Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: jeep advice  (Read 1659 times)

dan-o

jeep advice
« on: July 17, 2009, 11:48:24 PM »

i don't know if this is really the venue, but i trust your fishing advice and fishing and offroad seem to go hand in hand. my subaru is great but not always enough, so i am buying a newer (2000-2005) jeep tj. any advice on better years, what to look out for, models?

thanks and good fishing.

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: jeep advice
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 11:23:09 AM »

Some words of advice would be to have the jeep put on a hoist and thoroughly inspected by a mechanic to check for any damage, and signs of rough use by the previous owner. Also, service records of all worked performed on the vehicle would also be something I would ask for.

jimmywits

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 08:37:53 AM »

Have a declaration search done, this will tell you if the vehicle has been in any accidents whereby damages exceeded 2000 dollars. It will also tell you if the vehicle is from out of Province,  you don't want a very used vehicle from back east, as it will likely develop rust problems. The search costs about 15 dollars and is done through I.C.B.C. I have really enjoyed my cherokee, I like the extra room the cherokee offers.

tight lines 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 08:43:47 AM by jimmywits »

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 10:30:41 AM »

You know JEEP stands for - Just Enough Essential Parts!

Shooter

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 11:43:37 AM »

I would definitely do your home work before buying a used jeep.  avoid anything that has had alterations done to it like lifts, suspenison work, or bigger tires.  00-05's aren't a bad year as the older ones are prone to cracks in the doors from the vehicle flexing.  also keep in mind that they were designed for off roading so they ride a little ruff!

bcguy

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 02:41:24 PM »

A jeep will never ride like a caddy,
but a caddy will never wheel like a Jeep.
I've had my YJ for 10 years, and I still love it!!!
I wouldnt worry too much about mods. There are so many people who put the lift and tires on, and the vehical nevers sees anything past a dirt road, or a bit of road side construction, best thing to do is have it inspected, but I would say that about any vehical you buy...and make sure you get the 4.0 liter....and remember, Real Jeeps are built, not bought.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

lude98r

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »

BCAA does a pretty good mechanical inspection, they will also come to the the truck. Good luck

steelhead

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 09:45:01 PM »

20 years in the Auto parts business tell us STAY AWAY FROM JEEPS.  The electrical system is crap ,,,no central fuse block in the older ones , all fuses are in line. Cooling is way too small for modern hard pulling 4x4. As a tow vehicle they are all too short of a wheelbase.........  Be VERY careful friend.
Be sure to check out Toyota before you actually buy. They are a bit more expensive BUT way better built and worth lotas more at trade in time. The Jeeps are a "chick 4x4" mainly for looks only. Talk to anyone you know up country or Alaska , they just can't make it.
Your money is just too hard to come by so be very careful,,,,,,,,sorry for the negative talk but its best to hear diff. opinions befor you spend all you rextra money on parts and fixing. BUT us parts guys just LOVE jeep owners.....................
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 09:47:46 PM by steelhead »

bcguy

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 09:17:36 AM »

There';s a reason they've been around since the wars, they are the original and real 1/4 ton 4x4, if you are looking at hard pulling or hauling, just like any other vehical, look for the better models, if you want to pull, get a tranny cooler, and go with the Dana44 rear. All vehicals have thier share of problems, but as a Jeep owner of YJ's and Cherokees, they are a GREAT 4x4, if you have the money, go with the Rubicon models, they have the upgraded components. They can outwheel a hummer (drug dealer grocery getters) right off the lot.
A short wheel base makes for the best 4x4 (it's why you dont see Toyotas, and full size in rock crawling, or other technicallly demanding events), and the solid axles give you the strength, as well as the ease of installing a lift kit. Indpendent suspension is okay if you want a vehical that rides like a car, but you'll pay more for the lift, and you'll never get the kind of strength or axle articulation you'll see with solid axle...having said that, Toyotas are a good 4x4, just more than they are worth.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

jimmywits

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 10:06:03 AM »

Toyota makes an excellent product,but they are silly expensive. After years of experience in the car business( both new and used, cars and trucks ) I never got over how people would pay stupid money for them. We loved getting them in as we knew there would be a huge commission for one of us. My Jeep Cherokee has been an excellent vehicle in every way, even though it is long of tooth.