Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River anchour set-up  (Read 8349 times)

Verdi

River anchour set-up
« on: March 12, 2008, 07:23:46 PM »

Hello I am welding up a heavy current Fraser river anchor for a friend’s boat

It is a rocking style with a sliding ring as to make it easier to pull out of the water.

What I need to know is the boat is an alumaweld 18 ft with a 115 horse power motor.

The anchor is 20lbs, is this sufficient it has a pretty aggressive claw so grabbing the bottom should not be a problem.

Also what size and length of chain would be a good choice?

Thanks a lot.

Also is there a special way to rig up the anchor so if you have to chase down the fish it is easy to throw a buoy overboard.

tnt

Re: River anchour set-up
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 08:55:30 PM »

20 Lbs is way to light... I would be in the 30-40 LB range.. and 3/8 chain for sure
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

Verdi

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 09:02:50 PM »

Thanks guys      looks like the arms are going to get a work out, hauling that bad boy out of the water, i will add some more weight to it.

I will shoot for 35lbs.+the chain it will be heavy..

Ps how much rope do you use..100 ft good.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 11:20:28 PM »

Hey verdi..wanna make me a 30lb one?? ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

Verdi

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 08:58:54 PM »

Sorry Roe kid

As you can tell i really don't know what i am doing and would not feel comfortable selling an anchor.
It might not work very well.

Morty

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 12:57:12 PM »

The key thing is to get the teeth/claws at an open enough angle so that they'll easily bite in.  Unless they've got enough downward angle they'll just skim over the grapefruit sized rocks.   

Our experience is that 1/2 the time the anchor must land on it's side so the teeth aren't pointing down.  it just free-slides along the bottom in faster water.  I've often wondered about adding something that will cause the thing to roll over so the teeth are down.
??
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

flatlander

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 04:23:36 PM »

Anyone have a pic or sketch on how to rig up the buoy?  Where's the best place to get galvanized chain and rope?  How much rope do you need for the Fraser?

Thanks

clownfish

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 02:09:32 PM »

Flatlander, I'm not sure if it's the best place, but Princess Auto www.princessauto.com carries a variety of chain and rope, there is also Popeye's Sailors Exchange http://www.popeyesailorsexchange.com/ in N. Van. as well as Steveston Marine  http://www.stevestonmarine.com/ in Langley or Steveston, to mention a few. As far as the length, as mentioned above the chain should be at least as long as your boat, mine is about 1.5x's at 24 feet with a 17lb Danforth style anchor and over 100ft of 1/2" anchor rope. And from what I've been told you need to let out from 5 to 7 times as much "rode" (rope and chain) as the depth you are anchoring in, IE. 10ft. of water 50 to 70 ft. of rode. This is what I've used up around the mouth of the Harrison and Island 22 areas and I usually only have to set once. The so called Fraser River anchor might work better, I haven't had a chance to compare it myself.

umpo4

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 02:10:22 PM »

The rocking chair type will hold in any moving water. I anchor in 10-35' water without a bouy, but when you release to chase a fish a buoy must be on you're line. Chain is important but not as long as most use. 4-5 feet is plenty ti hold the front of youi're anchor down till hooked in. The rope tho must be 3 ft for every foot of water. IE 30' deep 90' of line...........

chum dad

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 06:52:47 PM »

I found this site helpful when i started out, it's for anchoring on the Columbia but i would think the same info would do for the Fraser; http://www.nwfish.com/Sturgeon/anchoring_and_boat_handling.htm

steelhead

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 07:49:58 PM »

Be careful using danforth type, they will hook up too well,,,, sometimes you want the anchor to pull free. In the case of a log or drifting junk coming down on you're rope, if it doesn't pull out your Bow will suck down till something gives and usually is not good. 30lb is plenty ,,,,mine is about 25 lbs for a 17' river sled boat. Weight answers nothing if the design is wrong. The Fraser bottm is constantly moving ( gravel ) so you must penetrate the gravel thru to a solid bottom, therefore make your flutes Sharp. I have some pic.s of mine with measurements but can't figure out how to attach a pic. to this forum yet..........rookie