Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alternate sources cheap baitcaster parts?  (Read 2806 times)

Animal Chin

Alternate sources cheap baitcaster parts?
« on: November 23, 2011, 10:00:20 AM »

I have a small baitcaster. Rod and reel combined is like $60-70. A few of the teeth on a plastic gear wheel is worn down, the actual part from the manufacturer is like $10. I'm thinking it should be like .25 cents....

I suppose it's a very specific item, but is there anyplace that would have a selection of small parts like these and hopefully I'll luck out with something suitable... Radio Shack, hobby stores???

Any ideas?

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Alternate sources cheap baitcaster parts?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 10:12:17 AM »

I have a small baitcaster. Rod and reel combined is like $60-70. A few of the teeth on a plastic gear wheel is worn down, the actual part from the manufacturer is like $10. I'm thinking it should be like .25 cents....

I suppose it's a very specific item, but is there anyplace that would have a selection of small parts like these and hopefully I'll luck out with something suitable... Radio Shack, hobby stores???

Any ideas?

You would be hard pressed to find parts that fit exactly with those in your reel.  The tolerances of those parts are very precise, so much so that if its off by even a fraction, the reel will not perform properly.  Most if not all those parts were made specifically for your reel and not anything else.  Whenever I need to replace parts on my Shimano reels, I just order them through Shimano of North America.  Much cheaper than buying your parts through local reel repair shops.

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 10:21:39 AM »

Buy a proper rod and reel, leave the Zebco gear at home..

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 10:31:49 AM »

Buy another cheap baitcaster reel if that's what you want to keep using.   Black Friday is coming up and there lots of sales every where, even on-line.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 09:06:13 PM »

Abu Black Max is probably around $80 out the door.  Felt like a pretty decent reel even compared to reels twice the price.

Animal Chin

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 09:53:01 PM »

Abu Black Max is probably around $80 out the door.  Felt like a pretty decent reel even compared to reels twice the price.

That's the reel I have. The reel is actually pretty decent, I like it quite a bit. The gear was worn down due to my error, I forced it when something got jammed in the level winder. It still works, just not sure for how much longer or if it will slip.

It just seems kind of wasteful to just get another reel when the problem is just a tiny tiny piece of plastic. All other gears are brass but for this one piece. Guess it's just the way things are these days, you're encouraged to replace rather than repair.

I emailed Abu Garcia. They want $10 shipping in for the part. I got the reel and a 9' MH rod for $70 all in.  When I took it apart, the tolerances didn't look as tight as I'd expected, hence wondering if the part is pretty generic.

Thanks though. I figure I'll use it for now and hope for the best. At least I know how to take apart my reel now and know better than to spaz out when frustrated with my reel.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 10:01:47 PM by Animal Chin »

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 10:04:41 PM »

Mikes Reel Repair in Abbotsford might have it.

Dogbreath

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 10:13:54 PM »

It just seems kind of wasteful to just get another reel when the problem is just a tiny tiny piece of plastic. All other gears are brass but for this one piece. Guess it's just the way things are these days, you're encouraged to replace rather than repair.
No you have that wrong-what you broke is often called a Lawyer Gear-it's made of plastic so it will break before someone's finger does if it's caught in the level wind.

Consider it must be a special type of plastic to stand up to brass-one of the 10,000+ different kinds extant.

I used to fish with a guy who was really really cheap he used margarine to grease his reel instead of petroleum jelly like all us kids did.But when the temp dropped he was screwed because the margarine solidified-it never pays to be cheap with important things like fishing-think about it.

jacked55

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 08:53:29 PM »

X2 for Mikes. Awesome place, super friendly staff. And decent prices.

Animal Chin

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 11:12:53 PM »

X2 for Mikes. Awesome place, super friendly staff. And decent prices.

haha.. actually, just checked my messages, Mikes got back to me and has the part I requested for $2. Not .25 cents but you can't even get a gumball for that anymore, so that's fair enough.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. And you're right they do seem super friendly.