Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Smell of Salmon  (Read 5566 times)

StillAqua

The Smell of Salmon
« on: August 30, 2011, 05:40:46 PM »

I've occasionally heard it mentioned that Chinook have a distinctive smell that identifies them but I don't seem to be able to detect it with my admittedly weathered nose. What exactly does it smell like? Fishy? Earthy? Vanilla with a trace of lemon and moss overtones? Can everyone else smell it? Is it only Chinook or only certain runs of Chinook that smell?

milo

• Old Timer
Re: The Smell of Salmon
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 06:13:31 PM »

The notorious Harrison white chinook run (transplanted to the Vedder) is the one with a peculiar stink. It smells like a decomposing fish that was left for a day in a plastic bag along with an open tub of dated sour cream. Compared to its smell, old Feta cheese is expensive perfume.

I can detect that stink creeping up my fishing line when I hook into one of those brutes. If I accidentally touch them, I have to wash my hands three times with odor killing liquid soap before being allowed into my own home after a day of fishing.
If you happen to transport one of those in your car, the value of the vehicle automatically depreciates 20%, as no detail interior car wash will ever rid your vehicle of the smell.

They are so stinky that they render your smoker unusable when you smoke one of those. No amount of brining gets rid of the bitter aftertaste. Despite that fact, you will see many people on the Vedder in October carrying some seriously dark (even black) fish to their vehicles and sheepishly state they are 'good for the smoker' when you look at them in shock while holding your breath.

mattyo

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 06:25:16 PM »

I'd describe it as muddy or earthy.

purplehelmet

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 06:43:26 PM »

That was awesome, Milo ;D
It's NOT good for the smoker!

StillAqua

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 08:29:57 PM »

That was stomach churning, Milo  :P

James

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 08:35:21 PM »

they are one fish that you don't mind using a "long line release " method for .

iCemAn

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 08:52:28 PM »

The notorious Harrison white chinook run (transplanted to the Vedder) is the one with a peculiar stink. It smells like a decomposing fish that was left for a day in a plastic bag along with an open tub of dated sour cream. Compared to its smell, old Feta cheese is expensive perfume.

I can detect that stink creeping up my fishing line when I hook into one of those brutes. If I accidentally touch them, I have to wash my hands three times with odor killing liquid soap before being allowed into my own home after a day of fishing.
If you happen to transport one of those in your car, the value of the vehicle automatically depreciates 20%, as no detail interior car wash will ever rid your vehicle of the smell.

They are so stinky that they render your smoker unusable when you smoke one of those. No amount of brining gets rid of the bitter aftertaste. Despite that fact, you will see many people on the Vedder in October carrying some seriously dark (even black) fish to their vehicles and sheepishly state they are 'good for the smoker' when you look at them in shock while holding your breath.

I learnt this the hard way many years ago in more ways than one should ever experience!

I helped my dad land a big ol' male spring on the vedder that was "ready" for his lady friends. When I tailed it and picked it up it "released" all over me! I know I'm irresistible but come on... I still have that smell/image imbedded into my memory for eternity!!!!!! I have never targeted springs in fresh water to this day because of that. Ok, I need to go shower again.
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 09:01:51 PM »

When fresh (even in the ocean) all chinook seem to smell metallic - like the taste of coins.  The red spring I got 10 days ago on the Fraser smelled the same to me as the fresh springs I have caught in the Vedder.  I agree that you don't want to keep anything that is turning dark, especially a white spring, but the fresh one's I have to admit I like.  I first tried a fresh white spring when I caught a couple of chrome jacks on the Vedder.  When they are fresh (chrome), the meat is pale pink, and turns white when you cook it.  Of course, more of the fall fish have been turning out to be marble lately, and I did get a red spring last October, so who knows what you may catch.  

Oh, and I can't say as I have had any trouble with white springs stinking up my smoker.  The foulest fish I have ever caught was a chrome coho which had a 1" seal bite on its side.  Lesson learned.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 10:09:36 PM »

I use white springs for the smoker,mind you not the boot kind and i have never had a problem with smoking them. Milo maybe its your brine:)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 10:45:03 PM »

Many, many, many years ago Ted Peck on his Sunday evening fishing show on CKWX told the story about the Canadian Institute for the Blind Fishing Derby. Ted said the blind participants in the derby can readily tell if the fish they landed is a chinook by the distinctive smell.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 11:20:31 PM »

If you happen to transport one of those in your car, the value of the vehicle automatically depreciates 20%

AHAHAHAHA. Thanks for the laugh!

no detail interior car wash will ever rid your vehicle of the smell

Long live Seinfeld!
A rig out of water catches no fish.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 03:59:18 PM »

haha, you hit the nail on the head in the last part buddy