shimano Voltaeus rod & shimano curado 200e7 reel
« on: September 30, 2011, 10:44:04 PM »

I was wondering if I could get your guys/gals opinion on this combo.

Ordered a Curado 200e7 from Sea run Sea Run Fly & Tackle for $159.99

Have a Shimano Voltaeus VTC-66mh Length: 6'6" Line WT: 10-20lb Lure WT: 1/4-3/4oz Power: Medium Heavy Action: Fast, was $49.99 but I got it on sale for $14.99 .

I will be doing most of my fishing in rivers and lakes such as cap and Fraser. I spent all my money on the reel and do not have much left for a new rod.

In the case of this rod and reel combo being a bad match, any suggestions on a rod that will better suit my new reel? I can only spend approx $50 (I'm broke)

any help is appreciated, Ty
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:46:04 PM by Shmoke Shaman »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Need advice on Shimano Voltaeus rod & shimano curado 200e7 reel
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 01:30:16 AM »

You picked up a nice little reel. Its everything I wanted in a low profile reel, light weight, spools nicely with minimal weight, and super smooth. I Dont think it would be a great choice for larger springs, but then again I havent put it up to the test.

If your fishing rivers like the Cap and FRaser your rod is just not gonna cut it, youll also find the extra 4 feet on a longer rod will be alot more enjoyable to fish with. It will allow you make make further drifts float fishing as you can keep more line off the water. You can pick up a cheap 10`6 rod anywhere, I could care less if I fished with a 10 dollar rod, as long as its not a noddle or a stiff pole.
The Bigger The Better!

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 08:36:19 AM »

You've got a great light reel that should do well on the cap or vedder.
You could spool it with a 12 or 15 lb line depending on your needs.
I've got mine spooled with 12lb P-line and use it mostly for coho.
Some guys I know spool it with 15lb ultragreen or p-line and use it for spring fishing.
I haven't personally tried it.
You will need to buy a 10.5 feet rod to go with it.
I think Walmart sells at 10.5' bait casting rod for $49.95.
It will work, but a little on the heavy side.
I would recommend you spend $50 more and get a Fenwick HMX on sale as it would be money well spent long term.

Nitroholic

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 09:04:43 AM »

Pickup a convergence, best rod for ~$50

n8

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 09:34:26 AM »

Ditto Nitro. But when you say Fraser... you probably mean lower Fraser right? like casting spoons for pinks and such...? If so, that rod should work fine for you, even on the Cap

jobber604

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 07:52:04 PM »

You've got a great light reel that should do well on the cap or vedder.
You could spool it with a 12 or 15 lb line depending on your needs.
I've got mine spooled with 12lb P-line and use it mostly for coho.
Some guys I know spool it with 15lb ultragreen or p-line and use it for spring fishing.
I haven't personally tried it.
You will need to buy a 10.5 feet rod to go with it.
I think Walmart sells at 10.5' bait casting rod for $49.95.
It will work, but a little on the heavy side.
I would recommend you spend $50 more and get a Fenwick HMX on sale as it would be money well spent long term.

I agree. I was contemplating between a bunch of brands of 10"6" casting rods and I ended up with a Fenwick HMX. By far one of the lightest and stiffer entry level rods. I think that being comfortable with a lighter setup is important.

I think you got a good deal on the rod for $14.99 and your light 7.6oz reel definitely will offset the weight of the rod. I would stick with what you have now until boxing day or a sale somewhere.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 07:54:36 PM by jobber604 »

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 11:32:26 PM »

Wow thank you for all the advice! you all been really helpful.
I am definitely going to look into a Fenwick HMX. I did check one out at Sea-Run when I was ordering the reel.

jobber604

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 11:45:09 PM »

That's where I got mine. I got mine price matched. Great customer service from them. Spent the time to provide me with information.

salmonlover

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 12:51:33 AM »

I was wondering if I could get your guys/gals opinion on this combo.

Ordered a Curado 200e7 from Sea run Sea Run Fly & Tackle for $159.99

Have a Shimano Voltaeus VTC-66mh Length: 6'6" Line WT: 10-20lb Lure WT: 1/4-3/4oz Power: Medium Heavy Action: Fast, was $49.99 but I got it on sale for $14.99 .

I will be doing most of my fishing in rivers and lakes such as cap and Fraser. I spent all my money on the reel and do not have much left for a new rod.

In the case of this rod and reel combo being a bad match, any suggestions on a rod that will better suit my new reel? I can only spend approx $50 (I'm broke)

any help is appreciated, Ty

the reel is good, i was looking at one for coho this season. you should spool it up with berkley fireline crystal 14lb...its a braided line. and its the thickness of 8lb mono, so youll get more line on your reel, plus it has no stretch so better hook set and no line memory from casting...bit more money but you wont have to get new line every year. little advice set your drag right. tighten it just enough so that when you push the button down the lure just falls. you will find it easier to cast the level wind reel this way and avoid birds nest. once you get use to it you can loosen it up to your desire.

far as your rod, its not meant for short floating its more of a lure chucking rod bass rod. when you float fish you want a long rod at least 10'6 or greater. You will be able to cover more water. you want your drift to be as natural as possible and that means keeping your line off that water. With your rod you couldnt fish the far seams effectively nor let it drift down the river far, without having your line touch the water. even if you did youd have to hold you hand as high as you could and still not achieve a good drift. That is why a long rod is perfect for short floating gives you better reach to keep the line off the water in return better drift. something i learnt the hard way trial and error. save some money for next year and buy a nice long rod 10'6 or greater you should be able to get one for 150 at most tackle shops. best of luck to you.

jobber604

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 12:44:51 PM »

Adding to this discussion, how does that curado 200E7 hold up against big fish on the Vedder? Does it have enough line capacity? Its such a nice light reel.

fish fishburn

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 05:54:44 AM »

I was in a tackle shop last week and was fondling the new Curado's and Chronarchs. The 2011 Chronarchs retail for about 325.00 and the new ones for 2012 are about 180.00. The Curados have come down in price as well, but not as much. I couldn't tell the difference in the two, except the colour. The old Cronarchs fit the hand better and just seem way better built in my opinion.

The shop owner was saying he is going to get stuck with all the 2011 Chronarchs because of the price difference and the new ones are selling very well. I made a deal with him and got two 2011 Chronarchs for 230.00 each. The Chronarchs are in my opinion one of the best reels out there as I already have two and one is at least 10 yrs old. Let us know how the new Curado works for you as there are probably lots of guys like myself waiting to hear. I did buy a Curado 300E this summer and used it on the Vedder and it worked like a jewel. I filled the spool with 270 yrds of power pro so it holds plenty of line.

I got a great deal on my new Chronarchs and if nothing got two of the originals, end of an era sort of thingy