Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye bottom bouncing and other fisheries.  (Read 2674 times)

mikeyman

Sockeye bottom bouncing and other fisheries.
« on: September 02, 2018, 08:44:52 AM »

Now that the fraser is closing. The fishery brings out many new anglers. When other fisheries start up on other rivers. Then we see a big increase of pressure along with long leaders and snagging of salmon that would otherwise bite. Maybe it is time to start a thread on how to of short floating, spoon, fly, and bar fishing. I just wish the dfo would put restrictions on leader lengths. Snagging is illegal but rarely enforced from what I have seen over the years with more people snagging then actually fishing with selective methods. It is disappointing to see and really puts a fun fishery to shame taking some enjoyment out of it. More exploring to find not so busy water is all that seems to help.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Sockeye bottom bouncing and other fisheries.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 08:53:28 AM »

the Fraser is not closing. Maybe re-read the DFO notice.

I have actually seldom seen people bottom bouncing the Vedder or Stave. Mostly they did not do well.

Those who do likely do not visit this discussion board.

However such a thread would be good opportunity for certain gear fishers to call all fly fishers flossers as has been the case in the past.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 08:55:43 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 09:31:57 AM »

the Fraser is not closing. Maybe re-read the DFO notice.

I have actually seldom seen people bottom bouncing the Vedder or Stave. Mostly they did not do well.

Those who do likely do not visit this discussion board.

However such a thread would be good opportunity for certain gear fishers to call all fly fishers flossers as has been the case in the past.

Oh yeah they do.

On the Save they just watch a float to the rig. It's still bottom bouncing.

chironomidking

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 10:36:03 AM »

Oh yeah they do.

On the Save they just watch a float to the rig. It's still bottom bouncing.

Bottom bouncing is not snagging.  Flossing is not snagging.  Both are legal fishing methods used for different fisheries.  Both can also be done using fly gear.  Bottom bouncing roe used to be the most widely used method for steelhead.  Just because some people prefer (like me) to use other methods like fly fishing, short floating, spinners, spoons and jigs, it does not give them (or me) the right to tell others that their fishing method is wrong.  Keep only your limit, don’t intentionally snag and pack out what you pack in.  Life is good. 

mikeyman

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 11:02:38 AM »

Sockeye closing whatever dude. The type of fishing we see now is not trying to get the fish to bite while bottom bouncing. Long leader ripping that is plague of the vedder. Spend a few mins down around keith wilson in 3 weeks. Count the snaggers vs ethical anglers. Snaggers will outnumber. Sugar coat the problem by nitpicking a post be blind to it or maybe u r one that needs to stop snagging.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 12:46:39 PM »

Snaggers have been around ever since I have been fishing the V-C which is around 40 years. I won't go near KW bridge in the fall.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 01:39:55 PM »

There is no lack of bottom bouncers on the Stave and the Vedder, and it seems worse to me in sockeye years. We havent had a sockeye opening in some time so we'll see in a couple months if that special technique increases on the other rivers this year... However I do think that sites like this do help as I also see more people using like stuff like spinners spoons and jigs in recent years.

FWIW I fished the stretch a few hundred meters below KWB a couple times last season and didnt see a single flosser. Everyone was 100% legit.

The OP has good intentions but chironomidking is right in that as long as flossing is legal, no one has the right to tell anyone else what is the 'proper' way to fish. There's no such thing, though we can try to educate and encourage other methods as much as possible, though if the FWR community say flossing the Fraser is A-OK but not the Vedder seems very hypocritical IMHO.

re: snagging enforcement, it's really hard because you have to literally catch them in the act of foul hooking and retaining said fish. You cant inspect a catch after the fact like you can for many other violations.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 03:25:39 PM »

Float fishing for Coho with pink woll used to be a common.

Did they bit it or get snagged?

ByteMe

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 04:28:51 PM »

Sockeye closing whatever dude. The type of fishing we see now is not trying to get the fish to bite while bottom bouncing. Long leader ripping that is plague of the vedder. Spend a few mins down around keith wilson in 3 weeks. Count the snaggers vs ethical anglers. Snaggers will outnumber. Sugar coat the problem by nitpicking a post be blind to it or maybe u r one that needs to stop snagging.

Read Reply #459.............same topic, different thread

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=42156.450
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 07:16:53 PM »

Bottom bouncing is not snagging.  Flossing is not snagging.  Both are legal fishing methods used for different fisheries.  Both can also be done using fly gear.  Bottom bouncing roe used to be the most widely used method for steelhead.  Just because some people prefer (like me) to use other methods like fly fishing, short floating, spinners, spoons and jigs, it does not give them (or me) the right to tell others that their fishing method is wrong.  Keep only your limit, don’t intentionally snag and pack out what you pack in.  Life is good.

I never mentioned anything about snagging.