Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salsbury Lake - Fall edition  (Read 4999 times)

TheFishingLad

Salsbury Lake - Fall edition
« on: November 05, 2015, 07:41:42 PM »

So I returned to this lake after being spurred on from my summer trip of catching a tiny Kokanee wanting to find out how big they actually got in this lake. Getting in was a bit rough as the rains made the water crossing and soft-ish sand less ideal. It's worse than it looks.

After making it through I stopped for another picture

With the difficult 4x4ing out of the way I was left to enjoy the sweet melody of bush scratching my paint

Once at the lake, I unloaded my kayak, paddled around for a bit looking for an inlet creek, I realized It was too cold, so I paddled all the way back to my truck, put thermals and fleece/toque on, and went back to searching. I found my creek flowing where there was once no water during the summer, which certainly wasn't deep enough to allow any Kokanee to swim up, but nonetheless there were hoards of them waiting around for more rainfall to push up to spawn.

After some dicking around I managed to entice one to bite my lure, which was the only one swimming around with a lower jaw seemingly unhinged. My consensus is this is as big as they got, as everything I saw was the same size.

With that, I got back in my Kayak and fished a leech with a full sink and found quite a few trout lurking around, biggest of which maybe being 1lb, but feisty on a 4wt.

As for lakes that yield fish, this isn't the best. As far as access goes, if you cherish your paint or have a stock 4x4, probably not your best choice. Next days off Ill be doing the Nicola region more..the big fish are hard to stay away from.

Edit: If anyone has/knows of any lakes that have very difficult roads to get in and would like to know how they fish, PM and I'll see if I can manage it in (or I may have already been and can let you know). I'm always looking for an adventure and, well, 99% of the lakes don't get a report like this. I just feel it's nice to share that the Kokanee in Salsbury lake have survived over the years without more stockings.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 07:46:54 PM by TheFishingLad »

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
Re: Salsbury Lake - Fall edition
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 08:42:28 PM »

Thanks for report and super nice pictures. Didn't expect a such small kokanee  can spawn already. Very likely
they are overpopulated and stunted.

sbc hris

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 09:53:35 PM »

Excellent report, thanks!  ;D

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 10:51:19 PM »

Very cool.
Thanks for that. :)

TheFishingLad

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 08:27:46 AM »

Thanks for report and super nice pictures. Didn't expect a such small kokanee  can spawn already. Very likely
they are overpopulated and stunted.
There is certainly a lack of food for the numbers in the lake. I'm just surprised how small the trout are with how many very small Kokanee are kicking around.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 08:36:03 AM »

If you're looking for an adventure, and looking to get in the Nicola region, check out the Roche lake chain. Head in Smith fsr to the power lines and into Frisken lake. The section from the power lines to Frisken can be real swampy even in the summer time. I wouldn't try it without a winch or another truck around. From there carry on to Bulman lake. There is a small area to launch if you take the fork to the right of the lake or carry on left there is another open area to camp / launch. We stayed at Bulman for 2 weeks a couple summers ago scouting for a moose draw and didn't have a single other person pass our camp in 2 weeks. From there head on to Ernest lake. Tough fishing for us here. This road carries right on back out to the power line which will take you over to Barnhartvale or back to Smith fsr depending on your choice.

We had a blast exploring this little area, so close to one of the most popular lakes in the region, without seeing a soul. This time of year a winch is probably a good choice. The first mud pit by Frisken is enough to sort out the riff raff. That said the area will probably be teaming with quad hunters through the area as they would make short work of the trail.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 06:58:53 PM »

that's not a bad little kok' for a nutrient poor coastal lake. IIRC at one time Salsbury was subject of a nutrient enrichment program to enhance it's fishery but that got cancelled due to lack of funds.

Great photos and narrative. Thanks!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 08:32:22 PM »

Thanks for the post, good reading. I've wanted to head up there, but not sure about getting in. :) this really helps.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 10:06:35 PM »

Thank you!
It ain't the roe bro'