Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Down to two options: Shimano Calcutta 400B or Daiwa Luna 300  (Read 28620 times)

fish.on

Re: Down to two options: Shimano Calcutta 400B or Daiwa Luna 300
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2010, 01:54:26 AM »

I was also planning to buy 1 those 2 reels.  I have a question for someone who knows about the Luna 300 reel.  The setup is I have the new out of the box reel on a 10'6" rod with a 1oz weight on the line. When I have the cast control knob completely tighten, then press the spool release thumb bar, the weight free falls without any resistance. I expected the weight to stay and not fall at all ( just like my abu garcia c3 6500). I'm doing this to test and adjust my cast control.

Does anyone expect this as a defect or its the feature of the reel. Thanks for any input.

I took the reel to Mike's Repair. The guys checked it over and saw nothing wrong. He even tried to put a metal shim into the cast control knob but it didn't work. There is still no resistance. He said it was very strange and he hasn't heard of this issue before. So I took it back to the store and the sale guy took out 3 new out of the box luna reel to compare and see if there is an issue...and guess what...all 3 reel had the same behaviour.  The sale guy also thought it was very strange and couldn't explain it. So finally I called the Daiwa rep to ask them. They said the reel is not designed to completely stop a 1 oz wieght from falling. And that was his answer...

I think it is wierd that the reel cannot stop a 1 oz weight...even more wierd that there is no resistance...

Does anyone use the luna and have this behaviour? Might lean towards shimano...

Justin

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2010, 04:28:06 PM »

In my experience with the knob cranked it can hold up to 3 - 4 oz.  You might just have to play around with knobs some more.

Justin

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2010, 09:33:07 PM »

i have just tried to tighten up the cast control on my 3yr old luna and it does not tighten much,so that must be normal on this reel.i dont use it for sockeye so have not used more than 3 inches of pencil lead.no problems with this reel ever, mostly used in the vedder,cap,squamish. my buddy got a luna this summer and was throwing 3 oz betties on the fraser with no problems. he bought it because his culcutta te400 kept having problems. i use a ct400 on the fraser its a work horse of a reel and easy to service yourself.i also think the luna is close to the TE calcutta but better value for the money.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 08:08:50 PM »

Those who used a Luna 300 this winter on the Vedder, can you please tell me a little bit about your experience? I am down to 2 options for a new baitcasting reel and would like to know how they compare (400B Vs. Luna 300). I normally fish the Vedder, Fraser, Stave and Cap. Many thanks!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 08:27:21 PM »

Luna is by far the better reel. It is more comparable to the Calcutta TE series.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 01:54:18 PM »

Luna is better than 400b ,not quite as good as te but close and cheaper. i have all 3. i like to use my calcutta 400b on the fraser, because of sand and its my oldest reel

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »

Luna is a really well made reel.
However, also consider 253 instead of 300 if you are going to use it for steelhead/salmon fishing on river.

azafai

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 02:54:36 PM »

I have a Luna 300 and love it.   Fraser or Vedder, the real is great for both..  I only change the rod to a medium heavy one if I am using it for Fraser..  Great reel... smooth....worth every penny.

Silex-user

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2011, 07:01:14 PM »

Just pick-up a Luna 253 for my son when I went to A&N to get my son (Juvenile) Tidal water license 2011-2012. Pretty good deal with 15% off with  angling license renewal.

Silex-user

RainbowMan

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2011, 07:19:09 PM »

Just pick-up a Luna 253 for my son when I went to A&N to get my son (Juvenile) Tidal water license 2011-2012. Pretty good deal with 15% off with  angling license renewal.

Silex-user

Do you mind if I ask you how much you paid for that reel? Thanks.

RainbowMan

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2011, 07:21:48 PM »

I have a Luna 300 and love it.   Fraser or Vedder, the real is great for both..  I only change the rod to a medium heavy one if I am using it for Fraser..  Great reel... smooth....worth every penny.

How long have you been using your Luna and how easy is it to do basic maintenance on this reel? I wonder if the Fraser's silt can reduce the reel's lifetime.

Silex-user

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2011, 07:39:26 PM »

At A&N the regular price was at $329.00 but with 15% off it paid for portion of HST.

Silex-user

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2011, 08:50:34 PM »

calcutta its a smooth reel to cast, diawas nice but isnt as smooth.
i had a luna 300 a couple years ago and it was a nice reel but i wore it out after 3 years.my dad has a calcutta 200(i think) and hes had it close to 4 years and works like new just scratched.
i now fish a pin and love it tho  ;D
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2011, 10:39:44 PM »

At A&N the regular price was at $329.00 but with 15% off it paid for portion of HST.

Silex-user

Not sure where you learned math, but if you get 15% off it would cover ALL of the HST and still take 3% off the ticketed price leaving you at about $319.

RainbowMan

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2011, 10:43:50 PM »

Thanks guys for all your inputs. I called A&N and they don't have Luna 300 in stock now. I just ordered one on eBay - $265 delivery included.